Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Getting expensive  (Read 38263 times)

Offline magsnmike

• Old Hand
Re: Getting expensive
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017 »
Advertisement
We stayed at ElSombrero at Easter.  WIFI is 30 euros for the week.  It is a bit hit and miss.  They also charge if you want to hire a television, not sure of the cost as we do not bother with a t.v. whilst away.  HP has probably got the best connection in the village.   

Offline el presidente

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017 »
Gaz,
I have been unable to find anything on this. Please elaborate!
"The Supreme Court in Madrid has dealt a blow to the hoteliers and is to allow private renting even the renting of a single room. So in near future more rooms and apartments will become available thus driving down prices".

Offline gaz

• regular contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017 »
If you get a copy of the Island Connections paper you will see it is front page headlines.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017 »
I have read the article also, it is on the front & second pages, it indicates that what the Canarian Government in league with the hotel association Ashotel acted illegally stopping private rentals.

It also states that Ashotel's agreement of 2015 is now also under review, let's hope now, that people who invested their savings in property are allowed the freedom to rent and also are not ripped off by the sole agents anymore.

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017 »
Here are the links to the article in Island Connections on 13 May, 2017.....

Page 1  http://pdf.islandconnections.eu/795/pdf/island_connections_001.pdf

Page 2  http://pdf.islandconnections.eu/795/pdf/island_connections_002.pdf

Offline Georgie

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017 »
Hopefully this will free up property rentals in lg so that there is more choice which in such a beautiful area lacks supply and turning myself off of buying because of the none return on investment

Offline losjack

• Old Hand
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017 »
If the whole business is illegal the owners who have been fined should get their money back.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017 »
Losjack that is wishful thinking considering how the law works over there.

Our complex had 8 owners fined 5 of them got their money back 3 of us including myself went into court on a different day with a stand in judge who knew nothing about the case and with no proof of any kind we were all found guilty, one owner was never even listed on the BOC.

It cost each of us over 4000.00 to fight this injustice, that was on top of the 13800.00 that each of us were fined.

Although our lawyer tried to persuade  the judge of his error he would not admit his mistake and because of the legal system, we were not allowed to appeal. (Justice I don't think so)

Should a miracle ever happen I will make some people happy and change my post name!!!

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Gods Work
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2017 »
So it has costed you 17800E, and that's that!

Offline unhappy

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2017 »
No it has cost the 3 of us 53400.00 if you think that,s nothing, perhaps you would like to send me a cheque and I can share it out between the 3 of us, you muppet. 

Offline Georgie

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2017 »
Sorry to interfere but is there no comback with the estate agent or selling agent

Seems terribly unfair and really sorry to hear this especially if you want to retire the last thing you need is aggrevation and so much expense

Is there no such thing as the fca

Is there not a regulatory ruling body that can help

In the uk we are being pushed to implement mifid2 which is a tight Europe regulation so there must be something

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Gods Work
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2017 »
No Unhappy, you have got me wrong! I am totally in shock for you. You said there was no appeal, even when the judge was clearly wrong. That is what I meant by "That's that then!"
You do jump to the wrong conclusion at times.
No offence or muppetry was ever intended.
It could quite easily have been me or one of my neighbours that was also fined!

Offline Georgie

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2017 »
Unhappy

I have looked at the web site for the financial ombudsman in the uk

Try writing to them

And sorry if you already have but go through the web site and try

It does cover European regulation and financial issues

Again worth a try and sorry if you have already tried

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2017 »
The crux of the matter - the law is an ass.  I have read on previous posts about the injustice you owners have suffered and I was also hoping that some form of recompense would come your way should this new ruling be upheld. But as you say unhappy it would cost you even more to seek justice.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017 »
Lesleyjee

What about the local politicians in the uk how many are in this trap

There is a vote coming up and how many are caught in this trap and also brexit

It's like not fair

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2017 »
Georgie,
I'm afraid you've lost me there. I was merely expressing my sympathy for all the owners who were previously penalised.  As for Brexit, that's another can of worms.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2017 »
Please accept my apologies Pilgrim, it is still very raw and unfair the 3 of us feel we have been robbed and treated as criminals. 

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2017 »
Getting  back to the "getting expensive" theme, we are currently at a 5* hotel all inclusive in Turkey. It has cost the two of us in total just over one thousand pounds for two weeks, flying from Gatwick. I dread to think what this sort of high end holiday would cost in Tenerife - probably nearer four thousand. Such a shame as actually we would prefer to be in Tenerife but couldn't afford it.

We paid about one thousand to stay at el.sombrero last Christmas for ten days and when you compare that with the luxury here in Turkey, it's a joke.

I love LG though.

Offline gaz

• regular contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017 »
Can not understand all inclusive as by staying there you are not helping local economy and not engaging in local culture, you may as well stay in Blackpool. Channel 4 did a programme a few years ago about difference in cost between all inclusive and self catering and self catering cost less. The problem with most expats who go to LG is that they go to British restaurants and bars and never leave LG. Do yourselves a favour and go to places like Bar Antonio in Playa San Juan or La Barrica in Cuelvo de Polvo excellent fresh food at cheap prices and unlike some British establishments do not have 3 price structures , 1 for locals, 1 for swallows and 1 for tourists. There is more to Tenerife than little Britain also known as lg go up the road to Playa La Arena to Am Eck or Domingos 2 excellent restaurants serving fresh food unlike the frozen food served in LG. Get a cheap flight and now with new regs cheap apartment and have a proper 5 star hol for less than trouble hotspot Turkey.

Offline blarer

• Old Hand
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2017 »
You're presuming SandyLea doesn't use these places when staying in Los Gigantes

Offline magsnmike

• Old Hand
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017 »
We try and spread our holiday across LG, PS and Arena and occasionally will go to Alcala or San Juan.  We do not stay in the village all of the holiday, but it is a holiday and time to relax so I think if people choose to stay within the village it is their choice to do so and they are still adding to the economy.  It is still cheaper to eat a meal, starter, main course wine and beer, in LG, PS and Arena than it is here in England.  Price wise I still think you get excellent value for money. 

I hope it is true about the ruling in Madrid as it will open up the rental market yet again, and is only good news for the whole of the island.   

Offline LucyW

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2017 »
The Supteme court ruling will not change anything regarding the letting of private apartments and the Canarian Government have already lodged their appeal. Owners will still have to apply for a licence to enable them to let and jump through so many hoops, not the least being declaration of tax on income & IVA that they will be running for the hills. It will also remain illegal to let on complexes classified as residential, which covers the majority of apartments in Los Gigantes.

Offline SandyLea

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2017 »
We do actually go to very authentic restaurants, tapas places when in Tenerife. The point I am trying to make is that a holiday in Tenerife, whether all inclusive or self catering, is more expensive than a holiday in Greece, turkey.or even mainland Spain and the Tenerife accommodation is not up to the other destination's standards unless you pay maybe Four times as much.

It is all very noble of you espousing the need to put money into the local economy by tourists but tourists have a budget and if Tenerife is not competitive it will lose out.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2017 »
LucyW, whilst I am in no position to disagree with you there must be something going on, why have Ashotel already saying they are prepared to renegotiate, of course the Government will appeal (lucky for them).

What needs to be done is that the appeal court needs information like ours where the Government sent  Inspectors to complexes, they did not even get into ours because it is a gated complex, they fined owners at random on top of the 8 I have mentioned they also fined 3 other owners, these owners do not even let other family members use their properties, in fact one comes for 4 months Jan to Apr it is then closed down until  they return the next January.

Other anomalies, we had owners, owning more than one apartment, also Spanish & Italian owners how random it was, none of these were fined. 

Offline blarer

• Old Hand
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2017 »
Re the article in Island Connections. The Spanish Government are taking the ruling on the Vivienda Vacacional Decree to the Appeal Court.

Offline frogeddy

• Old Hand
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2017 »
I understand that it is the Canarian Government that are appealing, not the Spanish Government.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2017 »
Lesleyjee

Please write to the uk financial ombudsman and don't woory about my reference to brexit

That was a red herring in so far as the changes to legal agreements in europe which they must abide by

Offline gaz

• regular contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2017 »
LucyW if you read the article in Island Connections you will see that private rentals will be allowed even the letting of individual rooms will be allowed, there is no mention of exclusions to this. As regards forms and hoops to be jumped through the court stated there were too many of these and they needed to be reduced. It was expected that the Canarian Government would appeal but as the Supreme Court ruled it was anti competition that would mean it is against EU Law so do not see them winning that, so lets look forward to cheaper rents.

Offline gaz

• regular contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2017 »
Sandy Lea I do not know where you eat and drink in Tenerife but time you looked around because there is no way anywhere in Spain is cheaper than Tenerife, you can go into Bar Central and get a beer for a euro ,food also dirt cheap, wont get cheaper anywhere else maybe Turkey alright but who wants to go to Turkey very few that why it cheap, not as safe as Canaries.

Offline LucyW

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2017 »
Gaz - You are very naive if you think the court ruling is going to make Los Gigantes awash with cheap rentals. The majority of complexes are classified as residential and it will still remain illegal to rent out these apartments for holiday lets. Despite the ruling. the Canarian Government will still have the right and the power to insist that any touristic apartments for let will require to be properly licenced, insured for letting, meet current electrical standards (which will mean a rewire for many) and be registered with the tax authorities. Do you think the owners are going to absorb the expenses involved with meeting these requirements and then reduce their rentals?