Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: British TV  (Read 1484 times)

Offline unhappy

British TV
« on: December 02, 2019 »
Advertisement
Hi, I have rented one of the new Townhouses for 3 months by Mercadona they have told me there is English TV in the house, I am worried that this does not include BBC & ITV & my Good Lady the other half will have drive me mad if see can not watch Corrie, "I know it is sad"

If it is not in the house is there any way of getting it installed for a 3 month period and any idea how much it costs.

I think there are certain ways you can get it on the internet but I am not that clever with that kind of thing or is there anybody locally that could do it.

Hoping you can help, regards

Offline VictorM

Re: British TV
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019 »
How come you have  rented a property for 3 months without checking on what your other half may consider essential for an enjoyable holiday? Go back and ask the renter.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019 »
Thanks VictorM for that, why do you think I posted in the first place, unfortunately sometimes things get lost in translation, the Company I am hiring the property from keep telling me it has English TV- BBC etc.

What I am trying to avoid is arriving & finding no ITV as far as I am concerned watching soaps is like watching paint dry, but it never does, but the other half although she is very clever & intelligent she loves Corrie.

At my age all I want to do is get out of the cold of the UK and have a quite holiday OK

Online nophead

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019 »
I have satellite TV in my apartment with dozens of channels. The UK ones are BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, C4, More4, Film4 and Sky news. Notably absent are C5 and BBC4.

I have no idea if this is what you will get, but chances are if you have a dish pointing at the same satellite you should get the same.

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Good Works
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019 »
Regards watching paint dry, we were at Mercadona today, and they were painting the new houses in a grey colour. So if no ITV just get the Mrs to watch the outside walls for 30 minutes in the evening.

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019 »
I suggest you install VPN on her phone or tablet. Then she can watch BBC or ITV with her headphones on and you can have a peaceful holiday. Google "VPN" if you are not sure about it. You will need a good Internet connection or a good allowance of data.

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019 »
Another way is to take out a month's subscription to FilmOn. com. That way you get all UK channels, plus 1 hour recording, and don't need VPN. You will still need Internet or data.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019 »
Bit sad watching television when you are in such a lovely place

Offline unhappy

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019 »
Tanemera, thank you for your helpful post, it's a pity other people on this site would rather post stupid comments that informative ones.

Then one nevers knows how intelligent they are, but sometimes you just have to humour and ignore them.

Offline angiebabes

• regular contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019 »
Bit sad watching television when you are in such a lovely place

Surprising though you might find it Georgie, we arenít in Sweden, so it does get dark at night and the sun goes down, so for those of us who donít want to spend our time at party central, being at home with loved ones watching tv is quite appealing. And those of us alone find companionship relating to tv programmes. Can you not find another site to have a go on? Give us a break for Xmas please!

Offline Georgie

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019 »
Sorry to upset you both but the last thing on our mind is to watch television on holiday

If you live there or spend lots of time there then I understand

But for me we pack everything in to truly appreciate what a lovely place it is

Sorry and have everyone a lovely xmas

Offline Georgie

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019 »
I should be more considerate to others

Offline Davymar

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019 »
You have to appreciate Georgie, everyone is different, we have stayed for long periods and a TV can be handy at times, we were there a couple of years ago when the bad storms hit, it was cold and wet, we were grateful that the pad we booked had an assortment of brit TV, we normally load up our tablet with iplayer and such downloads before we go, we can watch it on the plane and whenever we feel like it in the pad. each to their own :P

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Good Works
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019 »
I agree, we didn't have TV for the first few years. Then got it installed, the old system via Gomera. We learnt how to cook again, and spent a lot less money, as not out every night. I find that I need the news a lot, and all other media as well. It's just part of life now!

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019 »
Have you thought about an Amazon fire tv stick. You could get this in the UK and bring it over with you, or you could subscribe to Now TV and watch it in Tenerife. The apartment we rent has an IPTV box which gives us lots of channels. We stay for 3 weeks every January and wouldn't thank you for going out every night now. We often go out in the daytime and watch a bit of tv in the evening. We come for rest, relaxation and sunshine. I guess it's called getting old.

Offline paulb

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019 »
Sky go worked perfectly when i stayed at el sombrero last week watched the sunday football.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019 »
Couple of problems with that paulb 1, we don't have sky 2, my wife is a Blue Nose and I don't think they show the EFL & she would prefer to watch Corrie

Offline paulb

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2019 »
Sky go has ITV and BBC also the ITV app is available for use throughout the internet you would have to check if it is available  overseas.

Online nophead

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019 »
Pretty sure all UK TV internet sites refuse to serve overseas. I use a VPN connected to my home router in the UK and that fools them all.

Offline paulaf

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019 »
Have you got a smartphone or tablet? There is an app called UK TV and radio that claims to stream live tv, you would then need to cast or mirror it to the TV using something like Chromecast. This is a link to install the app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manifest.uklive

Offline White Rose

• regular contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019 »
I'm in Los G now and have downloaded paulaf suggestion  to try for you.  Turned off my VPN incase  you don't  have one and it works perfectly.
If you  have a tablet I can't  see it would be a problem your  wife watching Corrie on that.  Better small screen  than non at all.

Offline paulaf

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2019 »
Thanks for that White Rose pleased to know it works and yes watching on a tablet would be ok I think too. If unhappy doesn't have one you can buy them very cheaply. Hope it helps others too, I'll try it myself when in LG in January.

Offline White Rose

• regular contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2019 »
Pleased to help. Will keep trying it to make sure it isn't  a fluke that it plays .

Offline paulaf

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2019 »
The reviews on Play store are pretty good, sometimes crashes  I think.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019 »
Many thanks for all your help, hopefully when we arrive on Jan 3rd I will be able to sort something out if we have a problem with the TV in the house we are renting, and then have a quite 3 months and hope the weather is as good as last year.

Offline paulaf

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2019 »
You're welcome, hope one of these ideas works for you, hope you enjoy your holiday very sensible escaping the British winter, we'll be there for 2 weeks in January so yes hoping for good weather too.

Offline Shifnalgirl

• regular contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020 »
Hi Unhappy,
Interested to hear how you got on as itís something we would consider doing on a 3 month basis.....

Offline unhappy

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020 »
Shifnalgirl, the property we have rented is fantastic with everything we need 2 bed/ 2 bed fantastic sea views & Gomera, garden, full winter sun after 10.00am large lounge, bedrooms & bathrooms very quite location, heated pool with nobody using it, garage with electric door, easy access to Mercadona & Dino's, after EMP we are in heaven and it has cost us only 4500 euro for 3 months all inclusive

PS. We do not have British TV at the moment but they have promised to get it next week

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Good Works
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020 »
Sounds like Manana Unhappy!

Offline pesatron

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2020 »
Unhappy, is Mrs Unhappy now happy she can watch British tv?