Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: spanish lessons  (Read 5070 times)

squashplayer

spanish lessons
« on: May 28, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • Does anyone know of any Spanish language courses available in Los Gig or close by , or perhaps someone who does private lessons

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
    Re: spanish lessons
    « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • Try Jo in Caleo Savaje (922 86 74 06 01 & 627 76 89 18).  Maximum class size is usually six but there were only four in my class.  She runs beginners, intermediate, advanced and refresher courses, usually 8 lessons per session.  Excellent and professional English national teacher.

t l c

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • There is a language school opp the sun set apts at the top of the street, I cannot remember the name of the stree, but if you go past Sun Holidays (around from Spanish Corner) & past that hotel, carry on up that street, past the Transito - it's at the top of there.

Offline amibovvered

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • and here's me thinking that NOBODY speaks Spanish in Los Gigantes ;) ;)

Offline chocoholic

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • Hiya,  I would just like to agree with Tanemera - Jo from Callao is absolutely brilliant.  Whenever I come over I always have some lessons with her (even if it's just for a couple of weeks).  The difference it makes is unbelievable.  Last time I had two lessons per week for 6 weeks and I learned more from Jo, than I did in a whole term at night school back in the UK.

She is very patient and encouraging, and I don't know if it's the method she uses but, I seem to be able to retain it much easier (not usually the case as I have a memory like a sieve)!!!

Jo will  teach you one-to-one if her classes are full.  Also, one of the main things is that because she has lived in Tenerife for a long time - she gives you all the local dialect, sayings, advice etc. etc.  I absolutely LOVE going for Spanish lessons with her.  If only I lived in Tenerife permanently - I would be fluent within a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
    « Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • Hiya,  I would just like to agree with Tanemera - Jo from Callao is absolutely brilliant.  Whenever I come over I always have some lessons with her (even if it's just for a couple of weeks).  The difference it makes is unbelievable.  Last time I had two lessons per week for 6 weeks and I learned more from Jo, than I did in a whole term at night school back in the UK.

She is very patient and encouraging, and I don't know if it's the method she uses but, I seem to be able to retain it much easier (not usually the case as I have a memory like a sieve)!!!

Jo will  teach you one-to-one if her classes are full.  Also, one of the main things is that because she has lived in Tenerife for a long time - she gives you all the local dialect, sayings, advice etc. etc.  I absolutely LOVE going for Spanish lessons with her.  If only I lived in Tenerife permanently - I would be fluent within a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All very true.  I found 2 lessons per week for 8 weeks made a significant difference to my grasp of the language.  However, it is essential to put the hours in doing homework between lessons, so it's not just a matter of sitting in the class for a couple of hours a week.  Now if only I could find someone in Los G who actually speaks Spanish, I could practice!

stevejclark

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • It's true that it's difficult to actually use any Spanish you've learnt in and around LG, apart from some of the restaurants. I could be radical and suggest you go a bit further afield occasionally, if time allows. I've been lucky enough to have a brilliant Spanish teacher in the UK evening classes I go to and as we like going 'off the beaten track' now and again in Tenerife, I've been able to put some of the Spanish I've learnt into practice, especially in the little villages in the north. I should add that it's taken me about 7 years to get to the nearly fluent stage!! :D

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
    « Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • It's true that it's difficult to actually use any Spanish you've learnt in and around LG, apart from some of the restaurants. I could be radical and suggest you go a bit further afield occasionally, if time allows. I've been lucky enough to have a brilliant Spanish teacher in the UK evening classes I go to and as we like going 'off the beaten track' now and again in Tenerife, I've been able to put some of the Spanish I've learnt into practice, especially in the little villages in the north. I should add that it's taken me about 7 years to get to the nearly fluent stage!! :D

My comment about practicing Spanish was tongue in cheek, as I do go 'off the beaten track' three or four times a week.  Being able to converse with locals in rural locations makes learning a bit of the language all worth while.  Meeting the "real" locals is a privilege not to be missed and they seem so pleased that you are taking an interest in their home.  It also takes some of the risk out of choosing from the rural restaurant menus!
    « Last Edit: June 01, 2012 by Tanemera »

Offline janey

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • for those who want to practice their spanish and not go up to the villages, take a walk over to puerto santiago, the bars, restaurants and the supermarkets are spanish ran and their english isnt fluent.

Offline amibovvered

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012 »
  • Publish

Wow, that's impressive.  There are people who have lived in Los Gigantes for 20 years and they still can't get past "Hola".

stevejclark

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • Exactamente, mi amigo!