Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Virus  (Read 13734 times)

Offline unhappy

Re: Virus
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2020 »
Advertisement
nopead, if the UK think after least an enforced 15 days lockdown here, we are going to get home and then not be able to buy food for 14 days they must be crazy.

Are they trying to lower the infection rate by starving us to death, at least we can buy food here it's not raining and the sun is still shining, I would rather stay here.

Went to Mercadona today only 1 person allowed to shop, still no toilet rolls, so bought half a dozen bottles of wine instead, did a bbq tonight and watched the fishing boats out in the ocean," life sucks when the world is going crazy".

Offline nophead

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2020 »
Not sure about what happens when we enter the UK. I assume if we have to self isolate they will tell us on the plane.

We won't starve as we have food in the freezer at home and friends that will drop stuff off if we can't get home delivery.

At the moment at least you can go for a walk in the UK, which you can't do here without a dog. We normally walk miles a day, so will soon get unfit staying in our apartment here. All there is to do is look at the view and eat and drink.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020 »
All shops here in Suffolk fully stocked with everything.

Offline Davymar

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2020 »
We arrived back home from the 6.10pm flight to manchester last night, the Tenerife airport was chaotic, huge queues for vending machines, people sat all over the floor, loads of masks being worn, people have been told by the airlines to get a flight as soon as they can, some have lost what would have been half their holiday, others have to wait, people turning up to find their flight had been cancelled, for once, glad to be home!

Online Georgie

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2020 »
How sad

Offline Pete

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2020 »
I also flew home yesterday and I don't recognise the talk of chaos etc.
Sun holidays transfer to the airport was efficient as usual, we had no queue at all for check in with Ryanair, we sailed through security. In departures all the duty free shops were closed, but there was a bar open for drinks, W H Smith's was open, the vending machines were kept restocked. some people sat on the floor but we found a seat without too much trouble. A few people wore masks but the vast majority didnt. We boarded on time and had the usual flight home at our scheduled time. People do seem to love drama when none really exists.

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2020 »
Well it's starting here in London. Rumour is we will be in Lockdown by the end of the week! Trains on Sunday service, and only travel or drive for essentials like food and doctor/hospital.
I don't know where you are returning home to Pete! And unless you are retired, you may find a bit of Drama in your occupation, or lack of it.

Offline nophead

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2020 »
Well at least in the UK you can still take exercise.

Prof Whitty, the UK's chief medical adviser, adds it is "very important" that children and adults take exercise, and being outside in the park is a "very good thing to do".

Speaking to the BBC's special coronavirus programme, he said: "The thing we are trying to avoid is people meeting up unnecessarily or having unnecessary social contact."

He says going to the park is encouraged, but crowding together with large groups of friends for long periods of time is advised against.

I will get glad to get home because I come here in the winter to get fit walking up and down the hills. I think the Spanish government are crazy saying people can't go out. Some can't even see the sun if they have a balcony facing north. This will go on for months and they will end up with a very unhealthy population.

Offline Pete

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2020 »
Your correct Pilgrim,  I donít live in London where all the cases appear to be.
I live in the North, got home late last night, good flight home, no drama, went to Aldi today, picked up a few toilet rolls, no shortage, local pub is still open, life goes on.
 Shouldnt we should just be telling the old and vulnerable to isolate and take care. Look after the high risk groups. Most other people will get mild symptoms and recover.
 Majority of the deaths so far are people with underlying health conditions. Itís an extremely small number 104 deaths so far in a population of nearly 70 million. More chance youíll die from flu or get run over going to panic buy at the supermarket.
Your correct in your assumption that Iím retired, but Iím optimistic rather than pesimistic, Iíve booked in for Sunday lunch at the local, if the dreaded virus makes me 105 out of the 70 million! Cest la vie.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2020 »
Pete, your indifference, and blasť attitude, is against what the advice and majority are working toward!
If you have no respect for your own welfare, you should at least have some for others, including your own
loved ones! May I kindly suggest you cancel your Sunday lunch at the 'Local Pub'. and self isolate as you have just returned from a Virus infected overseas region. If no symptoms are present after the isolation, sure you can go and have that pub lunch. Having an Optimistic outlook is not an antidote to Covid 19.

Offline AWOL

• Old Hand
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2020 »
Fully agree. We returned home 2 weeks ago and went into semi isolation and have done our two weeks and are fine but we could have been infected during the journey home.

AWOL

Offline Davymar

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2020 »
People do seem to love drama when none really exists
Pete, i am glad you got home without drama, we too sailed through security, however, i find your attitude to the virus quite frightening! I have no underlying health issues personally, but i do feel a sense of responsibility to those less fortunate, it is up to the general public to help to control this virus by acting sensibly, it is a sad fact of life that this will not happen! this virus is NOT going away, even our los gigs taxi driver was wearing a mask, i believe the canarians did all they could under the circumstances, which is more than can be said about the uk panic buyers stood shoulder to shoulder coughing! :P

Offline unhappy

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2020 »
Hay oh, Just been informed by Ryanair our flight has been cancelled on the 29/03, what I don't understand is it has been fully booked for some time, there are no flight restrictions from Tenerife, my only conclusion is that because they can not bring any passengers in, they could not care less about their customers already here. ( Shame on you Mr O'leary of Ryanair is money that more important to you )

They have informed me I can book another flight from the 3rd of MAY what has happend to the repatreaction flights ? for British subjects stuck abroad.

Also rang the British Consulate here it rings gives you a number to press then it disengages, great, no help at all

Offline nophead

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2020 »
Airlines have been flying out empty planes for rescue flights and advising people to come home early on those. They can't carry on doing that forever.

Ryanair seem to be the worst. They were still flying people into Tenerife on Sunday and anybody that did not want to come lost their airfare. I don't know why they didn't offer you a rescue flight earlier. Was your flight booked as a return? I can imagine if it was a single they can just cancel it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020 by nophead »

Offline unhappy

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2020 »
That does not add up you are saying Ryanair were flying people in last sunday, the Spanish Government are closing all hotels & tourist complexes from next Saturday, so if you flew out with them on a 2 week holiday that sunday you will be thrown out of your accomodation with no flights to get home & nowhere to stay.

They have taken our money and just left us here

Offline nophead

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2020 »
It does seem like that. We were with Easyjet. They didn't actually inform us our flight was cancelled but I looked at it on their website on Sunday and it said it was cancelled and that I should book a rescue flight that would be released on Monday. So on Monday morning I logged on and found there was a rescue flight at the same time as our original flight yesterday. The only difference was the flight number went from 1902 to 9902 and we had to check in again.

The last flight on the rescue list for Manchester was today but I think they may have added some more. People next to us wanted to fly to Newcastle but could only get to Manchester. Manchester normally has the most flights to Tenerife of anywhere in the world, so we were lucky. Where are you flying to, can you get a flight to somewhere else in the UK?

We got home yesterday and the UK taxi driver we have used for years said he had one more job booked and that was it. He is trying to be re-employed as a delivery driver!

Went shopping today and found everything we needed but milk was vary scarce. Aldi seemed the best stocked, plenty of toilet rolls and fresh fruit and veg. No milk though, we got ours from a Co-op garage.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020 by nophead »

Offline nophead

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2020 »
Just seen this:

Updated 6pm, 20/3: I hope this will reassure. UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab and Spainís Foreign Minister Arancha GonzŠlez have spoken and confirmed their shared commitment to support British tourists as they return from Spain. Both the Foreign Office and Department of Transport are working with UK airlines to ensure sufficient flights continue back to UK for British holidaymakers in Spain.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2020 »
Unhappy, it seams you have been treated terribly! Years ago they cancelled our flight from Dublin, and made us drive to Cork for a flight! I had my elderly mum and aunt with us, it was no picnic. Have not been on a Ryan Air flight since!
Unhappy, just a suggestion?
Why don't you change your name from 'Unhappy'   You never know it may make a positive difference!

Offline nophead

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2020 »
Oh and now taxi drivers are only allowed to have one passenger, so couples need two taxis to take them to the airport. Presumably a party of four would need four taxis!

It's bonkers because if one of a couple has it the other likely has as well. So in that case two taxi drivers would be infected instead of one. Even if there is half the chance of a driver being infected with one person, twice as many drivers with half the chance of getting it would be the same number of infections.

I think it must be just to get the maximum out of tourists before they have no business at all.

They will have to knock down all the hotels and revert them back to banana plantations because even if they stop the spread of infection they won't have any immunity, so will not be able to open the borders again.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2020 »
Sounds like a bit of a taxi scam!

Offline unhappy

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2020 »
Pilgrim, this is the only site that I posting is under unhappy & until the government give me back the 18000.00 euro they stole from me, no chance.

nophead, perhaps instead of talking to the Spanish Mr Rabb should be talking to the British consulate here to help anybody who needs help over here.

As for myself 73 & my wife 70 and after talking to all our friends in the UK they are all saying we would be better off staying here. Went to Mercadona at 18.00 today almost everything in stock there was approx 6 YES 6 people in the store & the sun is still shinning

It is going to cost us a few bob, but at the moment we will just wait for the next flight out, Ryanair & jet2 are saying the 3rd of May

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2020 »
Well UK is closing all bars and Restaurants, schools, gyms, clubs etc... think shops and garages still okay! So maybe better of where you are Unhappy!
But weather is improving here at last, we have had a few dry days!
I have a few 60/70s classic cars, so told the wife we will just go out in those with a thermos flask and a sandwich. National Trust have closed their houses but the grounds remain open, the roads should be quite,
be just like out with my parents when I was a kid.
Well that's the idea!!!

Offline Sangriaman

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2020 »
Sounds like a good plan to me pilgrim, letís just hope the hoarders donít turn their attentions from toilet rolls to petrol and we might just get away with it ????

Offline nophead

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2020 »
Not easy to hoard petrol once your tank is full and as there is nowhere to go now, so not much motivation.

People are told to self isolate. People like myself who are retired only need to go out and mix with people when we buy food and toilet rolls. It makes sense to buy enough for 3 months if you have room to store it. I don't see why it is classed as hoarding. Seems like rational planning to me.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2020 »
nophead, that is hoarding as you have said you are retired you can go anytime i hope you saw that poor nurse who had worked a 48hr shift and unable to get food, sorry shame on you and any other person who has the same attitude.

Offline nophead

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2020 »
I don't want to go multiple times because I want to stay in to avoid contact. Milk is rationed to one bottle at the local shop. We normally buy two at a time, so now have to go twice as often. What sense is that?

If the government expect us to stay in they should expect us to buy enough food to cover that.

In other news, if you have a hire care you are allowed to drive yourself to the airport but your partner has to get a taxi. Scam or what?

Offline unhappy

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2020 »
That is not what you posted you talked about having a 3 month supply that is hording

Offline nophead

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2020 »
Well I think we would normally have about 2 months supply anyway but we ran things down before going to Tenerife in October, so only have enough for a about a month now. We emptied our fridge freezer because it has the same electronics as the one that burnt down Grenfell but we still have a small chest freezer full.

We tend to buy in bulk because it is cheaper and we have a large house. For example Tesco do offers of so much off when you spend £80, etc. My wife tries to use them all and that causes a big build up. Normally I tell her off for making the house look like a warehouse, but glad of it now.

Offline Sangriaman

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2020 »
Nophead if you are worried about going out for groceries etc, you should try online shopping! Weíve used Ocado for a couple of years now and they provide a great service. , But stockpiling , hoarding or whatever you want to call it is a very self centred approach to take in the current situation.

Offline nophead

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2020 »
I think Ocado stopped taking orders and online groceries are only 7% of the total, so they simply don't have capacity for everybody to get deliveries. I did see Amazon delivering toilet rolls to one of our neighbours.

Today we shopped for our elderly and vulnerable neighbours opposite as well but Costco were rationing most things to one item, so we had to split a two pack of milk. They need to bring back ration books so we can shop for others as well as ourselves.

We mainly got three bags of compost to grow our own food. We are usually self sufficient in fruit and veg in the summer. That is one of the reasons we have a freezer full of stuff. We get gluts and need to cook and freeze to store things.