Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Covid-Specific Insurance  (Read 730 times)

Offline blarer

Covid-Specific Insurance
« on: July 08, 2020 »
Advertisement
According to todays Canadian Weekly Ashotel along with several partners are setting up Covid-Specific Insurance for the Canary Islands to encourage tourism. Initially a 6 month cover, but hoping to extend to 12 months.

Offline Georgie

Re: Covid-Specific Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020 »
Interesting the post office insurance policy does not cover this

How much is this policy and any chance sending me a link please

Offline blarer

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020 »
Post Office isn't interested in getting tourists into Tenerife. Have a look at the Ashotel or Canarian Weekly web sites.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020 »
Really sorry but what do you mean about post office insurance  I am confused

Offline blarer

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020 »
It was you that mentioned Post Office didn't cover the Covid virus, and why should they, they're not interested in getting people to Tenerife . The Ashotel and it's partners scheme is tailored to getting cover for tourists to Tenerife. After a bit more searching it seems ARAG is a German company.

Offline losgiganteskid

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020 »
The Post Office travel insurance was administered by the TIF group - if you want some bedtime reading look at the reviews for this Company - bl**dy shambles.

There are horror stories about policyholders who have had the misfortune of requiring their assistance whilst abroad - I took out an annual policy with the PO last year and had to claim for a cancellation and it took months and months for them to deal with what should have been a very straightforward case.  In the end I had to threaten court proceedings before they actually stood up and took notice - I shudder to think what would have happened should me or Mrs Kid suffered any accident or illness whilst abroad

It is important to look behind the headline Company (in this case the PO) who advertise for business, most if not all household names who tout for business are not the insurers i.e. John Lewis etc the actual insurer may be authorised to transact business in the UK although they operate from another Country and you really need to check out (if you can) which company will actually handle the claim on behalf of the insurer.

In my case TIF Group did finally pay my claim in full I nevertheless issued a formal complaint not to them but to the Post Office and was given a few hundred £££'s in compo.

When my annual insurance fell due for renewal I noticed that the Post Office had kicked TIF Group into touch and now use an alternative administrator.
I wanted to be the Cincinnati Kid - but couldn't spell it

Offline Georgie

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020 »
Interesting post

I have the same problem with the post office in December when I had to cancel a holiday to lanzarote

Thanks for the information because I am just completing a letter to the fscs about non payment

Offline blarer

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020 »
More from Canarian Weekly, apparently TUI are offering Covid-19 insurance with their holiday deals. Georgie before you ask log onto the TUI site for further information.

Offline blarer

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020 »
Interesting piece on page 120 of todays Mail on Sunday about Post Office Travel Insurance, apparently although the Post Office market these policies they are underwritten by two German firms.

Offline losgiganteskid

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020 »
Interesting piece on page 120 of todays Mail on Sunday about Post Office Travel Insurance, apparently although the Post Office market these policies they are underwritten by two German firms.

I rest my case !!
I wanted to be the Cincinnati Kid - but couldn't spell it

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020 »
We learned through it happening to us, that most, if not all travel insurance, will only cover someone to be treated in a private hospital IF IT IS MEDICALLY ADVISED IT IS UNSAFE TO MOVE THE PATIENT.  In our case having paid out nearly £500 Travel insurance for two of us for six months, when my husband fell and broke his hip he was initially ambulanced  to Hospiten Sur (Green Clinic).  After xray diagnosis, stabilising the patient (2 paracetamol) our private travel insurance paid for a private ambulance to take him up to Candelaria hospital (state) arriving 11.30pm. This after my arguing with the Rottweiler of a translator at Hospiten Sur and also on many expensive calls to emergency hotline of our insurance. Turns out they were right, there was a clause on page 34 of the small print that insurance would only cover us for treatment in private hospital if it was deemed unsafe for the patient to be moved. On return to UK and taking out insurance for our next holiday I spoke with all the well known reputable companies who each confirmed this as fact. So, donít assume when you have a travel insurance policy that you will be covered for treatment in a private hospital. READ THE SMALL PRINT and specifically ask if they will treat you privately or stabilise and move you to state hospital then you wonít get a nasty shock and a long drive to visit loved ones from west coast. Incidentally we had first class treatment in Candelaria under our EHIC card.