Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Los Gigantes.com?  (Read 2804 times)

Offline AWOL

• Old Hand
Los Gigantes.com?
« on: March 15, 2018 »
Advertisement
Out of interest what are peoples perception of this site?

Going on from the recent debacle about you know who!!! I have always presumed that the main intention of the site is to be a central point of contact and an information platform for people to get to know about LG and the area.

I have just had a look at the home page and found this statistic     # 23892 Posts in 4045 Topics by 281 Members #.

I find it interesting that out of 281 members so few actually post and offer advice. I know that people come and go but it seems most visitors are quite happy to take but not give. Maybe visitors should take the trouble to "give" as it serves as a means of updating information on a constant basis or am I wrong in my assumption?

AWOL

Offline gladys

• Old Hand
Re: Los Gigantes.com?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018 »
Maybe I'm wrong here but people including myself could be a little wary of posting because of the backlash from some contributors .I thought some of the posts from you know who were quite relevant to people new to the area looking for information. Not everyone has been coming to LG for years and years and trivial info can be quite useful. No one wants to post and be subjected to vitriolic comments as has happened recently.

Offline AWOL

• Old Hand
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018 »
gladys

Sort of agree and I would not aim/want to "put people off" but my point is this........hence my original post.....

People ask a question about, say a restaurant and fellow posters offer advice or comment and the person says thanks I will try it and let you know when I come out in December (or whenever) and then nothing!!!

No update on the original question so visitors are non the wiser.

People very often look at the site and instead of coming in and asking "do a search".

So if people take the trouble to interact any answers and updates on a particular question will automatically be an upto date....... if you see what I mean.

Its got to be a two traffic to keep the site worthwhile and current.

AWOL

Offline Mary

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018 »
My views on Georgie have been aired before and I still am of the opinion that he/she was an invention of a board member, who liked a wind up and I have my own opinion who it was.

This forum has always been a good source of local information although as people have become more internet savvy, they use Google much more and do their own research, but there is still a use for recommendations from frequent visitors.
I have found board members to be very helpful and eager to give a reply and can see no reason why anyone would be put off posting.

The problems arose in my opinion not so much by the endless questions, often repeated over and over, but by the sheer volume which members who have been using this site for years and years have yet to achieve.
In short it was turning into Georgia’s board, and it was very noticeable that fewer and fewer members were even bothering to reply.
Yes sometimes the comments were a bit harsh but considering the relentless onslaught, I was surprised it didn’t get worse as people were getting frustrated.
On the plus side the board had more posts, but sometimes less can be more.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018 by Mary »

ANGIE

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018 »
My views on Georgie have been aired before and I still am of the opinion that he/she was an invention of a board member, who liked a wind up and I have my own opinion who it was.

This forum has always been a good source of local information although as people have become more internet savvy, they use Google much more and do their own research, but there is still a use for recommendations from frequent visitors.
I have found board members to be very helpful and eager to give a reply and can see no reason why anyone would be put off posting.

The problems arose in my opinion not so much by the endless questions, often repeated over and over, but by the sheer volume which members who have been using this site for years and years have yet to achieve.
In short it was turning into Georgia’s board, and it was very noticeable that fewer and fewer members were even bothering to reply.
Yes sometimes the comments were a bit harsh but considering the relentless onslaught, I was surprised it didn’t get worse as people were getting frustrated.
On the plus side the board had more posts, but sometimes less can be more.

I totally agree with everything Mary has said above. This is a very useful site, but was being malused by one individual, causing frustration amongst those who are genuinely looking for/commenting on topics and information.

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018 »
Have to be honest and say I agree with Gladys and Awol, I've been slated for getting supermarket names wrong during "blonde moments" etc. Only having the fortune to manage out once a year you do forget things at times.

Offline losgiganteskid

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018 »

I find it interesting that out of 281 members so few actually post

Here's another ponderable  - of the 281 forum "members" 25% of them have never posted a single word.

Given that anyone can look at the forum without registering - why would circa 25% actually go to the trouble of signing themselves in as members, giving themselves a "stage name" , and then not post a single word ??........................answers on a postcard please before closing date - postcards received after the closing date will not be counted but may still be charged !
I wanted to be the Cincinnati Kid - but couldn't spell it

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018 »
I agree with Gladys and lesleygee. I've often asked questions and have either been ignored or the reply is a bit snipey donut puts you off. Some people on here don't seem very friendly and that's a shame.

Holidaymakers tend to get treated with derision by some members who live in lg. 

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018 »
Donut!! Should be....and it puts you off.

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018 »
Where are you Georgie, we miss you, I do the same as you, come in after a I am an idiot day at work, sign into the forum and dream of holidays.  ;D

Offline blarer

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018 »
This web site lost it’s credibility years ago, when the moderators lost interest in it. What we’ve ended up with is the likes of Georgie asking the same questions time after time after time.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018 »
I agree with the general consensus, Georgie was becoming a pain, considering he/she had holidayed for the last 15 years in LG it appears by their posts that they never set foot outside the Hotel or Rental they were staying in.
As for people not posting because of being attacked, I think because of my post name a few posters have had a go at me, to me its water off a duck's back and if you dont post and ask you will never find out and if people are unfair about your questions some of us here will soon let them know.

KEEP POSTING   

Offline janey

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018 »
bet georgie or whomever he/she really is, is delighted now he has his own thread.

Offline Mary

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018 »
If you post on a message board then there will inevitably be a cross section of people reading it, and some will disagree and some won’t, some may be polite about the fact they disagree and again some won’t.
We are all adults and if you get upset because not everyone likes what you are saying then a site like this isn’t the place for you.

Offline gladys

• Old Hand
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018 »
It's not the fact that people don't like what is said , it is the way it is said. As you say, we are all adults and yes it is a discussion board but that does not give people the right to be downright offensive.

Offline AWOL

• Old Hand
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018 »
Thanks so far.

Interesting comments made.

I get the impression that someone "owns" the site but is no longer involved in policing it so we should behave ourselves when posting (and treat others as we would expect others to treat us). Dolly Driver seems to have some control over the site. Who is she then?

Just interested thats all.

Offline Mary

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018 »
Gladys I agree with you and I had quite a vitriolic attack after a post regarding a local restaurant, the person involved apologised and I accepted. It didn’t make me scared to post again and nor should anyone be wary of voicing an opinion.
Some  people are offensive or blunt in “real life” and therefore will be on here, with the bonus of annonimity.
The poster who pushed people’s buttons knew from the off exactly what they were doing, in anyone’s book it was excessive, repetitive and always a question, never in over five hundred posts was there any feed back from their own so called trips to LG and their opinions of what they thought or suggestions for places to go.

javars

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018 »
Yes Georgie asked lots of questions, mostly of a similar subject, however if you choose to reply that's your (collectively) decision, the best thing would have been to not get drawn in and move on.
Without the 100% knowledge that Georgie was indeed a made up character then any replies laced with vitriol should have been avoided.
Maybe Georgie suffers with a condition that affects certain social behaviours and some of the actions of members could be construed as bullying.
After all most of visit or live Los Gigantes because we love the place.
I'm not suggesting that I'm right, I could be wrong (and often am)  ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018 by javars »

Offline magsnmike

• Old Hand
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018 »
In my opinion, this is not a normal forum. In other forums I am attached to there are thousands of people that are adding their comments and opinions on sometimes a second by second moment.  Here of LosGigantes.com we are a small forum. Precious in our love of Los Gigantes and its surrounding areas. I feel that in turn that this reflects the responses on the forum.