Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Restrictions  (Read 10616 times)

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
Re: Restrictions
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2020 »
Advertisement
Santiago del Teidi and San Juan are a long way apart, almost impossible to safely walk to! You are an Enigma! Unless you are in a mobile home I have no idea where you live!  Maybe somebody has!!
Answers on a post card please?

Offline nophead

« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2020 »
For Santiago del Teidi we walk up the Camino Royal, which is a well signposted path up the side of barranco. It is not unsafe but it is hard work. More often we stop at Tamaimo though, have pork stew at the Arepera Girasol and return.

For Playa San Juan we walk along the concrete path to Alcala which is perfectly safe and then the clifftop track to San Juan. Pretty safe if you have walking boots as long as there isn't a calima. We like to eat at La Vinoteca which was a hoot on market day with with musicians and loads of seniors up and dancing. I don't think that will happen any more!

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2020 »
Hi nophead, thanks for your detailed reply. i assume you don't have a car as you say you walk everywhere, but do you have any idea what the situation is further afield - say walking along the coastal path at Adeje? Or on Los Cristianos seafront? Is it as equally relaxed there? I know there is an exemption if outside urban areas but I'm not really sure how to interpret that. We in LG in February and could really do a break there this winter. I agree the mask rules are getting stricter on the mainland but as the state of alarm does not apply to the Canaries i am still hoping this rule might get relaxed.

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2020 »
Hi nophead, thanks for your detailed reply. i assume you don't have a car as you say you walk everywhere, but do you have any idea what the situation is further afield - say walking along the coastal path at Adeje? Or on Los Cristianos seafront? Is it as equally relaxed there? I know there is an exemption if outside urban areas but I'm not really sure how to interpret that. We in LG in February and could really do a break there this winter. I agree the mask rules are getting stricter on the mainland but as the state of alarm does not apply to the Canaries i am still hoping this rule might get relaxed.

I can assure you the rule for wearing masks EVERYWHERE is as strictly enforced on TENERIFE as it is on the mainland. When walking , by law, you still need to wear a mask wherever you are, unless you are actively running or Nordic walking. Even walking onto a beach - you need not wear one actually in situ on your sunbed or towel or actually in the sea swimming, but otherwise you must wear one. Police are active in issuing fines, though how many would see you actually on the walk from Santiago Del Teide down to Los Gigantes is open to discussion! Certainly whilst walking to Alcala in August in 30į we encountered two local policemen checking people out.

Offline nophead

« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2020 »
Well it isn't being enforced in LG now. And it isn't actually possible to walk up steep hills in a mask as I stated before. It becomes wet and then you can't breath through it, start gasping for air and have to take it off. It isn't physically possible to keep wearing it.

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2020 »
Well it isn't being enforced in LG now. And it isn't actually possible to walk up steep hills in a mask as I stated before. It becomes wet and then you can't breath through it, start gasping for air and have to take it off. It isn't physically possible to keep wearing it.

If I can walk up Cardiac Hill in 30į heat at 74 years old then I think I have justification in disagreeing with you!
As to not being enforced in LG, Jo Lamb, Jason Burke, Holly, Lindsey and Jim and many many other business owners are most certainly enforcing the law on mask wearing, albeit politely but firmly. Newly arrived holidaymakers who are unaware of the law will find after todayís meeting between Emilio and police, that laws will be reinforced.

Offline cs

« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2020 »
Weíre just back home and completely agree with what Angiebabes has said, you canít make your own rules up nophead, if you canít comply with the rules when your walking up a steep hill get a taxi

Offline nophead

« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2020 »
Cardiac hill is nothing, try continuing up past Mercadona to the dagger roundabout from sea level, its 400ft mostly up with a flat section from the fish woman roundabout.

We are not going to use a taxi because that is for more likely to spread infection and we will get fat and fat people are the ones that die from covid.

Anyway at least 50% of the locals don't wear masks over their nose outside. We don't see tourists walking up steep hills but they all wear masks as we do. We wear then on the flat and downhill but not over our noses uphill.

Joggers don't wear masks because it would also be impossible.

We are going to try to find the thin cloth ones. They have no effect on spreading infection as they are just a single layer of cloth but they might be easier to breathe though than surgical masks. So perhaps we will give up any benefit to comply with the law, which as usual is an ass. There is no point wearing a mask in the open when there is nobody close.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2020 »
That is quite a journey by foot to do on a daily basis, but as you say it will keep you fit. And I guess
at sometime a few years down the line you could always get electric bikes or scooters.

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2020 »
Quote:
If I can walk up Cardiac Hill in 30į heat at 74 years old then I think I have justification in disagreeing with you!
As to not being enforced in LG, Jo Lamb, Jason Burke, Holly, Lindsey and Jim and many many other business owners are most certainly enforcing the law on mask wearing, albeit politely but firmly. Newly arrived holidaymakers who are unaware of the law will find after today’s meeting between Emilio and police, that laws will be reinforced.
[/quote]

Not sure who these people are you are talking about but if businesses you're probably talking about enforcing wearing masks inside. Nophead and I were discussing the merits and leniency of wearing them OUTSIDE, I don't think either of us have a problem wearing them inside for 5 minutes.

The police were probably enforcing it more in August as the rule had only recently come in then.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020 by paulaf »

Offline nophead

« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2020 »
We usually go from 400ft to sea level and back several times a day. Went to the bank in LG this morning and will go to eat this evening.

Another problem I have is that I seem to have become allergic to my mask. I have started to get hey fever like symptoms wearing it now. Not sure why. I don't normally get hey fever in the Canaries. There are a few things in flower, so perhaps it has trapped some pollen. I will try a fresh one this evening.

Offline nophead

« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2020 »
So we walked down to LG and had a meal at the El Pescador. Nearly all the locals we met on the way down were wearing masks around their neck or just over their mouth. The few that wore them properly were young. A few blokes didn't wear them at all.

We only saw about a dozen tourists in the whole of LG. They all had masks.

There was only one other couple in El Pescador, which would normally be busy. The waitress and the cook were both keen to talk and we got free drinks. They are desperate for more customers. Sad to see a successful business be hobbled by governments through no fault of their own. Governments should not be able to stop people going about their legal business.

On the way back we saw a few more locals with masks around their necks and then not another sole once we started up the hills.

The fresh mask still made my nose run although it didn't make me sneeze.

Offline will

• Old Hand
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2020 »
With the new air bridge open from the UK.
Now the Tenerife government is proposing every visitor has to have a negative test for COVID prior to arrival.
For tourism in the canaries one door opens and another closes, but health may have to come before economy.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2020 »
Still do not understand people on this site, Tanemera, asked a simple question, which was expertly answered by Angiebabes.

We now have 7 pages mostly about masks again, I don't understand why anybody that would go to a hot climate for almost 6 months & then complain about wearing a mask because it is to hot & uncomfortable, because they like to do a marathon every day in a very hilly area.

The point is people who have gone there knew the RESTRICTIONS ie THE LAW, wear the bloody mask stop moaning about it, or fly back to the wet, damp & soon to be very cold UK, where you will need more than a mask to keep you warm.

Like the rest of Europe the Virus is out of control again mainly caused by people who disregarded the advice, because they thought they knew better, some who are now DEAD or even worse have passed it on to somebody else who is very ill or dead.

I have now booked our winter break we arrive December & leave the end of March, my wife & myself will be wearing a mask, we will adhere to all the rules no matter how daft we may think they are, it is called being a responsible person, its a pity others that enjoy the the advantages of Tenerife but moan about other things, we will have a post soon people moaning about how hilly it is, the easy answer stay in LA.

Offline AWOL

• Old Hand
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2020 »
Unhappy

Well said. Could not agree more.

Hopefully we will get there in January. Keep the news coming when you get there in December.

Here in Guernsey life is pretty much normal since July when as a community together we beat the little critter to death. Reluctant to leave our little utopia. Not sure how long it will continue but it is great whilst it lasts. A lesson for the rest of the world. Do as the experts say. It does work as we proved it.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2020 »
Seems they are bringing in Covid testing for visitors! No proper details yet, hope we can arrive next week b4 it is implemented.
Nophead, sad to hear about El Pecador, guess it is not really worth them opening!
Imagine that by the time you treked home you were ready for another meal!
We will be adding to the local economy next week!

Offline nophead

« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2020 »
We always comply with laws while those around us don't but it is simply impossible to walk home to our apartment with a mask over our nose and we can't do the impossible.

In LG most of the locals seem to be working to the previous rule where you only had to where a mask if you couldn't keep your distance. They wear them round their necks and pull them up when passing.

Also JA keeps reiterating that you have to wear a mask between sips of a drink or you will be fined by the police. However that isn't what happens in bars around here. The staff say you can remove your mask when seated. We keep them on until the drinks arrive but don't put them on between sips as that would be mad and totally against WHO guidelines.

When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Pilgrim,
It is the same in all bars the restaurants. Only one or two tables occupied. Hard to see how they can make profit with three staff. We had a mixed meat grill for two and will not need to eat for days. It was two of each of these: large fillet steak, pork chop, smokey bacon, chicken breast, lamb cutlet plus chips, salad and a bottle of wine for EUR30.

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2020 »
Quote:

Not sure who these people are you are talking about but if businesses you're probably talking about enforcing wearing masks inside. Nophead and I were discussing the merits and leniency of wearing them OUTSIDE, I don't think either of us have a problem wearing them inside for 5 minutes.

The police were probably enforcing it more in August as the rule had only recently come in then.

I too am talking about wearing a mask both outside and inside a restaurant, and the people I quoted donít all run businesses.

Nophead you clearly have extremely rigid views on every aspect of the virus which you may be right about. However, where the law is concerned whether you are right in your beliefs fails into insignificance when faced with a possible fine. I personally donít find wearing a mask, despite asthma, that bad. Yes your glasses can get steamy, yes they are hot, yes, your make up gets rubs off, yes your ear can hurt. On the other hand I donít want to infect anyone, I donít want a fine and I respect the laws of the Country in which I am a visitor.

Walking up Cardiac Hill sounds like a breeze to you Nophead. How fortunate you are to enjoy excellent health and stamina which means where you live isnít a problem for you or your wife. Long may that be the case.
I have walked as you outline up to San Francisco from Puerto Santiago plaza, but never in August as I find the heat difficult. I never walk up to santiago Del Teide from sea level, I prefer to walk down as climbing hills challenges my breathing.

So you see, we are all different, with different capabilities, different health needs, different views.

Shall we leave it at that? You do your own thing re masks and Iíll do mine. There are no Ďwinnersí  in this covid world, every single one of us is facing new situations and ways of living.

Offline nophead

« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2020 »
Yes walking up Cardiac Hill is not a big deal for us but it is hard work and it requires a significant amount of oxygen due to the laws of physics which can't be broken. So our breathing rate increases and eventually as we continue upwards the mask gets wet and impossible to breathe through. So unless we used about 3 masks per trip home we can't comply with the laws of the land because the laws of physics don't permit it.

Seems like the locals have come to the same conclusion.

And we don't infect anyone or get infected because, like in the UK, we avoid walking close to people, we cross to the other side of the road to avoid them, which is a much better system.

Maybe a fabric mask will work as they are not filters like the surgical masks and they are legal in Spain except in hospitals and doctors surgeries. Probably just a placebo as I don't think they stop infection, hence why you need proper ones in medical settings.

If we were fit enough to jog or cycle up the hill we would not need to wear a mask. How does that make sense as we would be panting and spreading far more water vapour?

Offline unhappy

« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2020 »
Did not that Empire implode on it's self, look at it today.

As for El Pescador, it is family owned & run restaurant, Domingo front of house, his wife is the cook & son & daughter wait, he will survive, we have known him for many years, yes it is sad few people are not there, but again if we don't adhere to the law there will be even less.

The only reason this virus is spreading again is because people are not doing what they are told to do by Governments all across the world.

There was an expert on TV this morning saying they had done tests & the antibodies people get when they recover from the virus do not always prevent them catching it a second time, so wearing a mask is imperative.

It does not matter what other people are doing, to be a responsible person we must do what we are advised to do, no matter how uncomfortable it is 

Offline nophead

« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2020 »
The cook said she was Slovenian and the waitress said she was Polish, so perhaps the son and daughter have moved on.

The UK government told us to eat out to help out and decided education and hospitality was more important than preventing covid. The numbers shot up when schools and universities went back. So I don't think it was due to people ignoring rules. The rules evolve for political reasons and are different in every country, so being told what to do by governments across the world makes little sense unless you live in Sweden.

Every other pandemic virus has wiped out the vulnerable and left a population that can live with it. This is the first one where governments have thought they could control it but they can't. It appears it will be like other corona viruses and we will get it annually. I expect the common cold was deadly when it first arrived and I think it probably still finishes off some of the most vulnerable each year that go on to get pneumonia. Most people die from cancer, heart disease or dementia. If you are lucky enough to avoid all those illnesses you get get frailer and frailer until some respiratory illness finishes you off, usually in the winter. I don't think covid19 is anything special apart from it is new while we are in the internet age.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020 by nophead »

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2020 »
Exactly right what we do here just keep a distance, not every country makes you wear masks outside as the jury is out on it, even the WHO doesn't say it's necessary if a safe distance can be maintained. Scandinavian countries don't do it either so not sure they will want to over winter there as they normally do with this silly rule.

Offline nophead

« Reply #202 on: October 27, 2020 »
So we bought some fancy fabric ones in the Chinese emporium in the old Mercadona building in Arena next to Legends and managed to walk home in them as they are easier to breathe through. So we can comply with the letter of the law but infection control is obviously a lot less than surgical masks.

Legends was open but had no customers in the afternoon. The waiter had lowered his mask onto his chin when we passed on the way back. We also passed workmen in the road with no masks and a British tourist who put one on when he saw us. Probably wasn't expecting to meet anybody as the roads are very deserted.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #203 on: October 27, 2020 »
Here we go again another expert, pity he did not read the WHO advice from the 20th Oct about wearing a mask.

As for buying masks from the Chinese must be cheap, they are obviously useless

Offline nophead

« Reply #204 on: October 27, 2020 »
More expensive than surgical ones but I wouldn't call them useless. They enable me to comply with law, avoid the risk of a fine and still be able to breathe when walking in steep hills, so money well spent.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #205 on: October 27, 2020 »
Sorry but this post is killing me with boredom

Please let us know what is is going on locally please

How is the lovely harbour club getting on

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #206 on: October 27, 2020 »
Good for you, I read an article recently that cloth masks allow 97% of infection into a mask and the surgical ones about 47% so better but for lip service you might aswell be more comfortable, people who rely on cloth and especially homemade masks are deluded unfortunately.

Offline nophead

« Reply #207 on: October 27, 2020 »
Yes cloth masks don't do much. I wonder why the governments allow them.

The harbour club bar was open last time we passed it with a couple of tables of customers. That's about all anywhere gets at the moment.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #208 on: October 27, 2020 »
Looks like the Covid test will not be a requirement when we arrive later next week, am pleased to say!
We are out just after the USA election, so will be able to commiserate or celebrate either way in the sun.
And the following week, we should find out if we have a deal with Europe, and if so, how much we have been sold down the river.
Just booked a better more fun car (convertible) than usual, thought that this would be a good time to tour the Island.  Will spend one or two nights in the North, just checked one hotel and all inclusive is available at a very very reasonable price, plenty of availability so won't book till we arrive in case things don't work out.
My wife is very sceptical that every thing will run smooth, and she is worried about idiots on the flight!
Since we had that situation on a Cornwall beach back in August.
I on the other hand am quite upbeat (take note Unhappy), that things will go well!

Offline unhappy

« Reply #209 on: October 28, 2020 »
Pilgrim, I am very upbeat I should be in Tenerife at this very moment but Tui cancelled our holiday. We have booked to come over for 3 months later.

We have or lovely Granddaughter staying with us at the moment during half term as her Mom is working, I also took her out on Monday & bought a new car for her. We are out with our friends tomorrow for a meal & drinks

You see we can do these things because where we live, we are still in category 1, must be all us old farts that live around this area who try not to spread the virus & listen to the Government advice.

Paulaf is this the same article you read that the WHO don't recommend wearing masks