Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Internet availability  (Read 944 times)

Offline White Rose

• regular contributor
Internet availability
« on: August 10, 2019 »
Advertisement
I'll be coming at the end of November for 5 weeks but unfortunately the apartment doesn't  have an Internet connection.  I know there is free WiFi in the majority of the bars, I have probably used the majority of them! I would like to be able to connect in the apartment  though.  When clicking on Canaries Wireless under Services on this site it says site  not available, so I presume the company no longer exists.
Has anyone any suggestions  of how I might be able to get internet in the apartment  please?
Thanks.

Offline Davymar

Re: Internet availability
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019 »
Will you be bringing a phone with you? why not tether your phone to your laptop?
I will give you an example, i do not have a phone contract, i use giffgaff PAYG in the uk, when i am on holiday, i buy a goodybag, it costs 12, gives me 5 gigabytes and lasts a month, i simply tether my phone to my tablet, it works perfectly.
I forgot to add, canaries wireless used to be run from the Green corner, it was about 30 for two weeks, it was very slow, a bit rubbish, if you get really stuck, you can hire a mifi with sim from the back street near Vigillia shopping centre.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019 by Davymar »

Offline White Rose

• regular contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019 »
Thank you Davymar for your very quick reply.  Will have two phones and two tablets. We both use Asda payg.  I'm  sorry to say that's  the only thing I understand  to be able to reply to.  I'll  be able to work out  how to tether and search if Asda have a goodybag  like giffgaff.  Will also educate myself as to what mifi is.
Thanks again for the very useful information much appreciated.

Offline Davymar

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019 »
Ok, if you are with Asda you can buy a bundle, around 4gig, lasts for your holiday, before you go on holiday buy your bundle and turn it on (in the uk) turn on data and roaming, switch your tablet on, switch your phone on, each phone is different but, to connect (tether) to a tablet you use wifi from your phone to the tablet, this is basically using your phone as a modem, you can set your phone to connect to one tablet or two tablets, or use two phones to two tablets, the choice is yours, it is very difficult to try to explain online, if you do a search on google it will probably explain it better than i can!  this is your best way of getting internet on holiday (forget the mifi) now you have explained that you have a phone and tablet, it will meet your requirements easily, i use the same system all over europe :)

Offline White Rose

• regular contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019 »
Davymar brilliant explanation.  I understood it completely.  Thank you.  Sounds like  the perfect solution for us, problem solved.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019 »
Well done Davymar, Just what this site is good for.