Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: UK new tenerife  (Read 2202 times)

Offline nophead

Re: UK new tenerife
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2020 »
Advertisement
Can you point me to a single post of yours where you didn't insult somebody?

Offline Sangriaman

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2020 »
 Good point ,
 But to be fair Iím not the first person to call you out on your BS am I , and I donít think Iíll be the last
 Cutting and pasting death statistics on this site ,that you trawl through on yahoo,, Well
 Itís not big and itís not clever.

Offline nophead

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2020 »
Never used yahoo in my life. I read the BBC news and the UK governments stats and the Canarian Sanidad website, so none of my facts are BS unless you don't believe the official figures.

I thought I was having a civilised discussion with Georgie about where he saw that numbers are rising.

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2020 »
I think this is a far more difficult time than some of the main stream press and commenters would have you believe. Met someone last week who hasn't seen their mother who is in a nursing home since March. Just wave through the glass from outside. This PANDEMIC affects some people more than others.
So maybe we should all respect each others views, as the affects hit us all differently.

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2020 »
Pilgrim thatís such a thoughtful thing to say and I agree we should all consider individual effects on people in so many different ways.

We opted to stay in TENERIFE and are still here, now debating whether to return to UK in July, or be safer here for a while. Difficult decision when faced with sights in Bournemouth last few days.

Nophead - just try, please, just try!

Offline Mary

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2020 »
Thanks Pilgrim we all need a bit more thoughtfulness during this difficult time,. Iíve been acutely aware that although a very fit mid seventy that if I caught the virus my daughter would move in to look after me if I was Poorly.
So I decided to stay at home, have everything delivered and cut my risks,not because I was afraid but would have been devastated if I passed it to family. I have really struggled with the negativity in the press and the comments On here dismissing older people as nothing more than a disposable statistic.
We all need to be kinder to each other, this virus has impacted on many lives and if you are lucky enough to still have your partner to share it with, spare a thought for people who donít have that luxury.

Offline nophead

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2020 »
If you don't need to go out to work, the chance of catching it depends on what you do, not what others do.

We have lived in the UK through the peak, where the prevalence in the population was more than 10 times what it is now, and the only time I think I could have had any chance of catching it was when an engineer came into our house to try to fix the broadband. I could have insisted on distancing but he was showing me readings on his equipment and I was interested.

Having depleted our food stash after about 2 months, we now do Tesco click and collect once a fortnight. You drive up and they open the boot and put it in in free plastic bags. Everything else I buy online and get delivered. We wash our hands after opening packages. So really no chance of catching it regardless of what the young do. We keep 2m away from them when outside.

None of our friends and relatives have caught it, most are retired, work from home or been made redundant by it. The exceptions are three teachers I know and a nephew and his partner that are NHS doctors. They get tested twice a week and haven't caught it but they are young and very fit (rock climbers).

Flying home is probably the biggest risk now that tourists are starting to come back and will start to fill the return flights.

Offline Mary

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2020 »
Give me strength 🤬🤬

Offline nophead

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2020 »
Well you can express outrage and fear about people enjoying themselves on the south coast and people seem to like that here but as soon as I make a rational statement about how it might not affect people they get upset.

It doesn't matter how much outrage and condemnation you, the papers and the government express it doesn't change anything, the cat is out of the bag. On the other hand how you personally mange the risk makes all the difference. You pick your own balance between risk and quality of life.

Although Nicola Sturgeon thinks they are close to eliminating it in Scotland I think she is deluded. It will never go away completely and so can always flare up. Vaccines and treatments are the only hope but they are too far away for countries to remain in lockdown, not only because of the economy but also the young will not put up with it.

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2020 »
nophead, I have no doubt that you mean well with your learned comments however just be aware that nobody likes a smart a.r.s.e.

Offline janey

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2020 »
i agree with nophead

people will not lockdown to such an extent again.

i agree the police should be given more control.

what were the council doing to protect bournemouth beach from mass crowding?  they had 3 months to put plans and controls numbers in place.

i agree that the young and healthy should have been left working.

i agree that the only people who should have locked down are the people at risk.

and, whoever told you that your daughter would have to give birth alone has given you incorrect information. a birthing partner is of course allowed in during labour.  not prior to labour, not for more than an hour after giving birth. but one partner can attend your daughter during her labour.

last rant - dont believe everything you hear and read via the media - they have cooked up a storm.

Offline nophead

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2020 »
The police have the legal power to break up gatherings but they don't have the man power when there are more than a few thousand and they don't seem to want to get into a mass brawl with the public like they did with the miners.

They don't have the power to enforce social 2m distancing though, or enter your house or garden to check you are.

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2020 »
Well you can express outrage and fear about people enjoying themselves on the south coast and people seem to like that here but as soon as I make a rational statement about how it might not affect people they

Do you live in or near Bournemouth? Would you like your vegetable patch covered in urine and defacation? Would you welcome 7 miles of other peopleís waste on your doorstep? Would you mind having your car blocked in by strangers parking in your drive/grass/flower borders?

ARE YOU NUTS??

You claim to make RATIONAL statement about how it might not affect people. TRUST ME it has affected disastrously an awful lot of people and if you knew what you were talking about you couldnít fail to agree. Not just the virus risk, but filth, excrement and urine combined with discarded needles, happy gas canisters, filthy nappies etc.,etc.

Donít try to minimalise  suffering of other people when it hasnít affected you. Believe me, what you read or saw on tv bears no reality to what BOURNEMOUTH folk have suffered. Or Liverpool, Reading, Glasgow.

Try giving Boris a call, or better still Dominic, they sure could use your extensive expertise and maybe you could advise them that choosing a Saturday, rather than say a Tuesday, to open the pubs up, is inviting a repeat of what weíve suffered in the hot weather.
How you manage to find time to write so many, many posts whilst growing your own, brewing your own, studying your graphs, sorting your online shopping and no doubt correcting the inevitable mistakes your wife must make in your eyes is a miracle. Go recharge your computer battery and GIVE US A BREAK.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2020 »
The weather in essex is cold and raining and if I am right I have never seen rain in tenerife whilst we have been there

Lanzarote however is a different story

Offline Georgie

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2020 »
A different slant on the postings

Locally all age groups have caught it

I work in a office and we just follow government guidelines

I and fellow friends that work in london in a office don't expect to be back until January because we can social distance in the work space but not on the tube

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2020 »
I think a lot of people will not be returning to the office when the Furlough is over!
There has been a lot of fraud with the scheme too.
I have been told of a company who gave all staff a 50% pay rise day before Furlough started.

Offline nophead

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2020 »
No I would not like any of that, or condone it, people seem to have forgotten how to behave themselves. Seems to be an unintended side effect of lock down that some people's behaviour has got a lot worse. Not sure how the government can reverse that. Public information films about picking up litter like they used to show children!

We were told the government was advised by behavioural scientists, so they should have seen that coming.

They closed the tips, but people still have rubbish, so we now have a lot more fly tipping.
They closed the toilets, ...
They closed all the bars and clubs, so now we have illegal raves where people die.
They stopped people going on holidays, so they flock to the beaches at the first opportunity and they don't have the capacity for everybody turning up on the same day.

When they open anything again people flock to it, so I think you are right, July 4th will be a mess. I will certainly wait a while before going to the local.

I don't think it is unique to the UK. Some friends report similar problems in Belgium.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2020 »
Without causing flames to fire I don't think the government or scientists knew what coming

I don't blame anyone

Offline Sangriaman

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2020 »
 A savant is someone who is or appears to be exceptionally good at one or a few narrow skills, without having the general intelligence to put that skill to practical use or even understand what one is doing. ... A savant is never a genius, gifted, or prodigy.

A nophead is someone who is or appears to be exceptionally good at one or a few narrow skills, without having the general intelligence to put that skill to practical use or even understand what one is doing. ... A savant is never a genius, gifted, or prodigy.

This would answer an awful lot of questions about you,
  Your love of graphs and statistics
  Keeping things in jars ?
  Hoarding
  And above all ,your total lack of empathy.
  Itís all there in black and white , surprising no one has got on to it before
  you are a Rain man, Forest Gump hybrid.

Offline janey

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2020 »
A savant is someone who is or appears to be exceptionally good at one or a few narrow skills, without having the general intelligence to put that skill to practical use or even understand what one is doing. ... A savant is never a genius, gifted, or prodigy.

A nophead is someone who is or appears to be exceptionally good at one or a few narrow skills, without having the general intelligence to put that skill to practical use or even understand what one is doing. ... A savant is never a genius, gifted, or prodigy.

This would answer an awful lot of questions about you,
  Your love of graphs and statistics
  Keeping things in jars ?
  Hoarding
  And above all ,your total lack of empathy.
  Itís all there in black and white , surprising no one has got on to it before
  you are a Rain man, Forest Gump hybrid.

uncalled for sangriaman.   you are inciting anger in this way.

Offline nophead

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2020 »
No wide of the mark. Savants don't lead normal lives, on the other hand I had a successful career as a computer programmer, R&D manager and embedded systems consultant designed a 3D printer and sold it all over the world, made enough money to retire early and buy an apartment in Tenerife.

In electronics and other engineering fields it is completely normal to visualise data with graphs. And governments and news organisations publish their data in graphs to present it to the general public. I have no idea why this forum is averse to them. For normal people they make trends visible in tables of numbers.

Don't keep much in jars, just a few electroplating solutions I experimented with. Do have hundreds of plastic drawers with thousands of electronic components in them and nuts and bolts, etc, because I design, make and mend things.

In the hot weather, which was the subject of this thread, our back door seized up due to the PVC expanding. So I had to strip down the multi-point lock system and rebuild it with some new screws from my extensive collection and some simple 3D printed parts. Multi-point locks are a bit of a nightmare I realised because they are very complicated inside and if anything breaks it can be impossible to open the door and get to the fault. Fortunately I could open this eventually with brute force on the handle. It is only 17 years old. Seems like eventually they will all wear out with something like a 50% chance you would not be able to open the door.

We had plenty of food in the house as a strategic plan for Brexit as it was always going to happen when we were in Tenerife and there were predictions of food shortages. And also because we have surplus crops in autumn that we turn into frozen meals and eat them in spring. Now we have finished those and are starting to crop this years fruit and veg. We also make our own bread. So we only need to buy meat, fish and dairy plus cereals, rice, lentils and pasta, etc, plus booze.

I wouldn't call it hoarding. That is when crazy people completely fill their entire houses with crap until there is no space left. This all fits neatly in our kitchen cupboards, freezers and some shelves in the garage. We do have plats of garlic and onions hanging from the garage ceiling though.

And now that the test and trace system is up and running you could be asked out of the blue to stay at home for 14 days, so it makes sense to have 14 days of supplies at all times or rely on friends and neighbours and hope they are not quarantined. One of our neighbours has a cough and is isolating while waiting for a test, so we are doing some shopping for them.

Yes I might be lacking a bit on the empathy front and might be at the low end on the autistic spectrum, most good engineers and mathematicians are, but not rain man or Forest Gump league.

So again your only contribution is to insult people.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2020 »
Weather is still cold and windy in lovely essex xx

I miss los gigantes

Has anyone flew lately and do you have to wear a mask

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2020 »
I have been wondering that as well!
Said in news feed tonight Tenerife's leading hotels to fund their own airline to bring visitors out from UK.
Nophead, you are what my dear old Dad would call a "bighead"

Offline nophead

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2020 »
Yes I think it is masks for the foreseeable, putting your hand up to go to the toilet and only water to drink and no food.

The president of the Canaries wants everybody to have a test on entry but nobody wants to pay for it. Seems like the only way to not have tourists introduce it again but I don't think the tests are 100% accurate.

The hotel airline looks like a bid to cut the travel companies out of the loop but they only have one aeroplane so far. I think they will struggle to compete with TUI, Ryan air and Easy Jet if they don't go out of business. The hotels are hedging on them doings so.

Smart a.r.s.e, savant, big head any more kind words today? Funny this is the only forum I frequent where people insult each other out of literally dozens I have used over the years.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2020 »
Well!
That is how you come across?
If you were as successful as you give in your post, why do you only own an apartment and not something
larger like a Villa.
Also the way you skinflint over food!
Also the PVC door business, the locking mechanism is stainless steel, you cannot produce SS from a 3D printer, and never will be able too. Also with regards to the Door/s there is a pre installed wedge on the bottom frame that lifts the very heavy Double glazed door into locking position. This gets knocked out or slides hinge side in heat! Check that first, most people dont know it exists and they adjust the door on the hinges via the allen key slots.

Offline nophead

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2020 »
Well more successful than a savant was my point, less successful than Paul Ruane obviously.

And we don't have to skrimp on food, my wife just likes to get good value.

The parts I 3D printed were C shaped nylon spacers behind the handles, that is what the originals were made of but they had fallen to bits leaving the handles with about 3mm end play. Stupid design. The 3D printed ones will probably wear out as well but its easy to print them again.

Stainless steel can be 3D printed but not by me at the moment admittedly. https://all3dp.com/2/stainless-steel-3d-printer-how-to-3d-print-stainless-steel

The reason it jammed was one of the hook shaped latches was very hard to retract when the door was pressing on it. It was riveted together, so I drilled the tops off the riveted posts to get inside.

I found it has some wiggly guide tracks on each side of the casting that part of the hook ran in. One side had no lubrication, so I greased it and it now works. Had I known what it looked like and what the problem was I might have been able to inject some grease but the track wasn't visible from outside.

Drilled and tapped what was left of the posts and screwed it back together. Took three attempts to set the rack and pinion in it on the right tooth.

Now opens a lot easier than we can remember. It always had a tight spot half way through the travel, which corresponded to one of the kinks in the wiggly track. Not sure what the point of it is.

The door hadn't dropped, I think it just warped a bit and needed some force on the locking hooks to pull it closed. Even with the door open it was impossible to operate the dodgy one by hand without the gearbox and handles but the other one moved easily.

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2020 »
I think now that we are almost at the start of a new month we should put aside all this animosity and one upmanship and settle down to using this forum like Dolly intended. Tomorrow welcome July and hope for better things. Hoping all your holidays come to fruition and everyone keep safe.

Offline AWOL

• Old Hand
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2020 »
I think now that we are almost at the start of a new month we should put aside all this animosity and one upmanship and settle down to using this forum like Dolly intended. Tomorrow welcome July and hope for better things. Hoping all your holidays come to fruition and everyone keep safe.

Totally agree Edward

I for one have just kept out of it. Never sure what the point was really. Sure as hell had nothing to do with offering advice and help about Los G and the area around it.

Must have been lock down fever!!!!!!

Awol

Offline nophead

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2020 »
I think it is because the chances of being able to come to LG and what life will like there are dominated by Covid19 and the two government's responses to it is why it has become a topic of conversation.