Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Restaurant openings  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Georgie

Restaurant openings
« on: July 01, 2020 »
Advertisement
Does anyone know if the bars and restaurants are now open and how are the restrictions going

Is the harbour club open please

Offline nophead

Re: Restaurant openings
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020 »
Yes the wine bar that serves food is open at the harbour club according to the Old Guy Rules on YouTube.

Offline nophead

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020 »
If you are going in October it is probably a too soon to be asking because everything could change between now and then. For the better, or the worse. If you look at how the world has changed in three months anything could happen in the next three.

We have flight booked for November but I have no idea if I will be going or not. I can't see the point if it is still masks and social distancing but my wife still wants to go.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020 »
Good point

I was asking just in case anyone was there

I will wait and thank you

Offline Dolly Diver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020 »
There are many bars and restaurants open now and you do not have to wear a mask while seated.  Tables are more spaced out now.  Masks are obligatory in places where you cannot social distance, eg. shops, public transport, but in a small village like Los Gigantes it is very easy to keep your distance whilst out walking or on the beach.  People keep their mask in their bag or pocket to use when needed.

As tourists are now starting to arrive each week more bars and restauants are opening up again.  There are many to choose from.

Offline Samijoe

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020 »
Thatís really good to hear. Our September trip is seeming more likely to happen. Cannot wait to visit as many bars and restaurants as possible. Would love an earlier trip if reasonably priced flights are available after 15th July re- start date. Good luck to all business owners in LG.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020 »
Excellent news and thank you for the update

Cant wait

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020 »
Havenít walked into Los Gigantes for a long time and what a wonderful job the council have done. The new pavements, bench areas and traffic system have improved the area considerably. Itís looking 100% better now. It was disappointing that with the pavements quite narrow only two people wore masks and most just stroll past you unable to maintain social distancing. Admittedly few people about and I guess like us, they feel safe, but can we try and keep it that way?

Offline Georgie

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020 »
I hopefully can't wait for October but still worried about the flight

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020 »
Wondered if any of the brits working in and around LG have moved back to the UK, it must be very difficult to make a living since the lockdown and the very slow restart. Even here we were in a large Hotel last friday lunchtime, and were the only people there. The Chef, waiter and manager all came out to chat with us. People need to get out and start spending. Are any Spanish returning for their summer holidays this year.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020 »
I see from TripAdvisor that people are starting to post restaurant reviews in august

Chicken shack seems very popular but never been

The owner seems very good on the entertainment front

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020 »
Dreadful shock that the Oasis is closing down. What a frightening sign of business in LG. So sad, such a lovely place and yet they canít make it pay due to COVID.

Offline blarer

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020 »
I was also shocked to hear that, part of the fabric of Los Gigantes.

Offline linda

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020 »
Wine bar only opening daytime Paddy's closing again . Simple Simon's not reopening.

Offline nophead

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020 »
So sad. I don't think there will be any tourist venues left when we manage to get there. How can a business survive without customers for what is looking like at least a year?

All for something that is more like a cold than flu for the majority of the population and only fatal for 0.7% by the latest UK estimate. If the governments had done nothing 70% would get it and 0.7% of those would die, which would be 0.5% of the population when 1% die in a normal year. How does it make sense to ruin all the businesses, normal health care and kids education, etc?

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020 »
Thinking of coming over in a few weeks, are all the restaurants open now or maybe planning too with travel corridor? I'm especially interested in these if anyone there now can advise:

Charlies Bistro
CK Bistro
El Pesacdor
Jardin del Sol
Ibericos
Mamma Lucia
Tipsy Terrace

Are there any other favourites you would recommend please? Thanks

Offline nophead

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020 »
Last time we passed them they were all open apart from Ibericos and Tipsy Terrace. Ibericos was for sale I think.

We like La Bodegita for Chateaubriand and a litre of wine for EUR 30.

In Puerto de Santiago we like Cappuccino Maria.

In Arena we like Tapas e mas tapas, Flor del Dragos, Palillos de Oro and Bombay Babu. They are all open. We also like Blue Martini but they say closed for vacation.

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020 »
Thanks nophead, shame about Ibericos we like it there and Tipsy Terrace sometime for the atmosphere, can't believe that's shut but I think its popular with regulars who maybe arne;t there yet, hope it might open soon then.
I'll check out your other recommendations too but we may just stick to LG as in walking distance. Have you ever been to Aqua part of the Royal Sun, thinking for a birthday that's all, the reviews are good on TA.

Offline nophead

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020 »
Yes we went to Agua in Dec 17. We were not too impressed with the food and the waiter was a clown. This is what I wrote my diary:

Papaya salad - horrible, duck breast - good, tempura chocolate desert - good.
Scollops - OK, lamb - not the best.

From memory we waited ages for home made crisps that were not as good as you get in a packet and the lamb seemed more like pork.

The waiter broke the cork in the wine and tried to fish it out in front of us until we asked for another bottle. For desert he gave me an English menu and my wife a Spanish menu. I couldn't understand why she was reading it out slowly to me in broken English.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020 »
They were doing a BBQ night one day a week. Cannot remember which night of the week it was though!
Like a buffet, where they keep BBQ'ing all evening and you just help yourself as you wish. They had fresh salad area also. I think 18 Euros each. But interestingly, they only put two people on the bill although there was 3 of us. So they got a bigger tip than usual.
There is a lot of fidling in the hotel, have noticed that at the pool bar, they don't open the till, and give you change they have in tray!

Offline nophead

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2020 »
Isn't the BBQ in the main restaurant the floor below?

I heard a rumour Agua has changed hands, so it might have improved since we went.

Charlies Bistro seems to be the only busy restaurant in LG. We have never been because it used to have a two week waiting list.

Went to La Bodeguita this evening and there was only one other customer all evening.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020 »
Yes in main restaurant, below pool floor is Agua.
Charlies Bistro is fine, menu pretty static, but very okay place to eat, little bit clicky.
La Bodeguita fine, surprised only one other table, hope Pasquale is still serving, really nice guy and is a great waiter, fast and respectful. Maybe could even improve Charlies if they could nab him!

Offline nophead

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020 »
Only Li serving now at La Bodeguita. She had to furloug Pasquale and Yolander until business picks up.

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2020 »
Isn't the BBQ in the main restaurant the floor below?

I heard a rumour Agua has changed hands, so it might have improved since we went.

Charlies Bistro seems to be the only busy restaurant in LG. We have never been because it used to have a two week waiting list.

Went to La Bodeguita this evening and there was only one other customer all evening.

Can highly recommend Charlies Bistro, go now whilst its quieter, the food is excellent and we find Jason lovely and very funny. Yes strange re your experience at Aqua as the TA reviews are really good.

Offline linda

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2020 »
Update on restaurants .Tipsy terrace will not open till next year. Buen gusto by tipsy terrace open daily till 11 pm very good value and choice. Wine bar  do breakfasts and lunches. In evening a la carts menu  by new chef klaus.ibericos closed and bamboo pattisere . The open Domingo's open Hardin del sol open also Bougainvilla in as and Asturias. Cos bistro open except wednesday and Thursday.60s bar open Fri to monday.green corner open bodeguitas open.Tea house open.With Sunday home delivery. Enough for now .

Offline Georgie

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020 »
I see there is a new restaurant on calle flor de Pascal

Where is this located and has anyone been there

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020 »
I see there is a new restaurant on calle flor de Pascal

Where is this located and has anyone been there

Some of the answer you have already Printed - Calle Flor de Pascal

How can you post such stuff?

Offline nophead

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020 »
Well even Google can't find a road with that name. I presume you mean Calle Flor de Pascua.

I haven't seen anywhere new there or anywhere else. Not the time to be opening a new restaurant!

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020 »
Was in Pescador last night, me and only a couple of Scottish ladies. It was Wednesday, but how can he keep opening after 30 years! I sent the fillet back, I ordered medium and it came out Blue. I forgot that the scale here is medium=Blue  well done=medium cremated=well done.
I have had breakfast in certain establishments this week, and the best is the Green Corner. The harbour club
do okay, but they have constant music and quite loud, some is bearable but when you get this rap music, or rap with a c as I call it! Couldn't get out fast enough! People don't want that blaring music at 10.30 in the morning.
And no, I wasn't hung over!

Offline unhappy

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020 »
Thanks for the info, only problem, Georgie is going to ask where are they,  sorry he might know where they are, they are all in LG, the place he has been coming to for the last 15 years.

He might realise that there are other areas close by like PS, where Chicken Shack are, or really get his hiking boots on & try PA or further, but I doubt it, he will just ask another inane question.