Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Juan Carlos  (Read 1378 times)

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
Juan Carlos
« on: February 16, 2020 »
Advertisement
Although we have been coming to LG all these years, we have not eaten in the Juan Carlos Restaurant.
It has always been busy when we have wanted to go. So this year just after Xmas I tried to book for valentines, but alas it was busy. But managed to get a booking for this coming weekend. So I am wondering what it is like! The other night we sat at a table outside CK's Bistro and tried to establish if it was even open!
Could see no lights on and not even a menu in the window. But we did see a group of 4 Spanish enter, and about half an hour later another Spanish group of 4. So even though it looked desolate and closed, it was in fact opened. Anybody got an experience of the place, or recommendations of what to eat!

Offline Davymar

Re: Juan Carlos
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020 »
Quote from a review.
A 1* star Michelin restaurant in Los Gigantes? Yes, there is and it is worth a try. In its category it is inexpensive, we had the full, 15 courses tastingmenu and the full, 12 glasses winemenu. I will not disclosure so much about the menu, but it is very creative and innovative. The menu in total was 185€ pp, which is very reasonable.

For that sort of price i would expect to have bought the table and chairs, plus all the cutlery.! :o

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020 »
Yes, it does seem costly! But am approaching a Decade Birthday, so what the heck!
Will post and tell you how we got on and at what cost!

Offline Georgie

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020 »
We go most years but very expensive and well worth it

The outside seating is very romantic so go for it

The food and wine are excellent and a great experience

Offline Davymar

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020 »
Yes, it does seem costly! But am approaching a Decade Birthday, so what the heck!
Will post and tell you how we got on and at what cost!
I noticed they did a six course taster, i think that was 155e, we have tried to visit a couple of times but it always appears closed, to be honest i am glad, after seeing the prices ;D, i simply cannot believe any food could be worth that price, i could be called a cheapskate, but i can live with that :) I hope you enjoy it, it would be interesting to hear your views.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020 by Davymar »

Offline Georgie

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020 »
It is very expensive but excellent for a true experience

You have to go

Offline Davymar

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020 »

You have to go
Georgie, you do realise the price was 188.50,  not 18.50!
for someone who posts about cheap accommodation, and takeaway meals, i doubt you have even been near the place, never mind had a meal there!  ::)

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020 »
Yes, Davymar I was wondering that also! Guess Georgie talking about outside seating must mean CK's Bistro to one side, or to the Asturias bakery the other side. Not quite the same! Unless Juan Carlos has started doing bacon Baguetts.

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020 »
Anyway the wife says she wants a new dress for Juan Carlos dinner this weekend, the cost is going to get stupid. She is insistent!
I suggest that nice white one I always liked.
Apparently there is a rip in the veil!
Their never happy?

Offline Georgie

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020 »
We do treat ourselves now and again and I rather pay for good cheap accommodation that is clean and spend the money when going out

The only course that was a bit too much for me was the pig cheeck

Offline unhappy

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020 »
Flor Del Drago do a similar tasting menu with a wine expert now and again for a lot less money, always fully booked and is the best value for money restaurant in the area with a chef not a cook.

Offline Davymar

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020 »

You have to go

Offline VictorM

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020 »
Flor del Drago does not now do the wine tastings. They now offer a monthly Gourmet Menu of about 5 courses - and you choose and pay for your own wines etc.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020 »
Don't worry everyone you can also have a ordinary meal from the menu which is expensive but lovely and  the under 185 euro which seems to have gone up since our last visit of around 120 euros

Offline Georgie

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020 »
Just found out from a friend that it is 90 euros a head for excellent different food which to be fair is only 40 euros more than a average restaurant so give it a go and don't worry about me hiring cheap accommodation you need to enjoy

Offline Georgie

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020 »
If you are worried about money try the lovely la pergola restaurant where the food is lovely and the wine is excellent

That is why we choose value for money and clean accommodation

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020 »
When booking you have to add your bank card details before. Got an email today saying that should we fail to turn up or cancel they will deduct 50 Euros per person. There is still no menu in window or online.
Have they been reading this forum!
When we looked through the opaque windows today, we saw a pentagram on the wall.
This place is getting dodgier my the minute.
Georgie you seem the most alert and smart person on this forum.
Can u txt me say every 10 minutes after we arrive at 8pm, and I will respond with an OK!
And should I fail to do so,you can immediately contact the local Police.
Would really appreciate this favour. Would even treat you to some Pigs cheek or a Bic Mac.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020 »
What a weird response

What is a big mic

Something you sing into

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020 »
I agree Georgie, it is all the stress of this big meal coming up. We have been starving all day, and won't be eating anything until the big meal tomorrow! Taster menu comprises of 6 main courses! So we need to make lots of room!

Offline Georgie

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020 »
That is a better response but make sure you have breakfast for your blood sugar level

Have a great time and I am jealous

Offline angiebabes

• regular contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020 »
‘Ow much? I couldn’t get the money out of my sporran! Just had stew and tatties - lovely! Cost? Less than €2 and loved it.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020 »
Nice 1

It's not the cost but how lovely it is

Did you have wee scotch

Offline angiebabes

• regular contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2020 »
Aye a wee dram!

Offline Georgie

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2020 »
Nice 1

Did you hear the story in the news about that bottle of selling for thousands in the week

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020 »
Juan Carlos review sort off!
There is only the tasting menu. Which was 95 Euros each. And I had to ask the price as it was not stated.
We had a cheep bottle of wine, which was 49 Euros, and 2 medium bottle of Still water at 5 Euros each.
They had a wine course, that is 6 small glasses, different depending on what food they bring out. That was 60 Euros, or 12 glasses one for each food item at 90 Euros. I asked if my wife and I could share the 12 glasses as that would be nearly 3 bottles. They said sharing not aloud and in quantity as they are taster wines quantity is less than a bottle.
There are 20 covers in the restaurant and 3 waitresses. The whole thing from sitting down to leaving was a little over a Hour and a half. The bill came to 256 and we gave them 270 Euros.
It was fine, but you must be ok with just or barley cooked, sqid, oyster, pigeon mackeral etc..
If you are a sweet person you will be in Heaven.
I would not go more than once a year.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020 »
Completely out of our league and we wouldn't want all that wine anyway. The food you've mentioned, eg pigeon, oyster and squid not for us either. Will give it a miss. I do think these Michelin starred restaurants are a rip off.

Offline Davymar

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020 »
Thanks for the review Pilgrim, should our paths ever cross, i will buy you and yours a drink!  i feel that your write up has stopped me from being reckless and taking my friend the wallet to the place! ;D I simply do not think that i could have justified spending that amount of money on food and Wine, especially as we can buy wine from the supermarket on heartbreak hill, very good wine for under 10 euro, the wine at Bodeguita is quite cheap also, we shall be sticking to other restaurants on our March visit. 8)

Offline Georgie

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020 »
Sandylea I agree with you that is why we travel cheaply

But it is a experience and you can have the main menu

Especially if you sit outside

Offline pilgrim

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020 »
Hi Georgie, there is no outside seating and never has been. Not that type of Restaurant?
And there was no main menu?
I would have preferred a regular menu, with full main dishes as you have some control on what you prefer.
Before you call me a Philistine, I have had the taster menu at Nathan Outlaws starred restaurant in Cornwall, and at a very disappointing Savoy Hotel Park lane.
Maybe my palette is not as sophisticated as some others!
---NO MORE TASTER MENUS---

Offline Georgie

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020 »
Pilgrim thanks for your excellent feedback but we have sat  outdoors by the cactus plant surrounded by the brcik structure
Maybe you are right that they have stopped outside dining within the last 12 months