Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Getting expensive  (Read 30975 times)

Offline Georgie

Getting expensive
« on: April 11, 2017 »
Is it me but trying to book for Xmas and the prices seem to be for both flights and accomendation getting more expensive than last year

Any suggestions would help please

Offline SandyLea

• Old Hand
Re: Getting expensive
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017 »
Agreed. It's just cost us two thousand to stay a week from 22 Dec at los gig hotel half board for this coming Xmas. El sombrero doesn't work out much cheaper when you factor in eating out every day. Last Xmas was only 1600.

Offline magsnmike

• Old Hand
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017 »
I have booked my flights and hotel separately direct through the airline and the hotel.  Got quite a good deal. Same dates as last year.

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017 »
I booked my flights at end of  January for next January, also booked them 6 months in advance for summer hols, seems to me that you don't get last minute deals these days. Having said that I always book in advance for work reasons, but they are definitely increasing in price. We always pay a fortune for Scottish departures anyway.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017 »
Cheapest for me is at the royal sun resort

Has anyone stayed here before

I know the walk up after a few drinks is a killer

Offline unhappy

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017 »
Russian owned & when we went up to have a look, many of them there & if you have had the displeasure of being with them, you would not do it again. We used to complain about the Germans, they are angles compared  to the Russians. Also had a chicken sandwich while we were up there, it turned out to be chicken paste & the staff were not much better. You pay your money you take your choice.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017 »
It is a pity that I got a good deal with the los gigantes hotel but they don't. Do bed and breakfast only half board

Has any one stayed in the north of the island and can you fly direct there

Offline magsnmike

• Old Hand
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017 »
If you got a good deal with the hotel ask if you can have half board option as lunch and then eat out in the evening.   Would not stay at the Royal Sun as per other comments.

Offline cs

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017 »
you can get information on flights from your chosen airport to Tenerife North from sky scanner

Offline SandyLea

• Old Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017 »
If you want a nice place to stay in Puerto de la Cruz, try ambassador apartments on Thomson website. I can highly recommend. I too wish LG hotel did b and b not just half board.

Talking of Russians, we've just come back from Paphos and they are everywhere there and buying up property there like mad and Russian signage everywhere. Very abrupt, unfriendly people.

Offline Shifnalgirl

• regular contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017 »
You might be best looking at apartments try on booking.com. I think prices have risen in the last year or so but I think this is driven by supply and demand especially in the Winter good luck

Offline Georgie

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017 »
Thanks everyone for the feedback

Mags minke I totally agree with what you said

We have a lovely breakfast then tea and cake around 4 after a long walk

We don't like the evening meal arrangements because we have enough stress and like to go out in the evening

But we are definitely going to the thai

Offline linda

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017 »
Not many Russians at royal sun as now contracted to Thomson we go up there sometimes for a drink or a meal found everyone fine.

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Gods Work
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017 »
We can spot the Russians on sight, they all look like they got dressed in the dark, with the garish clothes pulled out of an old haversack!

Offline Georgie

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017 »
Pilgrim

Are you sure that they are not arsenal supporters xx

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Gods Work
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017 »
Yes, they could be Arsenal and Chelsea and Spurs with a bit of Palace all thrown in. Rainbow may also be a description.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017 »
Very good

Come on Chelsea this afternoon

Offline Georgie

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017 »
Still cannot get a good deal for Xmas

Should I give it a few months longer and see what happens

Also there are no rental able apartments in lg and we don't want to go elsewhere

What are El sombrero apartments like

We can book via Thomas cook

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017 »
El Sombrero are very good. Basic but spotlessly clean. Beautiful gardens maintained by Borderio, excellent pool area, nice pool bar serving snacks and the location is great, as you know, across the road from the Harbour Club.

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Gods Work
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017 »
Are the El Sombrero apartments time share.

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017 »
No they are run by Juan, Pedro and Borderio, who I think is on the village council, or he's always involved in the fund raising events for the  Carnivals but they've recently let some of there apartments to Thomas Cook, they also do car hire. We stayed in those apartments around four times, a lot of swallows return every winter. We still go and have a chat with them when we come out every January.  I'd definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a place to stay.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017 »
I am afraid the costs for accommodation are going to go up & up, with what the hotelier groups have done to stop private letting and the Government not allowing any further Tourist Licences for any complexes. Compound this with the troubles in other parts of the Tourist world, I am afraid it is lack of supply plus an increase in demand.

I know from first hand talking to holiday makers who have rented in my complex legally in January & February 2 weeks late Jan 1700.00 - 1 week Feb including UK flights 1900.00.

I was also talking to an owner in a legal complex near by this week again this is a complex with dual owners, outrights & timeshare they said that any timeshare owner who wants extra weeks they used to pay just the maintenance fee for those weeks but now they will have to pay the going rate of 700.00 per week. These costs are for accommodation only.

The only good thing you could say is that owners of apartments in legally Touristic complexes could be rubbing their hands, their properties are going to be worth a lot more money in the future when they want to sell them.

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017 »
Regardless of cost I would go stir crazy without my holidays every year. Work's getting more stressful every week so no matter how much the prices increase, we'll be there.

Offline Mary

• Old Hand
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017 »
If it's winter sun people want then your options excluding long haul are limited.
Before we retired we always came over for  Xmas as we had closed our business down for a couple of weeks,
And flights were  always very very expensive.
We still come out two or three times a year, but not over the Xmas period so find flights much less expensive.
Also as places like Turkey and holiday resorts around that area are perceived to be a risk for some holidaymakers, the Canaries are increasingly attractive, and this is reflected in prices, it's all about supply and demand.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017 »
Just booked El sombrero opposite harbour club

Got a good deal with Thomas Cook and after reading the excellent reviews can't wait

Happy days

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017 »
I'm sure you'll love it Georgie, as I said, excellent location and very clean.

Offline will

• regular contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017 »
Hope it has wi fi or you may have withdrawal symptoms

Offline gaz

• regular contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017 »
I read in Island Connections that the Supreme Court in Madrid has dealt a blow to the hoteliers and is to allow private renting even the renting of a single room. So in near future more rooms and apartments will become available thus driving down prices.

Offline Georgie

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017 »
Will

I must admit I very rarely go on Internet when I am away

I am on a computer all day every day so it is a great escape having no wifi

Also very rarely read papers abroad

But on trip advisor it does say you have to pay for wi if so I know what you mean

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017 »
They charge daily for WiFi. You're better having a wine or coffee in the village at green corner, bamboo bar etc and using theirs.