Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: is marina beach re-open?  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Edward Bear

Re: is marina beach re-open?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019 »
Advertisement
pilgrim, did God not teach you how to spell ? know. Just

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019 »
pilgrim, did God not teach you how to spell ? know. Just saying
pilgrim, did God not teach you how to spell ? know. Just saying

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019 »
pilgrim, did God not teach you how to spell ? know. Just saying.

Offline magsnmike

• Old Hand
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019 »
Cartman's words - I am absolutely amazed that I am the only person viewing this website who has actually visited hundreds of beaches with competent lifeguards.............. arrogant

Go back to the beaches that you seem to believe are safeguarded.  I too, like so many on this site and more, have been lucky enough to travel the world and visited many beaches and have adhered to the lifeguards requests to either go in the sea or leave it.   We have survived rip tides in Australia because of local lifeguard knowledge.  Survived jelly fish attacks because of lifeguard knowledge in Greece.  Survived sinking sands in Conway, North Wales, because of lifeguard knowledge.

Go ahead Cartman take your chances at Arena or anywhere else you think you are bigger and better than.   

If a lifeguard blows his whistle and asks me to leave the waters I will listen to his words, and certainly not yours.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019 »
magsnmike,
You obviously do not understand my premise. Lifeguards in other places are great. It is the LOCAL GUARDS who make sure that NOBODY is ever in a position to need their assistance. The inevitable result is that they ban swimming when the conditions don't warrant it.This also chases swimmers to areas without lifeguards, which is more dangerous.
They are not knowledgeable. When larger waves appear, they seem to panic and  blow their whistles and order everybody out of the water. People who comply, find themselves being knocked down by crashing waves. They should know that the smart thing to do is stay in deeper water until there is a lull.
They don't even know the meaning of a "red flag." Sometimes they allow people in the sea when the red flag is flying and on other days they don't.
You wrote "Go ahead Cartman take your chances at Arena or anywhere else you think you are bigger and better than." Is English your second language?"

Offline Dolly Diver

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019 »
OK enough...............

As a diving instructor here in Los Gigantes for the past 30 years and out at sea most days, my advise is to listen to the lifeguard.  The authorities do keep track of the weather forecast and if they inform the lifeguards not to allow swimming then it is for a very good reason, generally a swell is forecast (high waves) which are very unpredictable.  We too also keep an eye on this forecast and often over the winter months we  have to cancel diving and snorkel trips for the safety of our clients.

In my earlier post in this string I said the beach at Los Gigantes was open.  This week it has closed for the planned work.  I do not know for how long put I will post news and photos of the progress

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019 »
Thank goodness for that Dolly.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019 »
Has anyone actually been in the sea or the pool

It's freezing xx

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2019 »
Beach well and truly closed! It is a joke here, Masca still shut after 2 years! Now beach and road works. Why is everything so slow here!
Tourists are not stupid, they will not return. I tell people to go to San Juan now.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2019 »
Yes, we've booked to go to Puerto de la Cruz.

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2019 »
SandyLea, Hope your not going to Puerto de la Cruz for the beaches?

Offline blarer

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2019 »
Why not ? what's wrong with Playa Jardin ? and there's also the big lido.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2019 »
We are actually going because we prefer the scenery up north and the more authentic food. Closer too to new places to visit, la oratava, garrachico etc.

Offline blarer

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2019 »
Put La Laguna on your " places to visit " list. Easy to get to to, express bus from Puerto de la Cruz.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2019 »
Oh yes we will. Thank you.