Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Restrictions  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
Restrictions
« on: September 07, 2020 »
Advertisement
Hoping to arrive 28th September and have a couple of questions.

1.  Are the taxis from the airport restricting the number of passengers?  I heard they would only take one.
2.  Are two people from same family allowed to go to the supermarket together?

Thanks.

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
Re: Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020 »
Taxis take two people. If you share a car with people with whom you donít live you all need to wear a mask.

You are not restricted as to how many of you go to a supermarket but you need a mask. Some supermarkets, like hiperdino, take temperature as you enter, Mercadona have plastic disposable gloves.

Everyone encouraged to distance.

Masks must be worn anywhere outside your home, including entering, leaving or walking round a restaurant. Once seated for eating and drinking you can remove the mask.

All shops require you to keep your mask on

Walking in the street requires a mask.

Smoking banned whilst sitting in a bar and special smoking areas are set up where you need to go to smoke.

All this makes you feel very secure, very aware to distance and respect each other, and generally after a couple of days, you donít even notice what initially can seem like a nuisance.

We came back after seven months out their a fortnight ago and just finishing quarantine , but felt very safe in Tenerife, plenty of places to enjoy eating out, shopping very easy. Certainly the Quieter atmosphere we thoroughly enjoyed, though felt for the businesses desparately trying to keep going. You will enjoy it.

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020 »
We all expected the transport secretary Grant Shapps to remove the Canaries and Balearics from the prohibited fly list, thus creating an air bridge, within Spain.  But a NO SHOW
I am starting to thing "brexit politcs may be paying a part in the governments thinking".
We really want to get out to LG, but with things still in a state of flux, we won't risk it.
Talk of a winter 2nd wave, we could be caught in a Tenerife lockdown!
From what I see, we have the world bank, the EU, NATO, G7,Comonwealth etc..  But countries have not sat down together and discussed a common policy of how to respond/ function with regard to the virus.

Offline nophead

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020 »
Why would the UK create an air bridge to Spain or the Canaries or Tenerife when the numbers are far worse than the UK?

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020 »
Unless I am wrong which is highly likely! The Islands of Spain are within "colvid limits" the spike being in the Spanish mainland. You will tell me Nophead that I am wrong, maybe just what I read and hoping!
Am sure you will have more information than I have. We need people like you,cos I'm a happy dreamer!

Offline nophead

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020 »
The UK threshold for air corridors is 20 / 100,000 per week.

Canaries are about 111, Tenerife about 34 by my calculations.

I could show an alarming graph but people on this forum hate to see them.

Offline janey

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020 »
Taxis take two people. If you share a car with people with whom you donít live you all need to wear a mask.

You are not restricted as to how many of you go to a supermarket but you need a mask. Some supermarkets, like hiperdino, take temperature as you enter, Mercadona have plastic disposable gloves.

Everyone encouraged to distance.

Masks must be worn anywhere outside your home, including entering, leaving or walking round a restaurant. Once seated for eating and drinking you can remove the mask.

All shops require you to keep your mask on

Walking in the street requires a mask.

Smoking banned whilst sitting in a bar and special smoking areas are set up where you need to go to smoke.

All this makes you feel very secure, very aware to distance and respect each other, and generally after a couple of days, you donít even notice what initially can seem like a nuisance.

We came back after seven months out their a fortnight ago and just finishing quarantine , but felt very safe in Tenerife, plenty of places to enjoy eating out, shopping very easy. Certainly the Quieter atmosphere we thoroughly enjoyed, though felt for the businesses desparately trying to keep going. You will enjoy it.
   gosh, this will really encourage people to come over on holiday.  i would suggest slightly extreme.  think walking around outside with a mask on is pointless. inside areas with lots of other people is probably much more sensible. 

Offline nophead

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020 »
And the UK is now above its own threshold, LOL. If we fly internally we should quarantine or it makes no sense, or perhaps none of this makes sense.

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020 »
Many thanks, Angiebabes, for your very helpful reply. You have answered all my questions,  :-*plus some I hadn't thought of. Looking forward to the sunshine. Regarding the mask requirements, etc, I am completely in favour and wish  the UK would adopt them instead of all the confusing instructions that are never enforced anyway.

Offline Fredk

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020 »
Due out on the 22nd Sept, will not be worrying over cases per 100000 in Tenerife as the cases in my area at home in the UK are now at 89 per 100000!

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020 »
Government putting Portugal on quarantine list, but not Madera or the Azores. So why don't they do the same for the Canaries?

Offline nophead

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020 »
Because the cases in the Canaries are way above the 20 / 100,000 per week. They do seem to be past the peak now and on the way down and we are on the way up to meet them.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020 »
Read today that there is a 92 percent increase in the over 50 group with covid

Are you all sure you wish to travel

Offline janey

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020 »
Read today that there is a 92 percent increase in the over 50 group with covid

Are you all sure you wish to travel

quite sure i wish to travel.  dont believe what the papers tell you.  you are just click bait.    and there is a huge decline of people dying of covid.  more people have had it than you know and dont realise including people over 50.  its time the world got back on its feet.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020 »
 Well said Janey.

Offline nophead

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020 »
Yep if you stay at home for a year there is about the same chance you will die of something random as if you go out and are actually unlucky enough to catch it.

There is actually no logic to most of the worlds government's responses. Why on earth do they portray it as a great danger when it ranks very low on the scale of things that might kill us? So far during this "pandemic" three people I know have died from cancer but I none of my friends and relatives have even caught covid that they know of.

Offline Samijoe

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020 »
Sure we want to travel. What else is there to do as we listen to scaremongering and meaningless stats that tell us nothing. Changed our flights from Jet2 and will be in LG next weekend. Will adhere to all the guidance and enjoy the usual bars, restaurants and shops that we normally use. Letís start being rational about the risks we face in trying to get our lives back.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020 »
So nophead you know more than all the Governments & Scientists in the world who are spending an untold amount money trying to stop this pandemic, and that is the problem with all the money being spent they still can not control this pandemic.

If they don't take this action it would be totally out of control & millions will die, stop comparing it to flu we have a vaccine not perfect but it helps, also I have never heard of someone catching cancer from somebody else.

Get real it is a PANDEMIC, not a flu outbreak.

We all want life back to normal, we are hoping to come over for our 3 months in the winter, but if people do not heed the warnings nobody knows what will happen, only that the death rate will increase

Offline nophead

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020 »
Millions in the world but since the mortality rate in the UK is now estimated to be only 0.7% and herd immunity needs about 70% of the population to get it absolute worst case would be about 0.49% of the UK population, which is about 330,000 people, only about half the normal number of people that die in a year, so a 50% increase. In practice it would be a lot less if the vulnerable kept out of the way. They are the ones that normal life should stop for, not the majority that are young and healthy.

If only differs from a flu outbreak because it is new and nobody has any immunity and there is no vaccine.  Compared to Spanish flu, that was much worse. For most healthy people it has no symptoms at all and most of the rest have cold like symptoms, nowhere near as bad as flu. A small percentage have a completely over the top immune reaction that can kill them, not the virus itself.

Yes most cancers are not contagious but my point is far more people die of cancer and other things, so how is this such a terrible disease that it needs an over the top response? Cancel kills about 1/3 of the population, this would only kill 0.5%. Traffic pollutions kills more and that is also not contagious but more likely to kill you or I and very hard to avoid.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020 by nophead »

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020 »
In May when the lock down started, we felt that it was a huge over reaction, then we were in our fifties.
Since then my wife and I have moved into our 60's. And whether it is psychological or not I do not know,
but we are taking this new spike far more seriously. I imagine that were we moving into our seventies we would be extremely cautious!

Offline unhappy

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020 »
You can bandy your figures all day & night, the point is it is still spreading, you go on about herd immunity & its ok its only us old buggers that will die, thanks for that.

And while you are going on about heards many Governments are saying it is the young & their disregard for taking the actions Governments want them to take, to STOP the spread.

Myself & my wife are the vulnerable we are over 70 we take every precaution hopefully to avoid contamination, how are we supposed to keep out of the way, do what you say people should not do, make up your mind, you live in a fantasy land

Offline nophead

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020 »
It is only a tiny percentage of the old buggers, there are millions of them in the UK. Most will die from cancer, heart disease or dementia. Unless you are in a care home or a hospital it is pretty easy to avoid getting it when you don't need to go out to work. It doesn't require the rest of the world to stop.

My view is the quicker everybody who is going to get it, gets it, the quicker when can get back to normal life.

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2020 »
Cor Blimey, Georgie's computer must have packed up. He has not been on today.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020 »
Sorry Edward

All I think I know is that from my perspective and the govt

We have another 18 months of this

Offline unhappy

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020 »
So nophead what you are saying is when all the old people die of what ever illness they may suffer from, this Pandemic will cease, but it is not the old people that are spreading it.

And if you think that you are more crazy than those in the lunny bins.

Offline nophead

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2020 »
No what I am saying is worst case most people will not die from covid because it only kills 0.7% of the people that catch it. So if everybody got it, which is almost impossible because herd immunity prevents the spread, most people will still die from something else. Compared to most other things that kill us it is hardly significant.

At any age, catching it is no more dangerous than living for a year. We all think we have good chance of living another year but actually about 1% of us will not. Yes it kills more old people but they also are the ones most likely not to last another year.

This is why I don't count it as dangerous. If you think it is dangerous to catch it you must think life is so dangerous or be so unhealthy you will be lucky to last a year.

50% of the people it has killed were in care homes and 50% were disabled. The number of healthy people it has killed is tiny in any age group. The only reason it has killed more old people is because less of them are healthy. People over 100 have survived.

Covid won't stop spreading until more than 70% have immunity, ether by getting it, or being vaccinated, or by hiding themselves away.

Offline will

• regular contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2020 »
I wonder if nophead would have the balls to express these opinions face to face in a room full of the grieving relatives of these (old buggers) who have died through no fault of their own.
Many have lost loved ones all over the world, and quite a number in the Canaries.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2020 »
So nophead, in your words "you don't count it as dangerous", so why were you bleating on about not being able to go to your property or it not being worth anything, or you have not been out for months since you returned from Tenerife, why you have nothing to worry about.

You have quoted that anybody has only a 0.7% of catching it and as you are so young unlike us ready to die old buggers it is likely less than that you will catch it, again it sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Get off your computer and realise behind your figures these are real people that are dying, not just some statistic.

Offline nophead

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2020 »
The chance if catching it is mainly down to what you do unless you need to go to hospital or live in a care home. I don't think it depends on age other than if you are retired it is much easy to avoid it.

I never said there is a 0.7% chance of catching it. What I said is that on average of all the people that do catch it, only 0.7% die, a figure that was recently published on the BBC website. The vast majority have no symptoms at all. Of those that do have symptoms most have mild ones. A few have an overreaction of the body's immune system called a cytokine storm. Then they get very ill and need hospital treatment and a lot of those die. People also die from flu for the same reason.

The reason my apartment is now useless is Los Gigantes is like a ghost town, a lot of businesses are closed permanently and I can't see how the rest will last long with no customers. I saw a video shot on Thursday night and of the few businesses open most had no customers or just one couple. Only Charlie's bistro was busy and apparently they only open a couple of nights. If I go there I have to wear a mask all day.

I never said I hadn't been out for months. I go out walking most days, without a mask. We also ate out to help out six or seven times without wearing a mask in bars and restaurants in August. Have only needed to wear a mask four times so far for shopping.

Yes of course they are real people dying but everybody dies, which means huge numbers die every day. Why is a it great tragedy when a small number in comparison die a bit earlier? Why do people fixate on Covid and ignore all the other things that are far more likely to kill us?  Why does normal life have to stop and all leisure and cultural businesses be ruined? Why are the similar numbers of lives shortened by air pollution ignored?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020 by nophead »

Offline unhappy

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2020 »
This bloke ain't for turning, lets hope he does not catch it, because if he does he will bore the Doctors and Nurses to death