Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Getting expensive  (Read 38257 times)

Offline lesleygee

Re: Getting expensive
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2017 »
Advertisement
We actually go to mainland Spain every summer. The price of flights is the same as our flight to Tenerife. The cost of our apartment is double what we pay in Tenerife. I think the value and quality we get for our money in Tenerife is excellent, plus we love the people and the area, as I said previously we will always return, it is our haven, no matter how much it costs, as Magsnmike stated it is much cheaper than back home.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2017 »
LucyW, good owners will because they will get repeat bookings. Instead of the draconian action the Government took which in most cases cost them money, they employed Inspectors at a cost, most of the fines they have had to give back and the legal costs in the courts.

What they should have done without the pressure from Ashotel, was any owner that wanted to rent their property they had to pay a registration/ licence fee say 1000.00 for an apartment 2500.00 for a villa per year, this would then pay for the Inspectors who could visit any legal property, if that property was not of the required standard they would lose their licence and never be able to get it back.

Not only would this keep the properties to the standard the Government are seeking for Tenerife it would increase the volume of tourists thus increasing the amount of money spent here and also increase the tax revenue, because if you are licensed you would need to pay tax. This would not increase the cost of renting as there would be a lot more properties on the market.

This also would do away with the need to have the blood sucking sole agent system, the Government then would be in a win win situation more visitors, more revenue. 

Offline Georgie

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2017 »
I agree the food and drink is of high quality and very cheap

The return flights are cheap and living in essex we have the option of Southern luton and stanstead and to a lesser extent gat wick

It is just the quality and prices of the apartments

We always love pablado mariero which is cheap but when over in December after 12 odd years in these apartments finally decided they were to old and the up keep not really good for what is the best view and location in los gigantes

We travel to other countries during the year but this village is my favourite and we have made some friends also

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2017 »
You are right Georgie, the quality of apartments is not good. And, Turkey is as safe as London, Paris, Brussels, anywhere really.

Offline LucyW

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2017 »
Unhappy - I take your point but there are two ways you can look at this. I have been resident in LG for a good number of years and know a lot of owners who let out their apartments. Almost without exception they say they will no longer let if they have to be licenced,and everything that goes with it. A lot of these people use their apartments for maybe 4/5 months of the year and then rent out 'under the radar' just to cover their annual expenses. The effect of this scenario would be an increase of folk wanting to rent a reduced number of available apartments, which would result in higher prices. A licenced scheme, with the costs involved, would certainly help raise the standards of the apartments,which would be good for the tourists, but would only be attractive to the owners who seriously 'buy to let' and not the majority of owners who have owned for a long time.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017 by LucyW »

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Gods Work
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2017 »
Georgie - after all these months of your inane comments and subjects, seams you have finally hit the "jackpot" with this one. Now on to third screen!  Well Done

Offline amibovvered

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2017 »
LucyW, good owners will because they will get repeat bookings. Instead of the draconian action the Government took which in most cases cost them money, they employed Inspectors at a cost, most of the fines they have had to give back and the legal costs in the courts.

What they should have done without the pressure from Ashotel, was any owner that wanted to rent their property they had to pay a registration/ licence fee say 1000.00 for an apartment 2500.00 for a villa per year, this would then pay for the Inspectors who could visit any legal property, if that property was not of the required standard they would lose their licence and never be able to get it back.

Not only would this keep the properties to the standard the Government are seeking for Tenerife it would increase the volume of tourists thus increasing the amount of money spent here and also increase the tax revenue, because if you are licensed you would need to pay tax. This would not increase the cost of renting as there would be a lot more properties on the market.

This also would do away with the need to have the blood sucking sole agent system, the Government then would be in a win win situation more visitors, more revenue.

Well said @unhappy

I have criticised @unhappy before for his seemingly "glass half full" comments on a number of topics but in this case his propsals make very good sense and would , I am sure, encourage good owners.  However, as @LucyW has indicated there are dozens , if not hundreds of owners living "under the radar", as she puts it, and appears to condone.  Maybe the inspectors who were previously employed chasing people like @unhappy could be employed more gainfully chasing the tax dodgers......but that's another can of worms.  8) 8)

Offline Georgie

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2017 »
Thanks pilgrim

I have learnt my lesson

Post before you have a drink at night

Offline unhappy

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2017 »
LucyW, that is my whole point they are letting illegally and believe me the Inspectors are still active. They might change their minds when they are fined thousands of euros, a great deal more money than they are receiving to cover their annual expenses.

Offline gaz

• regular contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2017 »
LucyW I am not naive I am just stating facts under EU anti competition rules the Canarian government can not prevent people renting out their apartments to protect the hoteliers and even now if you look up Airbnb you will see plenty of apartments,rooms and even campervans  to rent in various parts of Tenerife at quite good rates.

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2017 »
gaz, technically we are not in the EEC, example duty free allowances. Just asking.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2017 »
Just looked at air Bnb and wow there are lots of options

Thanks for this

My sons have used this in Europe and are very impressed

Perhaps next year I will try them

Another silly question without any experience or a beer

Are they regulated to rent as per previous posts

Offline gaz

• regular contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2017 »
Edward Bear Technically it is the EU not EEC and secondly Tenerife is in the EU, it and the rest of the Canaries were given special dispensation to allow them remain duty free ,as without tourism there is no other industry to sustain the islands economically, which would lead to mass emigration.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2017 »
Just watched  a programme called a place in the sun on uk tv and they were showing the gold bronze looking apartments in Puerto santiago just by cardiac steps and opposite the road to the Barcelo hotel

They were mentioning be careful without a tourist licence you will get find and the authorities were out looking

Just in case

But I still cannot understand why there are plenty of apts on air bnb

If you rent and they knocked on your door would the holiday maker get fined

Offline janey

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2017 »
Just watched  a programme called a place in the sun on uk tv and they were showing the gold bronze looking apartments in Puerto santiago just by cardiac steps and opposite the road to the Barcelo hotel

that episode was filmed about 5 years ago.  got to be one of the worst programs to be made. 

Offline Georgie

« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2017 »
I have pre booked 2 visits and am worried about the exchange rates and inflation issues

Is it better to go full board and not worry

Offline gaz

• regular contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2017 »
Just a quick update, the Canarian Government has had a third judgement against them regarding private lets. All information on Janet Anscombe site.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2017 »
With the exchange rate the way it is booking in advance for cheap holidays is a must

Also any restaurants with good set menu deals or bars in los gigantes doing drink offers will always help

Has anyone seen this or not concerned

Not out for a few weeks and was wordering if anyone has feedback for the tourists and me

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2017 »
georgie, if you can't afford it don't do it.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2017 »
At the moment the tourist trade is booming in Tenerife I know of one complex that the developer has purchased 8 properties back from outright owners including my own.

In the last month besides the developer, I have had 2 private buyers making offers & 2 estate agents trying to view my apartment, also an estate agent from Germany calling me at home in the UK saying he had loads of buyers because of the strength of the Euro wishing to purchase.

I can see the rental rates for legal properties only going up & up.

Offline gaz

• regular contributor
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2017 »
Georgie sometimes it is good to get out of LG for good value try Juanitos in Puerto Santiago cheap and cheerful or La Barrica in Cuelvo de Polvo where because of portion sizes 2 people could share 1 pork chop and wine quite good quality and value, then pop into Bar Berto for cheap drink. Think there must be plenty of value to be had in general area and it would be great if people let us know best places.

suzy975

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2017 »
I'm a travel agent and have noticed prices have gone up sooooooooo much for everywhere for next year :( defo think the exchange rate has a lot to do with it but the holiday I have booked for next summer has already gone up by 600 for a family of four within 6 weeks !! heres hoping prices will come back down again

Offline Georgie

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2017 »
I have looked at next year around the time we usually go and on average it is around 220 pounds more expensive

With inflation just very low why is this

Is it the price of plane fuel

Offline gaz

• regular contributor
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2017 »
Another reason for rise in prices is the terrorist attacks throughout europe and people feel spain and its islands are a safer bet so hotels and airlines have raised prices

Offline Georgie

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2017 »
I was wondering what the local euro sterling rate was please

Offline AWOL

• Old Hand
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2017 »

Offline AWOL

• Old Hand
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2017 »
Just seen 1.0950 in Playa Arena who normally mirror Jesus in LG

Offline Davymar

• Old Hand
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2017 »
The exchange rate in Lanzarote today is 1.13 no commission.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2017 »
Davymar

We are there in 2 weeks time and stay by the marina rubicon in playa blanca

Where are you

Offline Davymar

• Old Hand
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2017 »
Georgie, we have been staying in Puerto del Carmen, but in the old part, right in front of the entrance to the harbour, nice and quiet, suits us.
We have been to Rubicon today, the last time we visited it was being built! it is very nice and it is somewhere where we would be happy to stay, they have managed to make a good non tacky job of it. which is more than we can say for the mass tourism that has enveloped the island, anyone who wears black socks and sandals, union jack shorts, plus a jjb sports vivid top would fit in well, a scantily clad 18 stone tattood woman would gain bonus points!  compared to los gigs it was a shock ;D