Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 3184 times)

Offline unhappy

Coronavirus
« on: September 26, 2020 »
Advertisement
I see Tenerife has been put in Special measures until the 10/10/20 due to a sharp rise in contamination.

Offline nophead

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020 »
Yes it's odd though because they used the rate of the capital instead of the island average. The threshold is 100 but only the capital is above that, the island average is low 40's. It was on the way down again but a big spike yesterday.

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020 »
When you consider driving from Santa Cruz to L.G. only takes around 80minutes, then itís understandable they use the capital as a guide. Not like driving from Cornwall to Durham?

Offline nophead

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020 »
Yes but I think all the other islands they used the total not the capital and they are even smaller. Perhaps the cases were more evenly distributed.

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020 »
Do you think the government will lift the lockdown on December 2nd as previously said!
I am planning to return in early December! But should I book tickets!

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020 »
Do you think the government will lift the lockdown on December 2nd as previously said!
I am planning to return in early December! But should I book tickets!

Can you afford another £200 per person for a 72hr prior to flying test?

Offline unhappy

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021 »
I see the that the figures for Tenerife are finally coming down, only 1 reported case in Icod, but worryingly Gran Canaria are on the Increase 54 cases reported.

As the figures keep yo yoing from Island to Island are there any restrictions on these types of travel, are Covid negative test certificates required ?. 

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021 »
Assuming you mean island to island travel, Unhappy, the following from hellocanaryislands.com/corona virus dated dated 29 January answers your question. Lots of other info on restrictions in the same article.

6.Can I move freely between the islands?
Of course. One of the great advantages of visiting Canary Islands is that you can discover several islands on the same trip. The islands are all very different from each other, which makes the trip all the more interesting and enriching.

Movement between the islands is fully reinstated at the moment, with daily connections that allow you to easily get from one island to any other, either by plane or by boat.  You can travel between the islands with airlines Binter and Canaryfly or shipping lines Fred Olsen, Armas, Biosfera Express and LŪneas Romero.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021 by Tanemera »

Offline unhappy

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021 »
I do know about the other Islands as we have visited most of them, in fact we were due to stay for a short visit from Tenerife to Gomera last winter but it was when the first case on Covid was discovered, it was reported an Italian tourist carrying the virus had travelled between both Islands.

It seems by your reply there are no restrictions between any of the Islands, I wonder if that is the reason why the 3 main Islands figures keep going up & only go down when each Islands restrictions are changed, also my figures were from the official Government site.

Perhaps it might be a good Idea to bring in testing from Island to Island as they do for outside visitors to stop the peaks & troughs that the Islands seem to be getting.

Offline Pete

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021 »
Not sure that allowing inter island travel is a great idea if your trying to control the virus.
We have a good example with the Isle of Man. They stopped just about all travel to and from the island and now life is near enough back to normal for them. No masks, no social distancing, pubs, shops and restaurants open.
Mixed feelings for me today, I should have been packing for my trip to Los Gigantes tomorrow but obviously cancelled. But on on the positive side I get my vaccination today, hopefully the start of better times ahead.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021 »
Pete I know how you feel, really enjoying the snow & the cold instead of our usual 3 months in Tenerife, at least we are getting something right 10 million getting the jab, we had ours 2 weeks ago.

Offline nophead

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021 »
I think there were restrictions for local travel between the islands when Tenerife was the highest and in special measures, so I presume there is for Lanzarote now it is level 4, brown. Never seen a brown traffic light but I expect it means in the sh1t.

Very difficult to keep track of the regulations when they change about every two weeks in two different countries for nearly a year now.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021 »
One good thing for us due to the lock downs, because we have saved so much money not being able to spend 3 months in Tenerife & our 6 week visit to Australia business class of course.

My wife has just purchased a new car, made in the UK of course, none of that German or French rubbish thumb's up for Brexit

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021 »
Just a thought for those who would normally be in LG this winter. It has been proved that vitamin D is effective in possibly keeping Covid away. That is why they think "BAME" peoples are more likely to become ill. Due to their skin colour they absorb less sunlight and hence vitamin D. So as not getting our winter sun,we have been taking supplements. If you are not already doing so, maybe you should!

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021 »
Unhappy, did your wife purchase an Aston Martin?

Offline nophead

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021 »
Our EasyJet return flight on 15th March got cancelled this morning but they offered us the day before or the day after for a free swap or a refund. Looks like they are consolidating flights to fill the planes.

I picked the day after as one more day here has got to be better than at home but after I realised we need to get a test now, so moving from Monday to Tuesday makes that easier. When we originally booked it in October it wasn't a consideration, so we picked the cheapest day with a couple of weeks spare before the end of our 90 day allowance.

It seems the UK will accept lateral flow tests, which are quick, so we will try to get those.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021 »
Pilgrim, unfortunately no,  I did suggest that to her & said she could have my Jag, but she said don't be silly we are not spending that much money just for you to pose driving around in it.

After almost 50 years, she knows me only to well,  but let's enjoy life while we can.

Offline linda

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021 »
What car as very few UK ones

Offline unhappy

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021 »
She has purchased a new Honda, I know it is not British owned but it is made in Swindon by British workers.

The same principle I purchased a new Jaguar, again not British owned but made in Birmingham by British workers.

We have been Mercedes owners for decades, we voted for Brexit and after the disgraceful way the EU are treating us, we have put our money where our mouth is, Buy British again please.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2021 »
I think the Brexit deal Lord Frost was pretty amazing, shows hard ball works. I know there are some hiccups with the NI/Eire border at moment, but these will resolve themselves.
Good for you for buying British produced cars. Although to German/Japanese engineering standards!
We had a Mercedes 190E from the late 80's, a lovely car, classic Merc design and quality. Then in 2001 bought a new C220 Compressor Saloon, which is still in the family as passed on to our son a few years ago, and still going well! In the last few years have been getting into the Classic cars. Have got a 1966 Ford Mustang, and to celebrate Brexit bought a 1971 MGB (it had to be British), and also a Fiat Cinquecento.
All different but good to drive, and spares all readily available. Oh and recently a 1963 Lambretta LI 125.
Just need a bit of non lockdown and good weather.
May get the MGB over to LG if possible in the future.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021 »
I know this is deviating from the virus subject but deals are only any good if both sides adhere to the rules, the EU seem to be making theirs up as we go along, like the Astra Zeneca ban about turn.

Perhaps we should stop all the Mercedes & VWs coming into the Uk while we check they have not falsified their emission figures again & and see if the Germans like it.

I did see on the news last night that British food shops abroad are having difficulty getting stocks of British goods because of EU red tape.

Now back to Coronavirus I see Jet2 have stopped all flights now until the 15th of April I wonder if other airlines will follow them & how will holidaymakers forced to stay more than the Shengen 90 rule will be interpreted by the EU, by their last actions re the vaccine, they will be sending out the police to arrest them.

Offline nophead

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021 »
Well the standard police response is deportation, hard to do if there are no flights!

Offline cs

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021 »
Ryanair have flights at the end of March

Offline unhappy

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2021 »
I did say I wonder if the other airlines will follow like they did last time.

Nophead the last rumour I heard, they have asked those that came over in the inflatables, if any of them want to go to the UK.

They will assign 2 of those that do to an inflatable, round up those that are overstaying the 90 days and send them back across the Atlantic, mind you could end up back in Africa..

Perhaps I should not joke, somebody from the EU or JA might read this & think it is a good Idea.

Offline nophead

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2021 »
We left a couple of weeks to get back if the flight is cancelled. Perhaps a Spanish flight to Madrid, or a ferry, who knows?

Not too worried about it at the moment but I did expect the world to be in a better state in March than it was when we came in October but it seems it will actually be worse because the mutations are outrunning the vaccine development, so there is no end in sight to the government trying to control the uncontrollable.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2021 »
It is not just the British Government that is trying to control the spread it is almost every Country in the world, all either were too late controlling it or thought they had but were totally wrong, you only have to look at most of Europe, little vaccine & moaning about those that maybe did not get it right at first, but did not need 27 of them to make up their minds to order the vaccine.

We were left stranded in Feb 2020 until May, yes the weather was great but total lockdown was not very funny in Tenerife.

If you want my advice I would take the first chance to get back to the UK before you will be required to get 3 negative tests & isolation in a hotel in the UK all at your cost, you should then be able to get the vaccine in the UK

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2021 »
Whatever do you mean Nophead? Weíve had our first vaccine which prevents us being hospitalised or dying, thatís huge progress as far as I can see. Oh dear, trust you to throw cold water on our uplifting reassurance from the scientists, medics and doctors here in  UK. We are three weeks into our first vaccine and reassured that the Kent virus which is far and away most prevalent in U.K.is well controlled by vaccine. Please, please, please stop with the criticism, we are hanging by threads here, trying to hang onto some good news whilst stoking up the fire and turning up the central heating.

Offline nophead

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2021 »
We don't want to come home early because life is much better here. I think we already need three tests, one before flying and two more in self isolation. No idea how we get those. I would sooner just isolate longer.

The idea of the vaccine was it was supposed to allow life to get back to normal by summer but because of the South African variant they are not going to allow international travel for the foreseeable. However there is probably more of it in the UK already than there is here. And the virus mutates in similar ways in each country, so even if they had kept it out a local version could crop up.

Every single covid policy of the UK government is a fail. Prevent deaths and protect the NHS, that went well!

Test and trace: they are testing 600,000 per day but what does it achieve? It didn't stop the second and third waves.

We have been pretty much locked down for most of a year in Manchester apart from a few weeks in the autumn. What has it achieved? Nada, there are more cases now than there ever were.

Offline Mary

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2021 »
The virus doesnít spread itself, itís spread by people, many who simply have the mantra that they will do as they want and sod others.
Yes our government have made mistakes, but to say every policy is a fail is quite frankly not only incorrect, but quite astonishing.
Iím glad I live in Britain, where at least our vaccine roll out is leading the world, Iím sure you will be far better staying away from here for as long as possible, and obviously seeing as the government have made such a mess of things,you will refuse the vaccine on principle.