Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: is marina beach re-open?  (Read 4032 times)

ansuz

is marina beach re-open?
« on: May 17, 2019 »
Advertisement
Hi Guys,

I have visited Los Gigantes this time last May, and unfortunately marina beach was closed.

I am planning to come to LG again in next few weeks potentially, and I really liked the marina beach.

Is it re-open for public and swimming?

I have found some information on tripadvisor, but there was only few people that commented in last few months saying it's always red-orange flagged and is not for swimming?

Offline Dolly Diver

• Administrator
Re: is marina beach re-open?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019 »
Los Gigantes beach is open.  Like all other beaches the orange or red flag will only be displayed when the sea is rough and it is dangerous to swim.  Most of the time a green flag is displayed and it is ok to go in the water.  There will be a life guard on duty to advise people.

At the time of writing the above the beach was open.  However, the beach did close this week for the planned work.  Sorry, but I do not know how long the work is expected to take but I will post news of the progress.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019 by Dolly Diver »

Offline Cartman

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019 »
Dolly,
I think you will find that there is a lifeguard on duty who will blow his whistle every time there is a 6 inch wave. The lifeguards in Los Gigantes and Playa de La Arena have to be the most fearful lifeguards on the planet. I have seen them rudely chasing people out of ankle deep water.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019 by Cartman »

Offline magsnmike

• Old Hand
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019 »
The lifeguards are amazing and probably save so many lives.  What appears to be ankle deep to us mere mortals to the lifeguards they can read the tides and know when someone is in danger.  I would never question their decisions if asked to leave the water.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019 »
 magsnmike,

Your acquiescence to to silly authoritarians is amusing. What appears to be "ankle deep" is ACTUALLY ankle deep. You are correct. The local lifeguards are amazing. In over 50 years of visiting beaches ,the local lifeguards are are the only ones I have ever seen who never seem to get wet. I suggest you spend a few hours at Playa de La arena and watch them wear out their lungs blowing their whistles.My goodness, they harass people sitting on the rocks in calm seas at low tide.

Offline blarer

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019 »
I assume you've never been caught in the undertow at those beaches. Ignore the life guards and their professional skills at your peril. Seen enough tragedies at those beaches through people who know better and ignore the warnings.

Offline magsnmike

• Old Hand
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019 »
Cartman, I have spent many many hours at Arena.  I have witnessed the lifeguards whistling and saving peoples lives.  I have witnessed people ignoring the whistles and being washed out to sea, with the consequence of a helicopter being brought in to try and save a life, to no avail.  You ignore them if you wish, but I certainly respect their authority and knowledge, and thank goodness they are there and keep the beaches and people safe, the clever ones, that choose to listen to their advice. 

Offline Cartman

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019 »
blarer,

Exactly how many tragedies have you witnessed at Los Guios and Playa de la Arena? And how many lives were lost when helicopters failed to rescue people swept from the beaches? I think you folks are confusing the beaches with the treacherous natural pool at Crab Island.The lifeguards are currently saving lives by prohibiting folks from wandering around the exposed rocks on Playa de la Arena. These rocks,by the way, are at least 30 feet from the sea. What makes you imagine that these experts are anymore competent than the local police or the safety experts who paint Zebra crossings right in front of bus stops so people need to peek around the buses before crossing the street?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019 by Cartman »

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019 »
Cartman ,if you don't like it here go somewhere else where they don't have lifeguards and zebra crossings.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019 »
Cartman, I would quit now if I was you, I don't think you are going to win this argument.

Offline magsnmike

• Old Hand
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019 »
Not confused at all. Talking definitely about Arena and not Crab Island. 

Offline Georgie

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019 »
My only comment would be outside the UK no one stops at zebra crossings

Have you been to Italy xx

Offline blarer

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019 »
If you think the sea is safe enough to ignore the lifeguards when the red flag is flying, you're a bloody fool. 30 foot is no distance at all with the strength of the waves and undertows. I'm not confusing the beaches with with the rock pools. I've seen more than enough tragedies especially of Playa de la Arena beach over the years. With the strength of the tides, and undertows it often takes days for bodies to recovered from the sea, people have lost limbs by being dashed against the jagged rocks. Ignoring the lifeguards will not only put your life at risk but that of the people who will try to rescue you. Ironically most deaths in the sea around the Canaries are caused by cardiac arrest due the shock of cold sea. It is the Atlantic Ocean and the Costeros in particular are very dangerous.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019 »
blarer,

Go have a look at the rock area the lifeguards seem to have permanently roped off on Playa de la Arena. While it is possible that somebody may trip on them and scrape a knee, there is absolutely no chance of being swept away. EXACTLY which tragedies at Playa de la Arena are you referring to? And, by the way, what's with the aggression and name calling. Edward Bear tells me to move house and you call me a bloody fool just because I disagree with you. You really are not a very friendly group of folks.

jackngill

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019 »
I don't want to be involved in name calling but with reference to tragedies on Playa La Arena beach in the past 10 years I have seen 3 people receiving serious medical treatment on the beach, one of which proved fatal.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019 »
I've seen a child knocked over by a huge unexpected wave and dragged under.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019 »
Cartman, you did not take my advice as for your comment about the rocks it is stupid I for one would not like to fall on any rocks around this coast line

The point is safety you could drown in a inch of water and the seas again around this coast line can whip up in no time at all.

You may feel the life guard's are over cautious but if you got in to trouble you would hope they are there doing there job.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019 »
Kids love to clamber over rocks. Sometimes they fall down.The rocks I am referring to are on the ground. It is impossible to fall off them into the sea. A scraped knee or twisted ankle are about the worst that could happen The lifeguards are there to assist people not to close down the ocean every time a two foot wave appears. the point is not just safety, it is safety at what price. They could permanently close all the the beaches and then  everybody would be even safer. And we all know how dangerous wet roads are. Why don't they close all the roads when it starts to drizzle. Of course you are correct, you could drown in an inch of water. I'm sure there must be a solution for that. And once again, the use of the term "stupid." Is it possible  for the wise men and women in this forum to disagree without resorting to insults?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019 by Cartman »

Offline frogeddy

• Old Hand
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019 »
Cartman ... over the years a number of people have posted what I consider to be rubbish on this site ....but I have to say that you take the gold star ........ but then again, you could just be a wind up merchant and not as stupid as you sound .......

Offline Cartman

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019 »
I am absolutely amazed that I am the only person viewing this website who has actually visited hundreds of beaches with competent lifeguards. I can assure you that the local lifeguards are both incompetent and rude. Could one of you extremely wise members please explain why the local lifeguards keep their rescue  jetskis permanently parked in Los Gigantes harbour , far away from where they might do some good. Every competent lifeguard force keeps their rescue boats on the shoreline where they might be used to help people who get in trouble. Of course, if you don't let people in the water, you probably don't need rescue boats. One time I actually asked a local lifeguard why they had a red flag up when the ocean was as calm as a lake. With a puzzled look he replied that as the beach had eroded, there were rocks on the seabed and people might get hurt.I assume you all would agree that the possibility of a stubbed toe certainly warrants a red flag. Is there some rule on this site that all replies to posts must include the calling someone "stupid" or am I afflicted with only receiving replies from folks with limited vocabularies and no experience on well run beach resorts
https://i1.wp.com/www.powerlineblog.com/ed-assets/2019/05/IMG_9933.jpg?w=490&ssl=1
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019 by Cartman »

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019 »
Mr Cartman , you really are quite arrogant. May I suggest that each beach, wherever it is , has it's own problems peculiar to that beach. If you are a regular here you will know that being in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean the sea may appear to be flat calm and then from nowhere you will get a huge breaker. The lifeguard from an elevated position can see this coming. I don't know about limited vocabularies I would suggest limited mentality if you cannot see the benefit of lifeguards.

Offline Davymar

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019 »
Well said Mr Bear, it is idiots like this that people put their lives at risk to save!

Offline Cartman

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019 »
If you ever went to the beach, you would have noticed that in Los Gigantes there is no elevated position and at Playa de la Arena they are almost never perched on their elevated position, they merely march up and down annoying everybody with their incessant whistling. I certainly do recognize the importance of competent lifeguards. I just wish we had a few. By the way, have you noticed how often the local lifeguards stop looking at the sea while they peddle the lounge chairs and brollies? And in Los Gigantes, they often leave the beach unattended while they are no doubt saving lives elsewhere. Also, the lifeguards have never put their lives at risk to save my life. They have never needed to save my life. So I can't imagine what idiots Davymar is talking about. I can't help noticing that whenever I make a specific point regarding the the inadequacy of the lifeguard service,rather than posing an intelligent response. all I see is name calling. Perusing other topics on this site, I can see that that members of this forum seem to be very proficient at name calling.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019 by Cartman »

Offline Georgie

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019 »
This thread sounds like brexit xx

Offline angiebabes

• Old Hand
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019 »
Oh Cartman, i so remember being 24 and so, so convinced I knew about life! Calm down, read what you have written, reflect on the life God has given you, stop insulting strangers with your remarks. To everything there is a time. We who have lived, yes lived,  through many decades recognise ourselves in your hot blooded explosions of opinion. When you’ve buried your friends, children and family members, mourned for them, struggled to carry on, you may appreciate everyone has their own opinion, feeling and outlook on every aspect of just living. Ease up, calm down, in another ten years your blood pressure will be suspect! Tongue in cheek I know, and no doubt worthy of a full blown, strenuous reaction from you, but please, give others a chance to differ in their opinions to yours.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019 »
Whenever we've been at playa de la arena, the lifeguards have been sitting in an elevated position on their ladder type chairs blowing their whistle at the idiots who ignore the huge waves coming in infrequently. Someone died there recently who ignored the warnings. It was on Janet anscombes website.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019 »
Please provide the URL of the drowning in Playa de la Arena caused by the man who ignored the warnings. The only fatality in Playa de la Arena that I can can locate on Annscombe's site, seemed to be caused by a heart attack. Are you saying that the lifeguards warned him not to have a heart attack and he ignored them?

Offline unhappy

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019 »
Cartman, You are like a dog with a bone you disagree with everybody, one simple solution get a job as a life
guard.

I am sure the other life guards would love your input

Offline Georgie

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019 »
Edward

Any chance of a joke about life  guards whether who is right or wrong please

I must say that all my time in los gigantes the sea and swimming pools are to cold for me

We just come for the lovely walks and friendly people

Online pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2019 »
Friendly people! not on this site, you of all people should no that Georgie!