Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Asturius Restaurant  (Read 2231 times)

Offline LucyW

Asturius Restaurant
« on: June 16, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Anyone any info on Asturius Restaurant. Thought it was just closed for the annual 3 wk holiday but told it has shut down completely due to rent review. Cafe section still open so not sure what the situation is.
    « Last Edit: June 17, 2018 by LucyW »

Offline linda

Re: Asturius Restaurant
    « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • As far as I know it's holiday  hope so  cafe is also theirs.

Offline frogeddy

• Old Hand
    « Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • This place consistently gets the worst restaurant reviews in LG. We have eaten there twice and both times the food was truly awful ..... and the service (by a real miserable git) was even worse. Nothing would persuade me to patronise this place again. So my fingers are well and truly crossed and hoping that it has closed down.

Offline SandyLea

• Old Hand
    « Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Yes, we had the miserable git too and tinned veg. Don't want it to close though, just up it's game.

Offline linda

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Menu bit lacking in choice but they do a great chateaubriand  and sirloin  staff ok with us.

Offline tomfer

• regular contributor
    « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • It was awful.

Offline Mary

• Old Hand
    « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Havenít been in for years, once was enough for us, it was truly dreadful.

Offline LucyW

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • I will answer my own question and confirm the Asturius restaurant has closed down. The coffee shop still has a period to run on it's lease but I hear that will also close when that expires. The village badly needs to re-think it's strategy as a couple of other restaurants are currently up for sale due to high rents and low occupancy.

Offline frogeddy

• Old Hand
    « Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Which restaurants are up for sale?.....

Offline LucyW

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Paraiso and Iberecos

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Gods Work
    « Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • which one is Paraiso

Offline frogeddy

• Old Hand
    « Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Surprised ...... they are both very popular restaurants .......

Offline javars

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Yep Asturius Restaurant was the worse experience we have ever had in LG (coming since 98) the food was adequate but the service was from possibly the most miserable waiter in the world.

Offline LucyW

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Pilgrim, just higher up the hill from the Tamara, on the opposite side of the road.

Offline linda

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Surprised about ibericos he's doing well and better than when he was up hill.

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Gods Work
    « Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Of course, it's the one with the Late Tommy Cooper lookalike outside, trying to drag you in.

Offline Mary

• Old Hand
    « Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • We love Ibericos, and like Linda we thought they seemed to be doing well, obviously they have their reasons but when you find somewhere this good itís a shame if it changes hands.

Offline tomfer

• regular contributor
    « Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • It's the all inclusive stuff again. Ibericos was or is a decent restuarant.  Shame if it is true.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Sorry to post again but this can't be true

The pork chop main and lovely staff

Is this just a wind up regarding ibericos

Offline frogeddy

• Old Hand
    « Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • LucyW .... I'm having difficulty confirming your info regarding Paraiso and Ibericos restaurants being up for sale ..... Where did you hear this? ......

Offline LucyW

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • I was told about this by the proprietors of two other local restaurants and in the case of the Paraiso it was also confirmed by a member of staff.

Offline janey

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • it is the all inclusive hotels deals which are responsible for the closure of many restaurants.  the hoteliers are also politically responsible for the letting problems.  they have a huge stronghold on the spanish governments.  basically, they do not want you to visit spain unless you sleep in their hotel beds and eat and drink in their hotel bars/restaurants.  they dont care about the local people nor local infrastructure. they are a powerful group.   

Offline Mary

• Old Hand
    « Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Agree totally Janey, it is so upsetting to see the results of such shortsighted actions. I can see why families find all inclusive attractive, but older people with more spending power are being pushed into using hotels because of the lack of other decent self catering options, which obviously means less spent in restaurants and bars.

Offline blarer

• Old Hand
    « Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • one of the reasons behind the purge on " illegal holiday lettings " is the need for the Spanish Government to recoup taxes for Holiday Lettings, that many private property owners avoid. The authorities are taking action, read the articles " Vivienda Vocacional on Janet Anscombes web site. Looks like it might be going to local authorities to decide their stance on the matter,

Offline unhappy

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • I know this should be on a seperate post but it is important to the well being of the West of the Island LG, PS, PA & Var, the tourist figures are already down due other less desirable countries which have now come back onto the market.

Like most Government's they are reactive not proactive and with the considerable pressure and clout from the hotel group Ashotel they dracronianly fined anybody who owned a property, some of them like myself & others I know have lost tens of thousands of Euro's because we were found guilty with no proof at all.

We have now sold our property, but this area has been our second home for over 20 years, one of the reasons we sold was, we had to have a sole agent who's fees were 60% if he rented & 40% if you obtained a rental, and you were allowed 1 month a yrar for friends & family and if you needed to rent that was his rules.

After contacting ASCAC.es this is the very good organization that is fighting the Government over its tourist policy and they told me the costs for the sole agents was not as bad as some agents enforce on owners.

What is needed is the Government to scrap the sole agent policy and anybody who wants to rent their villa or apartment to pay say Ä1 to 2000.00 a year for a licence depending on bedrooms and use the Inspectors to check these properties are at least 4* any owners not maintaining their property to this standard would loose their licence and would not be allowed to get it back. This would improve the rental stock and bring back properties to the market for more tourists to spend money locally. 

Offline unhappy

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • blarer, that is not the reason for the government taking the action it was the power of Ashotel claiming private rentals were taking their beds along with my suggestions above of course you will be required to pay any tax that is due.

As for the site you mentioned it recommended it a certain lawyer to use when we were fined along with costing us over Ä4000.00 each we were not very impressed. They also started a group to fight the fines one of them was the estate agent who sold many of the properties who were fined. The main organization fighting the government is ASCAV.es

Offline SandyLea

• Old Hand
    « Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • People don't use the restaurants much in LG because the hotel is half board, b and b is not an option there I'm afraid. I would prefer to stay there b and b and eat out in the evenings but if you're paying for dinner in the hotel in your total price, you'll eat there.  TUI don't have any other option other than half board.  El sombrero is self catering but the accommodation there is a bit basic and lots of people who stay there, cook in their kitchens and eat in. The royal sun is too much of a slog up and down hill for people to keep doing every evening so they don't eat out much. Poblado is looking scruffy so LG in general must up its game if it wants to compete with other resorts who have moved with the times more and look freshly refurbished.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • We stayed at the el sombrero apartments in March for the first time in los gigantes and they were excellent

They catered for people having a vase and with the localsupermarkets being great we had breakfast and lunch there

With the ibericos I hope it does not shut down or the Astoria teas room which we have visited regularly for years

Offline janey

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018 »
  • Publish

• What is needed is the Government to scrap the sole agent policy and anybody who wants to rent their villa or apartment to pay say Ä1 to 2000.00 a year for a licence depending on bedrooms and use the Inspectors to check these properties are at least 4* any owners not maintaining their property to this standard would loose their licence and would not be allowed to get it back. This would improve the rental stock and bring back properties to the market for more tourists to spend money locally.

i totally agree.  but, ashotel do not want this to happen.  or people like sandylea will be given a choice of where to stay again....... and the hoteliers want sandy lea to shun self catering and take their half board option.  this is why no touristic licences are being given anymore, unless its 30 miles inland - very rural, and of course, sandy lea doesnt want to holiday there.  so kind of ashotel to offer him that. he will have to take their hotel option instead.

Offline tomfer

• regular contributor
    « Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018 »
  • Publish
  • Try El Marques Palace - they have a touristic licence.