Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: El Pescador  (Read 16130 times)

Offline losgiganteskid

El Pescador
« on: April 12, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • Just browsing through the recommended restaurants and surprised there is no mention of El Pescador in downtown LG.  We always eat at this restaurant on our visits and have never had a bad eating experience regarding the food which is always excellent quality and plentiful, the staff very efficient - the gripes are that the restaurant is quite small and there seems to be too many tables.  You will get bread rolls and a sauce dip brought to your table (whether you ordered it or not) - in the summer months it does get very hot in the restaurant despite the numerous fans.

Overall, a nice place to eat and reasonable prices
    I wanted to be the Cincinnati Kid - but couldn't spell it

magsnmike

Re: El Pescador
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • We have eaten there a couple of times and found the food to be quite ordinary.  The waiter moving around so quickly gets annoying.  I had finished my wine and the glass had barely touched the table before he whisked it away.  I like to relax in a restaurant, not feel rushed as I do in there.   Pescador in Puerto Santiago is a much nice experience.

Offline janey

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • we were in 2 weeks ago.  havent been for a while. we used to go all the time several years ago, but, dont know why we stopped but we did.

horrendous meal 2 weeks ago.  my son ordered spaghetti bolognese - it was spaghetti with tomato sauce on top, hardly any meat. shocking. he couldnt eat it, we complained but the waitor shrugged his shoulders. it was still on the bill at the end of the meal.  everything else was ordinary.
    it will be another few years before we go again.

heard nothing but good about mistinguette though. determined to go this summer - difficulty getting in sometimes i think.

Offline Mary

• Old Hand
    « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • Yep Mistinguette always on our favourite list. They do a set menu at a very good price and lovely fresh veg with it, in fact we felt it was the best value in L.G. simply because it was good honest food at reasonable prices, and Clive tries very hard to please.
    I know it's nice to eat the local fare but after we've been out for a couple of weeks I crave fresh veg, sad I know but there you are!!

Caroline

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • El Pescador was one of our favourite restaurants on our visit last year - we ate there twice as it was so nice.  Agree with it being far too hot in there - not too bad if you are lucky to get a table by the window but stifling if you're unlucky to be sitting on the inside tables.  We thought their steaks were fabulous, which is why we ate there twice.  Be a shame if it's gone downhill, which is what seems to being reported by people who've eaten there recently. We'll give it another whirl on this year's visit just to make sure and I'll let you know what we think.

Also ate twice at Mistinguette last year and for exactly the same reasons as posted above.  Lovely fresh veggies and excellent, friendly service.

Offline losgiganteskid

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • Ironically, although I was flying the flag for El Pescador on my most recent visit I had the "special" - lamb (which was superb) - but their cardinal sin was to have NO mint sauce.  Going to take my own in next time !

BL

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • No mint sauce with the roast lamb in San Francisco (by the Barcelo in Puerto Santiago)....but the lamb is cooked with rosemary and absolutely superb. The only place I've had mint sauce is El Meson (by the pharmacy in Puerto Santiago) but the lamb wasn't well cooked!!!!

Offline losgiganteskid

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • You can have a nice lamb (either on or off the bone) at Mirandas - they always have mint sauce  ;)

spidersco

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • We were out at Los Gigantes in Feb and certainly won't be going back to El Pescador ,it certainly has gone downhill since last Oct ,we walked in looking for a table and Tony waved a hand and said "you sit " ,no "Good Evening " or how are you tonight , We decided to have the mixed fish grill  for two , ,but before we had a chance to say we wanted a started the menu was wisked away ,the standard of the meal was not the best we've had in El Pescador ,and the service was very poor , it seems that as we had the set menu mixed fish grill and house wine for two costing ?24 Euro's ,you get a poorer standard of service ,when asked about our little shot when paying the bill ,reply was "sorry Tony say's you don't get as you didn't spend enough money !!!!!

Offline Julie Scott

• Old Hand
    « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • We havent been to El Pescadors for years.... reason being they were fine when we went in.... rather hot though, we were having our meal then i noticed a large party came in looking for tables... there were empty tables near us and i said to my husband i bet they sit them there.... but unfortunetly there still wasnt enough seats for them.... they looked straight at us as the other seating option.... we were then hurried out of our table.... we had just put our knives and forks down then was asked if we wanted coffee which we said no... then about two seconds later the bill arrived.... talk about resting after a meal... NOT... they hovered at the table for us to pay.... we paid then as we got our butts off the seats they moved the table towards the other ones.... it was awful.... never been back since.... we always mad a point of having one of two meal there whilst we were over but that experience to put us off for life.... there are alot more restaurants in LG and area... so subject yourself to ingnorant money hungry people like that..... rant over with.... thanx for listen... lol!! ;)

Offline losgiganteskid

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • We decided to have the mixed fish grill  for two , ,but before we had a chance to say we wanted a started the menu was wisked away ,

Perhaps you should have given your order for your starter prior to your order for the main course !!

Offline losgiganteskid

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • when asked about our little shot when paying the bill ,reply was "sorry Tony say's you don't get as you didn't spend enough money !!!!!

By "little shot" I guess you mean a complimentary drink with your bill - I wouldn't have the nerve to post a negative just because the restaurateur failed to provide me with a free drink to which I thought I was entitled  :o

Offline losgiganteskid

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • that experience to put us off for life.... there are alot more restaurants in LG and area... so subject yourself to ingnorant money hungry people like that..... rant over with.... thanx for listen... lol!! ;)

I agree - I would have felt most annoyed if that had happened to me - but to "put you off for life" is a bit dramatic.  Go on - give 'em another go  :-*

spidersco

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • Perhaps you should have given your order for your starter prior to your order for the main course !!,

In reply to  losgiganteskid ,the waiter appeared at the table and it was a remark between my partner and myself  "saying are we having the mixed grill" ,it was taken as an order and menu's were removed before i could comment ,
    Does it really bother you to pass comment  !!!!!!!,
    i have my opinion and if i wish to post a negative ,then so be it

Offline losgiganteskid

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011 »
  • Publish

• Does it really bother you to pass comment  !!!!!!!,

It bothers me not !

I also had one of the set menus (Lamb) and found the service to be fine, not brilliant but fine and apart from the absence of the mint sauce it was most enjoyable.

Will I be going back - you bet  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Davymar

• Old Hand
    « Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • Is Cartman ok?

BL

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • Can I now confirm that mint sauce is offered at San Fransisco in Puerto Santiago and adds a
    nice touch to the already excellent roast lamb.

stevejclark

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • Very interested to read the varied comments re El Pescador. We used it regularly for a few years when we first visited LG (approx 8 years ago), then one Christmas we noticed that their prices had increased, but then went back down to the usual prices after the New Year. Decided not to go back out of principle, as no other restaurant seemed to do this temporary price -hike over the holiday period. Also, the service was often rushed, as other people have commented. We have found Fettucines (Vigilia Park) to be consistently good value, with great food and friendly staff. They didn't even put up their prices on New Year's Eve, as many establishments do.

Caroline

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • I posted on this subject back in April as being quite surprised at the negative comments as we'd always had a good experience at El Pescador previously.  Having been back there twice since that post - feel I should share what happened.

First visit was very early on in our holiday - so we were all a bit pasty faced and obviously new arrivals.  They were so welcoming, friendly and the service and food was faultless - we had the Chateaubriand, which although expensive was gorgeous.  We were never rushed and at the end of the meal we were presented with mini bottles of chilled sparking wine and our son got 4 lollipops.

Second visit was on our last night - we'd had such a good experience the first time, we all decided to make it our final dinner of the hols. By this time we were all nicely tanned and 'seasoned looking'.  This experience was the complete opposite to the first visit - not welcomed or shown to our table, but told to "sit wherever", service was rather unfriendly and slow, food was definitely not up to the standard of our first visit (and we ordered the Chateaubriand again).  I take on board the point above that you have no right to complain when you don't get a freebie drink at the end of the meal but we had got a little taste of something in every other restaurant we'd eaten in on that holiday and this was one of the most expensive meals we had there plus we spent more on this occasion than the first one (had wine with our meal instead of beer) - so the argument that you have to spend a certain amount before you qualify doesn't seem to be consistent with our experience.  Our son did get a lollipop though.  Maybe they were having an 'off' night, but it made me think the following.......

Personal opinion:  if you look as if you've been on holiday a while and about to go home, you're not worth the effort but if you look like you've just arrived and might eat there lots, you get the special treatment.  If this is true then they should remember that a lot of people who visit LG return year after year (us included) - so treat them nice all the time, or they won't come back to your restaurant next year!

My rant over with now.....

Offline losgiganteskid

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • Crikey Caroline - you've given that posting some thought !!. 

The service and non showing of a complimentary drink or lollie being dependant upon the colour of your skin - now that's dangerous territory    ;)

How exactly do they access your tan ? - do you have to show them your "white bits" ?

It begs the question what service a family from the West Indies would receive !

Caroline

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • now now - no need for that kinda talk LGK!  Just my opinion - that's all, which apparently I'm entitled to.