Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Masca Walk opens Sat 27th March 2021  (Read 588 times)

Offline Dolly Diver

• Administrator
Masca Walk opens Sat 27th March 2021
« on: March 17, 2021 »
Advertisement
Masca Walk opens again on Sat 27th March

Walkers beware:  This is a tough walk and the boats no longer have permission to pick walkers up and bring them to the Los Gigantes Marine.  After the tough walk down you then have to walk back up!!!!

The following was posted by Jo Lamb "Que Pasa"

Dear intrepid adventurers!  The Barranco de Masca, one of the most spectacular landscapes of #Tenerife, reopens this Saturday, March 27, after three years closed, and it will do so in a regulated way and with a reservation system, according to the  Cabildo of Tenerife
 🏞️🌿Located in the municipality of #Buenavistadel Norte, the Masca ravine runs through one of the oldest areas of the Canary Islands, with seven million years of history.  It is a spectacular ravine with a section of very close vertical walls that leads to a small jetty.
 ℹ️ Below we detail the main aspects to take into account in the new system of regulation and reservation of tickets:
 🔸To reach the ravine, Masca can only be accessed by public transport from Buenavista del Norte or from Santiago del Teide.
 🔸In order to access the ravine, it is recommended to reserve the entrance in advance at www.barrancodemasca.com (this website will be operational as of today, Wednesday, March 17).
 🔸You can also reserve your ticket at the Masca Visitor Center, although availability for the same day is not guaranteed.
 🔸 For the moment, this entry will be free, although at a later date, a rate of 8 will be charged for Canarian residents, and 16 for non-residents.
 🔸The ravine is not recommended for children under 8 years old.
 🔸The trek will be carried out wearing a helmet and requires a ❗️high physical effort.❗️
 ‼️🔸 You can only go down and up the ravine (in no case will the trip be made by boat).‼️
 🔸Access will be in groups of 25 people every half hour.
 🔸The opening hours of the ravine will be from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. in summer, and from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  in winter (at the moment, only weekends and holidays).
 🔸Three control points have been established at the beginning, in the middle of the ravine and on the beach.
 🔸Active tourism companies will have 50% of the tickets reserved.
 Turismo de Tenerife #SomosTenerife #DestinoBiosphere #SomosSostenibles #SomosTurismo #VisitTenerife Tourism Buenavista del Norte

Offline dorada

Re: Masca Walk opens Sat 27th March 2021
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021 »
I'm utterly disgusted how anything that's even remotely fun is regulated to death or shut down.
Just because some idiots got stuck on the walk and needed rescue. Ruined it for the rest of us.

Offline Dolly Diver

• Administrator
Re: Masca Walk opens Sat 27th March 2021
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021 »
It's more do do with politics.

Masca is part of the Buenavista municipality.  They pay for the upkeep of the walk and the jetty. The way it was running was only to benefit the municipality of Santiago del Teide.  Taxis, boats picking up walkers and taking them to Los Gigantes, retaurants in Los Gigantes then benefiting from hungry, thirsty walkers.  It's been a political argument for many years.

I know one thing.  I regularly walk in the mountains generally over 10km and after scrambling down that masca barranco in the heat there is no way I would want to walk back up again.  I just wonder how the authorities will deal with the poor unsuspecting tourist who walks to the beach and is unable to scramble back up again!!!