Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Tap water  (Read 1147 times)

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
Tap water
« on: November 18, 2019 »
Advertisement
Hello,
Is it safe to drink the tap water in Los Gigantes or advisable not to with the past history of norovirus and ongoing roadworks? Thanks

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
Re: Tap water
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019 »
Or to put it another way, do you locals drink it? Thanks

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019 »
paulaf, we use tap water for vegetable cooking however for tea, coffee etc we use bottle or if you have one a filter. Can use it for tea etc but don't taste too nice.

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019 »
Thanks, regarding norovirus, as we suffered with that there a couple of years ago, how do you locals/residents go about avoiding catching it as it seems to occur every year and I don't want it again in January ? Is it something to do with why new waterpipes are being laid? Thanks

Offline Davymar

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019 »
Noravirus is nothing at all to do with tapwater! it is an infection that is spread from person to person, by drinking from an unwashed glass, touching a door handle, breathing, sneezing etc, very similar to catching a cold, it is usually down to poor hygiene standards, cruise ships and large hotel complexes suffer from it every year.

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019 »
Yes I know all that but we caught it there once not staying in a hotel and I know it crops up most years so I wondered if any locals get it or not, probably shouldn't have asked on the back of my question about tap water, is it something to do with the sea spray I read and sewerage issues? Thanks

Offline Davymar

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019 »
We have been coming to Los Gigs for years, we have had it once, we were staying at sombrero, we only ever ate out in local restaurants, at the time the Los Gigs hotel was full of it! we can only presume it was passed to us from eating out or touching something infected, maybe even sat next to someone who was a carrier, it was not very pleasant taking it in turn to use the toilet ;D it kept us in bed for three days, don't want it again!

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019 »
Exactly we both had it for 3 or 4 days and agree it's easy to catch from a handrail, chair, menu etc. I still wonder why it's often prevalent there and if the locals get it.

Offline VictorM

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019 »
Norovirus may be prevalent here very occasionally, but only when it has been brought in by tourists, usually in the winter months. Sitting on a plane that gets warm helps it spread. If you are that worried, please don't come! As a resident without any history of this infection, I can assure you that it is nothing to with LG.

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019 »
Well that's good to know as a resident you haven't suffered with it, and we fly 20 times a year and have never had it anywhere else and ours came on 10 days after arriving so we didn't catch it from our plane but yes from someone else. Here's hoping never again. Do you take any precautions against it?

Offline Davymar

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019 »

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019 »
paulaf, I think that you may have something with sea spray contamination. In winter when the sea is rough it becomes prevalent then. There is so much sea contamination around this coast .I have lived here for nineteen tears and only been in the sea twice and that was in El Pertito in Adeje.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019 »
There is a report in the daily mail today stating there is a outbreak in the uk which is caused by a type of flu strain

No sure it helps or is correct

Offline paulaf

• regular contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019 »
There is a long thread on trip advisor about this and it does seem to put some people off coming. If there is an issue from the sea spray it is a bit worrying as it means sewerage is getting into the sea close to the coast.