Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Shengen  (Read 992 times)

Offline nophead

Re: Shengen
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2020 »
Advertisement
I honestly don't know. Speaking to an expat in a bar when we were last there I said I thought they wouldn't come looking for me if I exceeded 90 days to deport me. He suggested they might simply record the violation on the way out and not let me in again. That would be too big a risk to take since I own a property there.

Also if you are there more than 90 days you are supposed to register with the police. And we know how officious the Spanish police can be.

Do they let Russians, etc, stay more than 90 days at the moment? It is not like it is a new rule for the Spanish, just new for us to be the wrong side of it.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2020 »
It is very dangerous listening to an expat or an expert in a bar, I assume the police were told about people staying over 90 days at no time were we or our friends stopped & asked how long we have been in Tenerife.

My own opinion & I could be wrong but Spain will do whatever it takes to get any kind of tourist back into their country.

As I said before we have sold both our properties over there & now rent long term, what I have noticed is rental prices are coming down, hotels offering 30% discount.

Supply & demand or lack of it could be the reason

Offline nophead

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2020 »
Yes I expect our apartment will become worthless due to covid and impossible to sell. And it will probably get broken in and looted when society breaks down with civil war between generations.

Since the EU 90 day rule applies to anywhere in the EU they must have a way of totalling your stay in different countries. I expect that used to be done by putting stamps in the passport but now it will be done electronically. So the data is probably shared across the EU, so it would become obvious to Germany if Spain was breaking the rules. I can also see other countries outside the EU complaining if brits were treated better than them. And I am sure it is not a free for all for the Russians and Chinese.

So unless Spain and UK negotiate a special deal, which they might, or the EU falls apart, I think we will be stuck with it.