Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: TAKE CARE OUT THERE  (Read 4751 times)

Offline amibovvered

TAKE CARE OUT THERE
« on: March 21, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • This is intended as much for residents as it is for holidaymakers although the latter do tend to be more vulnerable. 

There are so many reports of petty street crimes, from incidents at cashpoint machines to pickpocketing at bus stations, to cars being targeted as they drive away from the airport Ö the list goes on. And unfortunately the message is starting to get around and people are becoming nervous. I have even had one person ask if it was really still safe to come to Tenerife, and whether we shouldnít start officially warning people to stay away.

Tenerife is like many other places in Europe in the respect that crime has increased as the economic situation has worsened, and we are not immune, either, from eastern European gangs whose main purpose is to thieve, as Iíve posted previously. I have also posted, however, how the police regularly round up these vermin, and frankly, if I were to be arrested and depend on my rights for fluffy treatment in any country, Spain would not be top of my list!

Of course it is still safe to come here, and no, we shouldnít be warning people to stay away. We should, however, be warning people to be careful. The problem is that for so long people have come here as to an idyllic holiday paradise and left their brains at home. That used to be possible. Now it isnít. Donít, for example, stop your car unless ordered to by the police. If you do stop it, donít both get out and leave the doors open for the convenience of any nearby thieves. Donít flash bundles of Euros around at cashpoints admiring the pretty pictures on those strange Euro notes. Donít wear flash jewellery and wander around, perhaps a bit the worse for wear, in the early hours. Just carry the amount of spending money youíre going to need at any given time, and leave the credit cards in the safe.  Ladies make sure your handbag is in your full view at all times and everyone, don't place your "iPhone" on the corner of the table/bar in a cafe/bar/restaurant where it can easily be snatched by an opportunist.
    Itís not rocket science, is it? This isnít outrageous advice, itís just common sense. Plenty of people have come here over the years and left without experiencing crime of any sort. Plenty still do. The whole economy and political structure of Europe is changing, however, and Iím afraid that we now need to wear our sensible heads at all times, rather than leaving them at home or in the airport.

source: Janet Anscombe
    « Last Edit: March 21, 2013 by amibovvered »

FredLee

Re: TAKE CARE OUT THERE
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for the advice - you're so right - I have always trusted the Spanish and have gone on holiday never fearing they would rob me but these days there are some truly horrible people who make it their life's work to con and rob people - especially the tourist who has money.   It will never stop me coming to Tenerife as I love it there so much.   I came back on the 8th February after a beautiful three week holiday there and regard Los Gigantes as my home from home.   I hope the police catch these people and give them a really hard time, then boot them off the island and make it so that they don't want to come back because of the consequences should they get caught again.    Not only do these scumbags give Tenerife a bad name but also the tourists/visitors could mistake these thieves for the Spanish which is totally unfair.   

Offline GandT

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Great advice, we arrive on Saturday and looking forward to another great time in LG.
    My wife was relieved  of her bag in a bar near Route 66 a few years ago and so was a French girl near to us.
    Fortunately the Police caught the guy with her passport and he got his justice up in the hills on the way to Adeje Jail. Don,t think this particular Maroccan lad will steal any more bags for a while.

Offline janey

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • i would like to say that it normally isnt the local spanish who are thieves, it is normally immigrants in spain.

i spend much of my time in tenerife, and, maybe i am fortunate but i have never seen nor know of anyone who has had any major problem in the los gigs/pto santiago area.  it is still pretty safe.

the immigrants arrive at the airport or ferry port and as they have very little or no money, they tend to migrate around the resorts nearest to where they disembarked.  it would cost them considerably to get to our area, most of them probably havent even heard of it, i just think (maybe foolishly some will say) that they tend to thrive in the more southern resorts of las am, los chris, adeje and have no need to travel up to the west.   these areas are the ones i would be extremely careful in, more so than ours.

Offline linda

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • True but i had my bag stolen earlier in year from Alcala and  they were not spanish.

magsnmike

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Unfortunately this is a world wide problem and I think that when you are at home or travelling anywhere else you are very aware of your surroundings and behave accordingly.

We have treated Los Gigs/PS a little bit like "Shangri- La" and rightly so to some extent, but like everywhere else we have got to be careful.    :)

Offline janey

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • True but i had my bag stolen earlier in year from Alcala and  they were not spanish.

i would always be on guard at the local fiestas/carnivals in february, july and august in ours and neighbouring resorts - these would attract the thieves.

PABLADO LUV IT

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Really worried about this post

Is it that bad.

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
    « Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Pablado, with a bit of sensible and reasonable care you will probably never have a problem.  You are much more likely to be knocked down by a Titsa bus!  Sorry, hope this possibility doesn't put you off visiting!

Offline amibovvered

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Really worried about this post

Is it that bad.

As I said in my original post

Of course it is still safe to come here, and no, we shouldnít be warning people to stay away. We should, however, be warning people to be careful.

Offline Jodie

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • My thoughts exactly, I dont take handbags, just enough money for what I need. Gents dont put your money in your back pockets, I have known somebody to have had money stolen, in a bar in daylight, they followed him in one kept him talking another took the money.  Just because you are on holiday, dont be lax, treat like you are at home