Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Retaining Wall at Fisherwoman's Roundabout  (Read 5040 times)

Fitbadaft

Since the last time I was here, there appears to have been a retaining wall built at the above roundabout.
I am seriously concerned in respect of safety of this wall for the following reasons.

1)The wall appears to have been built off the pavement's surface

2) The wall does not appear to have any lateral restraint

I would now like if someone could investigate who the Structural Engineer was, who approved it in the Building Control Department and who the Contractor was.

I currently advise nobody to use this path until further investigations can be made on the wall's safety.

Offline Edward Bear

Re: Retaining Wall at Fisherwoman's Roundabout
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018 »
Hi fitbadaft, perhaps a visit to Santiago del Teide council offices may be a good route to take. Alternatively the local Police station.
Just a thought.

Offline frogeddy

• Old Hand
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018 »
Mr Bear ..... do you realise that you have just replied to a post that is four years old??? ..... or is this one of your jokes?..

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Gods Work
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018 »
And you don't need building regs after 4 years (structure still being up - that is).

Offline Edward Bear

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018 »
Sorry folks, put it down to advancing years and dodgy eyesight.

Offline el presidente

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018 »
fitbadaft,
I watched the wall being built, so I can answer your concerns!
(1) The wall was built with proper foundations ie deep trench, and not off the pavement's surface.
(2) The concrete was poured into steel shutters. Steel reinforcing bars give the wall lateral restraint.
Hope this helps.

Offline Fitbadaft

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018 »
It is clear to see the following,

The concrete wall lies on the pavement as

1) The  concrete slurry that came out the bottom of the steel shutters is evidence that the shutters started from pavement level. It is more apparent at the slopes where the disabled access slopes down to the road.

2)The pavement does not have a continuous mortar line where the wall would have abutted the  crazy pavement stones.This indicates that the stone paviour material lies under the wall and that the wall was built off the pavement.

Although no danger has occurred over the years the rock formation in this area is unstable and any build up or rock fall could render the wall dangerous.

Offline unhappy

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018 »
Dont worry when they sell this plot for even more apts it will more than probably all collapse into the road anyway.

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Gods Work
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018 »
Fitbadaft, if you are looking into building defects around LG, You better reserve a few lifetimes!

Offline lesleygee

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018 »
In particular, those steps at the green corner. They make me ill. I've seen a few near misses.