Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Insulin  (Read 1466 times)

boadicea

Insulin
« on: April 10, 2018 »
Advertisement
Is there anyone who is diabetic and spends the winter in Tenerife who could tell me how they manage with insulin? Do you take up to 4 month's supply with you from the UK, or can you get supplies easily there? If so, does it have to be paid for even if you are a pensioner? Any advice would be most welcome.

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
Re: Insulin
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018 »
You should register with the Medical Centre at Vigilia Park then make an apointment to see a doctor there.  You will need your passport and your NIE certificate with copies of each.  Take a copy of your UK prescription and show it to the doctor who will give you a Spanish prescription which you can the have filled at any pharmacy.  All this is free. 

My wife can only get a 3 month prescription in the UK on the NHS due to local trust restrictions, although she could get a private prescription for longer and pay (in the UK) for the medication she has.  It helps if you can take a translator with you to the doctor, or at least write a note in Spanish stating what you need.  The doctors do usually speak good English but avoid doing so for legal reasons. 

You could alternatively go to the private medical centre opposite the perfume shop in Playa Arena who will write a prescription for 50 euros but you may then have to pay for this to be filled at the pharmacy.  Best to register with the Spanish health care system for a long term solution.

Hope this helps.

ANGIE

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018 »
Adding to Tanemara’s post, you also need your EHIC card

Offline unhappy

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018 »
Won't the reciprocal health care stop when we leave the EU.

ANGIE

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018 »
Won't the reciprocal health care stop when we leave the EU.

As far as I am aware nothing has been decided yet about this subject?

Offline VictorM

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018 »
Tanemara - I think anyone who obtains a prescription from a Social Security  doctor will have to pay, and then reclaim from the NHS when back in the UK.  Pensioners resident in Spain, Spanish, Brits or whatever, have to pay a charge at the farmacia. Usually 10% of the charge on the electronic prescription  The only exclusions are those who really need help, unlike many pensioners in the UK.

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018 »
Victor M - it is a few years since we went through this process but we did not pay anything, either to the doctor or the pharmacy.  In fact, we went to the pharmacy on the hill down to Puerto Santiago, before we registered at the Health Centre, and asked for the medication prescribed by our UK doctor.  They were happy to let us have it for the sum of €120 but suggested we register with the Health Centre and come back with a prescription, which is what we did.  The pharmacist even offered to let us have the medication and pay for it and promised to refund the cost when we had registered and obtained the prescription.  How helpful is that?

ANGIE

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018 »
I have just gone through exactly the same experience as Tanemara with the same incredibly helpful pharmacy. Even when the details on the prscription were wrong from the health centre in P.S. twice, they phoned them and obtained the information needed. I cannot givr anything but praise for the ladies who work in there.