Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Old Times  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Mary

Old Times
« on: August 25, 2018 »
Advertisement
We were chatting last night with friends who have been with us to LG many times over the years, and the conversation came round to Bertie Wooster cave. We often used to go there for drinks and the BBQ and sometimes didnít roll in until very late. I suppose it was of itís time but great fun nonetheless, prob would have elf and safety screaming now but no probs then.

Offline linda

Re: Old Times
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018 »
Remember it well also was great when very warm.

Offline Davymar

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018 »
Bertie Woosters cave, that takes me back some time! along with Marks carvery and Archies bistro, gone but not forgotten :)

Offline Mary

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018 »
Yes remember Marks carvery, think he also had a fishing boat called Feo that he took fishing trips on,hubby used to go out on it. Arches was also really busy and good value for money, thatís where we first got to know Jason from Charlieís.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018 »
Also Paddy 1, no food but it used to get packed every night, before Marcos went upmarket & opened No 2 & 3.

We used to take our late son when he was a teenager he loved it, we used to do the Quiz, won a few times,
to see the Whales & Dolphins, happy memories.

Offline susieq22

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018 »
Of course remember Bertie Wooster went with Barbara who later had archers with Garry xx

Offline peridot

• Old Hand
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018 »
Ah yes - Bertie Wooster used to have a notice inside about not feeding the cockroaches cigarette ends!  He used to broadcast on local radio station.  Cannot remember the guy who did The Sunday morning slot but one week the station was silent  - he was playing records but had forgotten to switch transmitter on!  Happy days!

Offline gladys

• Old Hand
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018 »
Was that Geordie Fred ?

Offline blarer

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018 »
Joanne Love swinging from the beams at TJ's, when the Green Corner was going strong, happy hour at the Oasis, and the folk nights with the Gaffers ( especially when it was held at Tajinaste at La Caldera, dodging the police drink/drive road blocks at La Caldera and El Varedero ). Happy times.

Offline blarer

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018 »
and the early days of Power FM, Bob Preston, Theresa ( The White Queen ) Willson, and Juan the Man.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018 »
I knew I would be found out

My memories are the Chinese  lady selling tickets for the yellow motor boats and the restaurant by the beach

Offline janey

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018 »
I knew I would be found out

My memories are the Chinese  lady selling tickets for the yellow motor boats and the restaurant by the beach

Betty was Canadian and she owned the boat.  i think she was of Malayan descent.

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018 »
Betty was from Chicago.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018 »
Where ever she come from she was very friendly and always smiling

Here fella once let him drive the boat back and he never forget that

Only for a few minutes though 

Offline Georgie

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018 »
What about the turtles in alcala and the sting ray in the harbour

Not seen them for years 

Wile E Coyote

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018 »
This is getting to be like an episode of "ķltimo del vino del verano" 😉
We are merely 2 weeks a year grockles but we've got a few more to add to the list -
The no-man's land between Santiago (where we were staying in 1986) and the village, a round trip we did most days, to visit the only "supermarket". The shop where you were lucky to get fresh milk and the molde pan was sometimes spelled with a u and a y 😕
The timeshare touts (ironically, we bought one...a timeshare, not a tout 😉).
The Galleon pub.
The nightclub.
Sinatra's.
JAMA rent-a-car.
The Chinese restaurant behind the hotel.
The cheeky-chappie in Paraiso del Sol who took great delight in glueing a coin onto the pavement opposite and Jaime the head waiter.

Offline blarer

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018 »
and the bus stop outside the Tamara restaurant. Hard to believe now that the buses came that far into Los Gigantes.

Offline galeus

• regular contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018 »
You know ,I've got it in my head that their was a bar near the Oasis called 'Robinson Crusoes Cave' but is this the same place as 'Bertie Woosters cave', have I remembered this wrong?

Offline gladys

• Old Hand
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018 »
Picked a Jama car up from the airport after booking it with the lovely Denise, ate at Sinatras then went to Whispers for a night cap and fancied  Jaime the head waiter from Paraiso. Happy days.

Offline Mary

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018 »
Yes this was Bertie Wooster, galeus it was always a really good evening. We spent ages there back in the day and had many a laugh, he was quite a character but he always remembered us year after year (shudder to think why😜) it was around that time that we fell in love with LG and have been coming out two or three times a year since.