Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Los gigantes hotel closure.  (Read 6140 times)

Offline linda

Los gigantes hotel closure.
« on: July 25, 2018 »
Advertisement
Just to let people know the hotel Los gigantes will be closed from 1 aug till 1 November this having to find alternative hotels.

Offline Mary

Re: Los gigantes hotel closure.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018 »
Saw this on Facebook, people have only just been told about it by Tui and they are up in arms. Heard it was to do with a kitchen refurb, goodness knows where they are going to put people as not enough room I would think around LG. Many are traveling this weekend, so it sounds more as if there is an unexpected occurrence at the hotel to me.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018 »
Surely this cannot happen without advance warning

It is not fair at all

Offline unhappy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018 »
Why should anybody be surprised holiday companies along with airlines are the worst people in the world for treating customers like dirt.

My wife was in the tourist industry for over 30 years and could never understand how these companies got away with murder.

Just what the Canarian Government wanted, an Island filled with hotels which could not careless about its clients. 

Offline linda

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018 »
It was not planned it's a structural problem that needs hotel to close to rectify.

markmac

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018 »
Hi all, my wife and i are due to stay at the Los Gigantes Hotel next weekend 5th august for 2 weeks and i would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention  as NOBODY FROM TUI has made contact about this at all.Having now forced the issue with my local TUI agency they say that they are trying to place people in other hotels in the area bearing in mind this is the busiest 2 weeks of the holiday season this will be no easy task.I am not convinced that we will be placed any where near LG so have made it clear that anything less than the standard we expected ie adults only,half board and sensimar will be unacceptable and afull refund will be required.Thoroughly p....sed off today

Offline unhappy

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018 »
markmac, I do not think you will be staying in the area I could be wrong but from memory there are no other adult hotels here.

Offline linda

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018 »
In LG don't think so the gran Melissa alcala has adults only floors I believe.

markmac

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018 »
It seems that a few people due out this weekend are being offered accomodation at Hovima in Costa Adeje,and all seem to be rejecting it too!

chrisw99

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018 »
What kind of effect is this going to have on LG in general during this period?   We are coming out 10th August  (luckily not at the hotel), is this going to turn the town into a ghost town or is the number of people staying at the hotel just a fraction of the people out and about in the evenings?

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018 »
Wed booked for December but can't risk it still being closed so have changed our booking to our favourite hotel in Cyprus. TUI treat their customers with such disrespect and disdain. When I rang, I got a call centre in India and the person could barely speak English. After much investigation, I found another number and eventually spoke to a call centre in Wales to change our booking. LG will be dead while the hotel is closed and many other businesses will suffer.

Does anyone know why there was not a good notice period to customers of this closure?

Offline Mary

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018 »
See Linda’s comments above

markmac

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018 »
Hi all, we got TUI to do us a bit of a deal on the Sandos son Blas at Golf del sur , its not adults only but does have adult only pool and restaurant.It is 5 star and all inclusive so looking forward to getting there now! Will get hire car and pay lovely old LG a visit or three though.All the best.

Offline blarer

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018 »
Latest from TUI, but not in the public domain, is that hotel is shut until at least November because of structural problems.

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018 »
If it is the same structural problems that other buildings have suffered around LG it will be longer than that.
It is where the steel reinforcement has rusted and blown the concrete that surrounds it. Means replacing or repairing (if possible) all the columns.

gaz

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018 »
I know it is sad for those people who were booked in and also for the staff but these all inclusive hotels do nothing for the area , we would have more local bars and restaurants if no all inclusive hotels were allowed. I always feel sad for those people walking round with bands on their wrists because they are missing so much, also all the money collected by big businesses who own these hotels is being taken out of Tenerife at least local bars and restaurants keep the money local and they also better value.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018 »
gaz, that is not what the Government want that's why under pressure from the hotel group Ashotel following the 2008 crisis they fined thousands of apt & villa owners, that is why there is a shortage of Tourist rental properties.The fine now for a second offence is a minimum of €30,000.00.

But don't worry the Government & the new Tourist Minister have come up with a new plan, now all those people who purchased properties in Residential Complexes could now have holiday makers who are only there for 1 or 2 weeks next door to them & we all know, not all of them respect other people.

As for Tourist complexes they are still going to retain the crazy sole agent system these are people who don't own your property but if you want to rent it, rip you off with their commision & then tell you how long you can have your property for your family & friends usually for only one month a year.

As for the LG Hotel pity when they did the referb not that long ago, they did not find this problem then, they could have knocked it down & built a much better eye pleasing up market new hotel not AI of course. 

Offline blarer

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018 »
Pilgrim, those were exactly my thoughts. If it is that it'll be a long term repair job,

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018 »
The Los gigantes hotel is not all inclusive.  If only offers half or full board.

markmac

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018 »
It might be more beneficial to level it and rebuild,using 21st century techniques and materials.Got to feel sorry for local businesses who will suffer from its closure, TJ,s is right on the doorstep for goodness sake!

Offline unhappy

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018 »
We were out with friends yesterday who are still in the Travel Industry, it would appear that Tui are gaining   
a very poor reputation in customer care, in other words once they have your booking & money they could not care less, also Thomas Cook are not far behind them.

As they said, both are German companies who control the market.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018 »
Hotel closed. Guests shipped out to Hovima, a down market alternative. Poor customers' experiences of shocking treatment by TUI on Trip Advisor. Glad we've changed our booking to Cyprus. I feel sorry for all the business owners in LG who will have lots less customers over the next few months. A shambles all round.

Offline blarer

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018 »
I understand it could get worse for Los Gigantes. New drainage is being installed starting at Varadero and working it's way to Los Gigantes. It's already caused traffic diversions in the Playa de la Arena/Puerto de Santiago area. When it reaches Los Gigantes it could make traffic access there very difficult if not impossible, so businesses will suffer yet again. 

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018 »
Let's hope they route the sewage discharge pipe further out to sea this time. It may keep the fish happy, but doesn't do much good for us when there is a south westerly wind.

Wile E Coyote

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018 »
"We cross the 'T's', dot the 'I's' and put 'U' in an impossible position and a really, really bad mood."

Anyone remember a similar happening at the Royal Sun?
As previously noted, many of the guests don't use the bars and restaurants as they have them already, maybe going as far as the ones just in front.
Is there a restriction on the height of new/re builds?

Offline linda

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018 »
Yes there is a height restrictions. Royal sun shut years ago due to finances but it's great now.hotel is structural.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018 »
Silly question from me

When you buy a property in los gigantes is there a structural survey undertaken

Offline unhappy

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018 »
To answer your question NO & I think most people who purchase do not obtain one. If it is a new build they have a builder's warranty like the UK but I think these days with many developers going bust I would get one

We were interested in buying a Penthouse in the village a few years ago but as it was an old build we did get a  independent survey carried out

Offline Dolly Diver

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018 »
I have been told by someone who works at the hotel that it is hoped that the hotel will only be closed for 1 month, not 3 months that was first planned.

I have some clients due to stay in the Los Gigantes Hotel mid August, they have been offered Adeje as there is nothing available in this area.  They are not happy as they booked months ago, but they have accepted.  They now have to hire a car to get to Los Gigantes!!!

Offline unhappy

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2018 »
If your clients are not happy with the alternative, make sure they take as many photos & contact other guests, also any out of pocket expenses, keep all receipts & inform the hotel in writing that it is not what they had booked.

Ammo for when they return home if they wish to claim, hope this helps.