Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Luxury apartments  (Read 749 times)

Offline Pete

Luxury apartments
« on: February 12, 2021 »
Advertisement
I see there is some good news from the Ayuntamiento Santiago del Teide on their Facebook page.
The demolition of the derelict eyesore building at the entrance to Los Gigantes is about to start in the next few days.
Replaced by new luxury apartments Aqua Suite 2.
Aqua Suites 1 also to be built by the same company next to Jacaranda apartments.
Letís hope itís not another false dawn.

Offline Foxy

Re: Luxury apartments
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021 »
Believe it when I see it Pete. However, hope they do get on with the demolition now whilst most of us can't be there to suffer the noise and dust etc it will inevitably create. Has to be some kind of silver lining to this enforced absence from LG !

Offline nophead

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021 »
Good news even for us here. Can't believe they have been there so long.

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021 »
Lets hope no one mentions the resident Bat colony, and the crested newts!
Oh it's okay their Swallows and Geckos! Phew!! Better knock it down double quick!

Offline unhappy

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021 »
Any news on this eyesore being knocked down, or was it just another rumor, also how is the construction of the luxury Apts that Paul Ruane has been selling next to the Royal Sun, only when we were there last year & left in May there was no building work & the site had been mothballed.

Offline nophead

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021 »
I think the demolition has started because there were no blocks in the top two floors of the left side when we looked up at them on our way to LG yesterday. As far as I remember both sides had block work all the way up but I could be mistaken.

Paul Ruane's has been active while we have been here and has most of the floors constructed as concrete shells. They are both in about about the same state, one going up an the other down!

Offline dorada

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021 »
Looks like there is now a container at the dilapidated house above the village. It's good they finally do away with the squatters who have taken up residence there. I'm quite the progressive thinker but breaking into other people's property is never justifiable in my eyes.

Offline Pete

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021 »
I donít think itís a rumour anymore.
There was an article in the newspaper El DŪa confirming the demolition was due to start.

Offline nophead

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021 »
I was surprised to learn they are 30 years old. I had assumed they were left from the 2008 crash. That means they must have been there when we first came in 1997 but I can't remember.

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021 »
I know that the Spanish cover all the buildings in mortar render, hiding all the blockwork, sometimes good, often bad. But just looking at the structure, you may wonder if a structural Engineer would ever be able to sign it off. Just looked to light weight for the height, even though it was cut/built in to the hillside.

Offline nophead

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021 »
The basic structure is the reinforced concrete frame of pillars and beams. I doubt the block work has to be anything special.

I heard a rumour that the ceiling heights were too low to pass building approvals but that might be just an urban myth. I did once count the blocks to try to work out how high they were. The apartment we are in has higher ceilings than our house at home.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021 »
Our late son was 7 when we first took him to LG he would have been 41 this year & they were there then

We also went to a holiday home show at the NEC some years later only to find them being advertised as a new development under construction. (Buyer beware buying off plan).

When we returned to LG we found out, rumor or fact, that they started to build penthouses on the top and due to erosion the walls below started cracking, ever since then it has been left abandoned & the local council refused to pay for its demolition.

What I could never understand why the council gave permission for the Royal Sun & the latest development by PR without including this to be knocked down.

Offline Pete

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021 »
Aparrantly, according to the article in the newspaper, the Mayor Emilio Navarro, whoís been in the job 6 years, finally managed to unravel all the litigation of the company that built them, so they they could be demolished allowing the new company to build the Aqua Suites 2.

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021 »
I spoke to Mayor Navarro and he was confident work would start imminently.  That was two years ago!

Offline unhappy

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021 »
It seems odd that they can reposses your property if you don't pay your bills but they can not knock down a derelict eyesore that has been there for decades.

LG has been one of the worst run councils, look how long it took them to sort out the cliff problem on the beach, LG should be one of the best & up market areas on the coast but it lags behind many other areas.     

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021 »
I also spoke to Mayor Gorin over 10 years ago and was told that the situation had been passed to Madrid for resolution.  It was incredibly complicated due to the builder having gone bankrupt, the banks taking possession and the building being declared unsafe.  At that time Sr Gorin predicted it would take many years to sort out.  He got that right.