Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Car hire  (Read 2046 times)

Coldandtired

Car hire
« on: February 16, 2018 »
Advertisement
Where do people recommend for car hire currently? Tried to look at Santiago rentacar but it comes up as account suspended?

Offline SandyLea

Re: Car hire
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018 »
Also who does automatics for hire?

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018 »
Autoreisen car hire based at Tenerife South airport are what we use, cars cheep and I do believe they do automatics.

Offline Davymar

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018 »
We are hiring a car this year from the airport, i tend to use autoreisen or Cicar, i have my own collision damage insurance because i hire quite a few cars yearly. however, the hassle you get from other hire companies to sell you insurance can be a pain, autoreisen and Cicars are fully insured with no rip off sting in the tail, thats why we use them, there is an office in Puerto Santiago.

Offline AWOL

• Old Hand
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018 »
Have used others but personally now only use Cicar (last 4 years). Register online and fill in details and book. We always book for 3 days (min) on arrival an Automatic Seat etc collect at TFS and return to Office locally at PS. 105 approx tank to tank. Sign form at TFS and go. No hassle no extras no nothing including extra driver. If you damage it just tell them no problem.

5 star service and clean and tidy cars all fairly new.

Slam dunk as they say.

AWOL

Offline cs

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018 »
completely agree with AWOL, we have tried others but Cicar are are our company of choice, they are only a few euros more than the cheapest and their cars are much better 

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018 »
Yes, we will probably use cicar then awol if as you say they do automatic cars. We had looked in their shop in Puerto Santiago but it always seemed closed over the Christmas period but I suppose I'll order online beforehand then and collect at airport when we land. Can you stipulate automatic on the online form? I'm used to driving in Cyprus as they drive on the left but as Tenerife drive on the right, dont think I'd cope with changing gear with the other hand, that's why I'd really want an automatic and all the hire cars we had seen seemed to be gearstick ones.

Offline AWOL

• Old Hand
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018 »
Once you have registered just go to their website and follow the process. Automatic cars will show up. Take your pick or look before hand. Easy peasy.

You pay on arrival. They may charge a fuel deposit but we always take back as collected and get a refund no hassle.

AWOL

Just take care on roundabouts😈

Offline pilgrim

• Looking forward to better times
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018 »
The locals do not understand a roundabout, they will cross it to go straight ahead at full blast or take a turning off without signal, as if it is a crossroads. Anyone on said rotary is invisible to them.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018 »
 Thank you AWOL and pilgrim too for the roundabout warning

ANGIE

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018 »
Am i right in thinking that there is a different protocol for approaching islands here to in England? Seems to be that if you intrnd turning left leaving an island, you stay in OUTSIDE lane all the way round? Straight on, OUTSIDE lane too and only use inside lane for driving round the whole island and going back on yourself or disappearing up the proverbial???

Offline unhappy

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018 »
Angie, I think you mean turning right & yes they seem to make up the rules as they go along, but generally to leave any road on an Island you stay in the outside lane.

A word of warning do not expect them to indicate anywhere and not being a MSP, but in my experience the women hate stopping at a zebra crossings.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018 »
I have never been bothered in hiring a car

Taxis and buses are fine to get around

Especially if you like a few beers during the flight and at lunchtime if we are visiting certain areas

Also the motorway from the airport and return to los gigantes is like a race track

How far does the motorway now go

Does it pass alcala now

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018 »
Pedestrian crossings are just a suggestion for a safe place to cross.  Locals drivers frequently don't bother.  Also, if you are driving and stop for a pedestrian, a friendly wave of acknowledgement is rare.

Offline cs

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018 »
The motorway goes to Santiago del Teide now

Offline Georgie

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018 »
Thanks cs

That must mean at least 20 minutes off the journey time surely