Re: Virus
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2020 »
Advertisement
Thank you for that report Dolly.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2020 »
Ok I will try and stay up to 11

British airways are saying tonight it will be 7 years before normal service resumes

What I can't understand is where are their cash reserves and where are the auditors in this process

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2020 »
7 years! there will be no visitors left in LG. Average age must be 70! We will all be the other side of the turf!
And the next generation of lacklustre, lazy, liberal/labour loving wasters, so "woke" and easily fooled will not be able to pay the flight costs! as the nanny state will be broke, and the benefits will be reduced.
Spain will even be more bust! the grand standing preaching president, will quietly disappear! And the northern union EU bunch will let them go bust! And then it will be a nice place to go back to again.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2020 »
Just had full refund from Jet2 for our May holiday package. Jet2 have been brilliant. Would never travel with anyone else.

Offline Mary

« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2020 »
I agree SandyLea, we’ve flown with them since they first launched and have never had a problem at all. Yes they are slightly more expensive but in our opinion we’ll worth it.
Thing is pay peanuts and get monkeys!

Offline Samijoe

« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2020 »
We have also received our refund from Jet2 without any problems. Hoping the September flights go ahead, but not optimistic. Missing LG , and feel so sorry for all business owners who are suffering during the lockdown. We intend to spend as much as possible when we eventually return  :)

Offline unhappy

« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2020 »
The thing is paying £326.00 one way is not peanuts, also Jet2 cancelled our second flight almost a month ago still no refund from either flight

Offline unhappy

« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2020 »
Well said Pilgrim, ventured out today to the Pharmacy, what is the saying "give them an inch and they will take a mile" never seen so many people out and about and the roads so busy.

Also meet one of our friends, funnily the second restaurant owner we have meet this week, these are owners of 2 of the most popular restaurants in the area,  also both have had a meal in our home.  They both said they would prefer to be open, but luckily they said their busy part of the season had just finished before the lockdown and are hoping to reopen around the 10 to 15 of May but with only a 30% capacity allowed.

If our third flight is cancelled on Saturday we will just forget booking flights until we know they are in the air flying back and forward to Tenerife.

Offline janey

« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2020 »
The thing is paying £326.00 one way is not peanuts, also Jet2 cancelled our second flight almost a month ago still no refund from either flight
  its funny how you always tend to get the bad end of the stick unhappy.  everybody else booked with jet2 have praised them.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2020 »
326 one way??!!  We only pay about 400 each for return flights with Jet2 and 7 nights accommodation in el sombrero with transfers included too.

Offline Samijoe

« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2020 »
We have never had such cheap flights with Jet2. September 2020 , flight only, cost £620. It does include pre booked seats though. Still think it’s reasonable taking convenient flight times into account. Prices for April 2021 are £150 more than we have just been refunded for April 2020. No surprise.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2020 »
That is why I booked for December only a deposit because hopefully if everything is ok the prices will rocked

Don't mind  losing 100 pound

Offline unhappy

« Reply #162 on: April 30, 2020 »
Janey, that is not actually true before janet anscombe stopped taking the "flight" problem posts here, more than 1 person besides myself complained that we had not received any refund from Jet2.

Sandylea, you seem to doubt how much I have paid, would you like to refund me costs, I can email the Invoices for that flight, because I tried to conform with the British Government's advice to return home as soon asap.

Now I will set a can of worms off, why would I want to stop in the el sombrero a complex thats gets all the traffic & noise from, diesel lorries, buses & cars going in & out of LG, that is not a holiday to me, sorry I can afford something  better than the average bucket & spader, that's why I have been here for 4 months in a fantastic house & if my flight is cancelled again on Saturday, I have decided to stay here possibly until mid June or later, although I have now obtained a discount, it is costing me over 1300.00 euro a month to rent it. Also I like to pick what my flight times are like mid day out, mid day home, not the flight times Jet2 offer from my local airport, red eye flights.

Sorry if this offends some people but from 15 to 67 I worked my guts out to get to the position I am in now, and it was worth every 25 hour day. NOW I CHOOSE.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2020 »
The Janet Anscombe site was great till Brexit, then she lost it, not expecting people to vote for it!
Then every thing was anti Brexit, very sad! Then I thought why would any one treat the people like that.
Turns out she is a retired teacher!!! Haa kids are easily influenced, very unpleasant. Guess the tax payers have a lot to learn about supporting and paying these people to hopefully educate our kids!

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2020 »
Those that do do, those that can't teach"
One eyed man is king, amongst the blind or kids.
These are not my views at all! just something that popped up when I googled problem teachers!

Offline Samijoe

« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2020 »
Have to agree with Unhappy about the standard of accommodation that individuals choose. We also prefer to pay for a touch of luxury, home from home really . There are some fantastic private apartments around LG which work out only slightly more expensive than a package. At a certain age who wants to put up with basics if you can afford not to. Would rather have a beautiful apartment and fabulous views for our stay.

Offline nophead

« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2020 »
Yes the apartment price seems quite reasonable but the flights seem about twice as much as we pay with Travel Republic unless they are in school holiday times and then they would be cheap.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2020 »
Unhappy, I actually agree with you regarding el sombrero. However, it is a nice central, clean location to escape to sunnier climes for people on a limited budget and if you ask for a studio at the rear you don't get traffic noise, but you get a stunning view of La Gomera. You can actually get a week's package with Jet2 at beginning of December for about 300 per person if you book at the right time.

Personally we prefer the tui sensimar hotel but don't like the  fact you have to have half board as the food is not brilliant and tui customer service is dreadful.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2020 »
PS. Jet2 flights from Stansted are always good - not too early and not too late.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2020 »
SandyLea, Why support a hotel group when you say the service and food is not very good whatever the price.

When we first came here 30 years ago and stayed in LG and thought it was great, then we decided to purchase a property, the very overpriced properties in LG made us purchase a property in PS the best thing we did, after selling our properties we now rent, we get what WE want

Except for one very over priced restaurant in a poor location in LG, all the better restaurants are in PS and PlA and the accommodation is much better, easy access to 3 different supermarkets, buses, taxis and post office.

As for flights from Stansted not a lot of use to us, that live in the Midlands.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2020 »
No, we don't go to the hotel anymore precisely because the food is bad and tui are a rubbish company. We used to live in one of the apartments in Poblado which we  loved (only a rental) but Lea couldn't get health insurance because of his heart condition so we came back to uk and have to console ourselves with our LG holidays now. I'll certainly look at  private rentals as you seem to have bagged yourself somewhere lovely but I worry about any privately advertised properties being scams but I'm very risk averse.  Pray to God our Christmas and new year holiday already booked with Jet2 to el sombrero goes ahead.

Offline Samijoe

« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2020 »
We have had numerous apartments through private rentals since 2009. Never had any issues with any kind of scam. Always pay through a secure method first time we use a new apartment. Had some fantastic places in LG and LA. Would never use hotels , especially after listening to people complain about food etc whilst having drinks in the square.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2020 »
SandyLea, Can I make a suggestion, we were very lucky we had friends here that owned an estate agency & they used to sort properties out for us to rent, but they sold it & moved to Valenca last year.

So we went online & found the complex we used to own in, we booked an apartment for 10 days & when we arrived they put us in our own apartment we had sold to them, this was the best 2bed 2bath on the complex because we had had it totally refurbished only 12 months before we sold it to them.

While we were here we had found a company, which was Russian so a little dubious, they had 1&2 bed apts & the House we wanted to rent for 3 months, although we had a car, they picked us up twice to show us the properties, we did a deal & booked the house, we arrived on the 02/01/20 & thanks to the airlines have been here since then, all I can say is they have been fantastic, nothing to much trouble.

The suggestion is have a look around when you are here, view the property & do a deal you can only ask, they can only say yes or no, with what has gone on over here, some owners will be glad of the booking.

Offline Davymar

« Reply #173 on: May 01, 2020 »
We do very similar when we come here, we book a flight and private accommodation, we have stayed at Sombrero and poblado, the poblado had a great view over the harbour, but got very little sun till late, but they are a little run down now, we did ok at sombrero, the pad was near the gate, all the idiots staying there were to lazy to close the gate! not for us, this was a long time ago, all private now, this year we had a week in Tamara and a week in Las Mimosa, both good but Tamara better, there are plenty private pads for rent, if you do tripadvisor or home and away your money is protected, we have never had any problems, but we check out well in advance before booking.

Offline Mary

« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2020 »
SandyLea I’ve sent you a private message, hope it’s of some help

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2020 »
Unhappy, what is the name of the Russian company please?
Mary, thank you.

Offline nophead

« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2020 »
The Janet Anscombe site was great till Brexit, then she lost it, not expecting people to vote for it!
Then every thing was anti Brexit, very sad! Then I thought why would any one treat the people like that.
Turns out she is a retired teacher!!! Haa kids are easily influenced, very unpleasant. Guess the tax payers have a lot to learn about supporting and paying these people to hopefully educate our kids!

I thought you were being a bit harsh until she wrote this today:

No I do not expect clarifications, I expect enforcement, followed by the usual wails of anguish that people “didn’t know”. This is a “new normality” alright for most people, I suspect, one in which doing as they like with no repercussions or responsibilities is in the past.

I certainly come on holiday to do what I like (walk, eat and drink) with no responsibilities. And the only repercussions are it puts money into the Tenerife economy and keeps people in work. She seems to be loving the police state and telling people what they can't do.

The latest Spanish rules are bonkers. With a 1 km radius I would be able to do a nice circuit down past El Varadero and back along the coast through PLA up through PS but no I can't because I think it crosses a municipal boundary at Cuava Del Polvo. That is only a political boundary with no physical reality and no significance to spreading the virus. What a stupid rule.

Offline Samijoe

« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2020 »
I read her website regularly, but agree she is becoming rather aggressive and self important in her responses. Very disappointed. Much prefer this site.

Jet2 have just amended our September flight time by an hour. Don’t know if this means lots of activity going on now with flight schedules. Fingers crossed that it still goes ahead.

Offline nophead

« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2020 »
Flight times to Tenerife seem to have been inflated over the last couple of years but they always beat them and arrive about 1/2 hour early, even if they set off late. I think they do it so they are never late and maybe allow for the worst case headwind.

I can remember a few years ago when the flight times were about right but they were nearly always late.

Offline Samijoe

« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2020 »
Sorry, wasn’t clear. Should have said moved it forward an hour, from 3 pm to 4pm departure. As long as this is the only change we are not bothered. Should have been in LG now for another 2 weeks, so having withdrawal symptoms. That’s not to say we don’t sympathise with those who need to still get home.