Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Walking Groups  (Read 3457 times)

Loben

Walking Groups
« on: January 13, 2018 »
Advertisement
Does anyone know of any social or walking groups in Los Gigantes ? Thank you

Offline Davymar

Re: Walking Groups
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018 »
There used to be a German (I think) gentleman that organised walks, you met at the main bus stop near Typsy terrace, I am not sure if he still does it, or indeed if he is still alive, possibly someone local will know more.

Offline Mary

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018 »
Are you thinking of Hans, Davymar? Am almost sure he passed away three o more years ago. Not heard of anything since.

Dolly

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018 »
What do people do in the village? Other than drink at bars. I have tried to find Spanish lessons, walking groups, art groups - nada!

Offline Davymar

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018 »
Are you thinking of Hans, Davymar? Am almost sure he passed away three o more years ago. Not heard of anything since.

Yes that was the man, sorry to hear he passed away, thanks for the update Mary.

Offline VictorM

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018 »
Dolly - the Ayuntamiento office in Playa de la Arena may be able to give you details of language lessons and walking tours.  There is an art group that meet in the premises of the former Ogui har salon - entrance from the small plaza behind Las Flores supermercado.

Offline blarer

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018 »
Gladys in the tourist office at Playa de la Arena will probably be able to sort something out for. I prefer the tourist office in Playa de la Arena to the one in Los Gigantes, seem to be more aware about what's going on locally.

Offline galeus

• regular contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018 »
My wife goes to the craft club every Tuesday 1400 hrs at the Santiago Sporting club.
The choir that practices at the Harbour Club 1530  hrs  Mondays (advert in 'The Tea Room' window).
As far as I know , not checked recently, their is a Spanish language class in the Olivia Sunset building, ground floor in Puerto Santiago.
Their is a 'Ladies' club meets up at 1130 on Fridays at Fettucinis (next to Chicken Shack) which I think is open to newcomers.
Hope this helps.

Offline will

• regular contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018 »
There was an art class  in the square in front of the church next to the old Louis's bar.I believe it is now upstairs above the supermarket opposite the hotel.

Offline VictorM

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018 »
Will , it's above the Ogui hair salon, entrance from the small plaza behind Las Flores supermercado

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018 »
You could start a walking group, Loben.  Maybe this message board could be used to recruit members.  There are many well signposted walks in SW Tenerife and several excellent walking guide books.  The walk around Chinyero is a good walk to start on as it is a circular, well marked walk taking about 3 hours.

Dolly

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018 »
What is the route of the Chinero walk?

Stoutchap

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018 »
https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/circular-san-jose-de-los-llanos-volcan-del-chinyero-18328526

Not sure this will work but this is just one of the chinyero walks on wikiloc website.

Offline frogeddy

• Old Hand
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018 »
Thank you stoutchap ... gonna give it a go.

Offline AWOL

• Old Hand
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018 »
I do lots of hikes during my holiday periods on the plateau around Santiago. Its quite a hard walk around the volcano if you are not used to it or are fairly fit. Wear good hiking boots as the lava it tough and will damage normal boots. Take a snack water and a phone and enjoy.

I have followed this thread and in all honesty just catch a bus to the top and you can wonder around the area all day on marked tracks and get the bus back down later. There is a marked walk from the top all the way down and it comes out by the Police station/Delmar office at the top of LG and will take about 3 hrs via a pit stop in Tamaimo.

Awol

Stoutchap

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018 »
I am out last week of February with a friend.  We tend to do the coastal walks to Alcala and Playa San Juan but they get tedious and we do not hire a car.  If anyone is planning something more interesting and wants some company then please private message me on this site rather than use this thread

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018 »
The map referred to by Stoutchap shows the Chinyero walk I referred to previously.  Take the TF38 to Km15, which is waymarked at the side of the road and is at the bottom of the map on the U-bend.  (There are signs for Chinyero as you approach the area and also a viewing area marked with cobbles for a stretch of the road before Km 15).  There is an obvious, gated, track off to to the left of the road.  Go along this for a few hundred yards and you will come to a clearing with tracks going off to to the left and right.  Go straight ahead towards the weather station (looks like a bee hive) and you will intersect the official footpath.  Turn left or right on this and you will end up where you started after about 3 hours.  This circular route is well signposted, good underfoot and includes a couple of fairly steep climbs.

It is possible to park your car at the side of the road, but beware of the shrp drop resulting from the recent resurfacing.  (Why they closed the parking area at the other side of the gate is a mystery to us all.)

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018 »
I picked up a walking leaflet from Gladys at the Playa Arena Information Centre this morning.  Its title is "Teno Rural Park" and it has a map of several well marked walking routes in the Teno area.

Stoutchap

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018 »
That is helpful.  Imagine same available at LG Information Centre maybe?  If not I will do as you suggest on way through.  Do you know if it is easy to get to the walks by bus from LG?

Offline blarer

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018 »
Yes it is. The first 325 to Puerto de la Cruz is usually full of walkers out for the day. To work out the times of the 325 buses back reckon on half an hour from Puerto de la Cruz to Icod and another half hour from Icod to Santiago del Teide. If there's a few of you worth enquiring at the taxi rank for a price. Great walking country between Santiago del Teide and El Tanque. Personally I think the tourist office at Playa de la Arena is the better of the two. Gladys has been there for years and, she's always been very helpful. There's also some very nice walks at the back of Guia de Isora towards Chirche. Remember at this time of year to take some warm clothes and waterproofs, it can  get a bit nippy as you climb higher and get into low clouds. A lot of the printed walk guides that the tourists have will have a note of accessibility  by buses with a note of the number of the bus.

Offline blarer

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018 »
The Playa de la Arena tourist office is always my first port of call every year to get the latest TITSA timetable and to find out what's new in the area.

bernie

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018 »
I think Thomas is the guy's name who took over the walks Hans used to do. There are still lots of walking done in Masca as the little mini buses stop off in Tamaimo for supplies. If you take the time to look around and talk to people who have been here for a while you'll find there are plenty of activities, no need to get bored or just sit in bars drinking all day.