Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 1180 times)

Offline cs

Insurance
« on: December 09, 2020 »
Advertisement
we're thinking about staying for one or two longer periods rather than flying back and forth so often over the winter months but a I need to find an insurance company who will cover us for longer absences can I ask those of you who already stay for longer periods who you have your UK house insurance with and how many days your policy allows you to leave your house unoccupied.

Offline unhappy

Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020 »
Our's is with Lloyds we are covered for 90 days

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020 »
we're thinking about staying for one or two longer periods rather than flying back and forth so often over the winter months but a I need to find an insurance company who will cover us for longer absences can I ask those of you who already stay for longer periods who you have your UK house insurance with and how many days your policy allows you to leave your house unoccupied.

We are with Aviva and normally stay in Tenerife for six months, pre Brexit. Through Aviva we take out a supplementary extension which is quite cheap.

Offline cs

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020 »
Thank you both, Iíll contact them both for a quote.?

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020 »
Saga also do extensions on the normal 30 days non-occupancy.  You then phone them before you go and get a quote for the extension.  90 or 120 days is no problem. 

We were with Aviva Distinct for travel and home and 90 days was an option for both.  However they have dropped the travel insurance for over 75's, so we now use our Nationwide+ account for travel and this is free, but with endorsements for length of holiday and age.  They also do extended non-occupancy home insurance, but for us it was much dearer than Saga.

If anyone knows of any other companies that offer 90 days non-occupancy home insurance twice a year, without the need to phone for an extension, I would be interested.

Offline Davymar

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020 »
I don't know if this helps or not, we used to use Andrew Copeland, we rented out property in Greece, plus we used them for a uk property, they allowed the house empty for 90 days or more, they were very good to deal with, also covered us for renting out and public liability.
https://www.andrewcopeland.co.uk/

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020 »
Thanks, Davymar.  I checked with Andrew Copeland and unfortunately they do require a chargeable endorsement to be added to their standard home insurance policy if non-occupancy exceeds 30 days. Same as Saga, but a bit more more expensive. 

Offline Davymar

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020 »
Sorry about that Tanemara, it is 5 years ago since we sold the Greek properties, so we have not used them since, they have obviously tightened their terms up!

Offline nophead

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020 »
And now the UK government has taken it of the safe list, so back to travelling against FCO advice.

Offline cs

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020 »
Thanks again to the people who replied to my question with helpful and to Tanemara for saving me a phone call. Nophead  Iíve  asked my question, got my answers and thanked the people who have answered, the end, your comment is irrelevant to the question

Offline nophead

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020 »
Actually it is not against FCO advice this time, just quarantine when returning, so insurance should still be valid.

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020 »
They have now just reduced the uk return Isolation from 14 days down to 10 days. If it were 7 days would maybe still go in January?

Offline nophead

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020 »
There is talk of being able to take a test to get out of quarantine after a week following a test at day 5 but I don't know if that will definitely happen.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020 »
Yes read that about a month ago! If it was introduced would def. make a difference, and maybe fly out. We were only out for ten days, again to sort things out etc..  And get some weather and the rest. Happy to have testing etc.. and we are sensible etc..

Offline nophead

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020 »

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2020 »
Nophead, that's great, have not changed the flights for early January, so will be out now with that news!!!
Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee