Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Just got back......  (Read 3276 times)

swede

Just got back......
« on: July 14, 2008 »
  • Publish
  •  :( and missing LG already. Had a great time as usual, but can't believe the place is just getting more and more quiet. Have been coming over since i was a teenager (about 15 yrs ago!) and have noticed a notable lack of people and atmosphere around in the evenings. I came over with my small children and my parents so we only wanted to relax and enjoy the always wonderful Oasis and a few meals out. We ended up going to Santiago in the evenings so we could see other human beings eating out! (Little Italy in LG was the only place that looked busy). Went for a great meal at Barco de Nino in Santiago, the food and location were beautiful (I think that's what it's called- can't remember the name exactly so apologies if that's wrong!) my parents had the set menu which was fantastic. We also went to the restaurant next door which was quite good too.
    Even though LG was quiet, we still had a great time. Nothing beats waking up to that view every morning!

BL

Re: Just got back......
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • I do agree - LG remains beautiful but it is soooo quiet. A few weeks ago we ate in LG and it was like a ghost town. It is so sad, especially when you think of how it was 5 yrs ago...really alive and buzzing.
    I can't help but look towards the build in Puerto Santiago...Balcon de los Gigantes. This, I believe is a residential build with only a residential licence, and yet the apartments are being advertised blatently on the internet...even on Los Gigantes dot com!!!!! They pull in the holiday makers, they eat down in the Barcelo area...that area supports the restaurants whilst they close in LG.
    Coincidence?????

magsnmike

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • We have been visiting the area since 1992 and have always personally preferred to stay in PS as its central for LG and Arena. We are then able to visit all three locations and spend our holiday money across the whole area.

I have stayed at Tamaimo Tropical and recently at Balcon.

I do not believe the building of Balcon can be held responsible for LG being so quiet. We only tend to visit over the Xmas/New Year period and even then the Balcon is almost empty.

There must be other things responsible for LG's apparent demise.  One thing we noticed in January is the "click" that seem to think that LG is theirs and can make you feel like an intruder. I am no shrinking violet and personally am not affected by this attitude but it is clearly obvious whilst people watching.

I do not wish to appear to be negative as I genuinely love the place but if its so quiet now, the people that have the power to change things need to do so quickly.

I wish everyone good luck in trying to improve the situation.

amunette

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • I think the main problem is, after lack of accomodation, LG area used to get a lot of allocation on arrival people and the overspill from PDLA when overbookings occured. With all the construction that has gone on in the PDLA area, not necessary now as plenty of spare accomodation in that area.

RoyL

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • I have posted on this subject before, but I will say it again anyway. The village was built on tourism. The tourists found the place alive and buzzing, you could sing and dance till dawn if you wanted to. These same tourists thought "Wow! what a great place to live" and bought places for their retirement. Having reached the age of retirement they found that they preferred a slower pace of life and wanted to be tucked up in bed by 10.30pm. Cant do that with all those lively bars can you? So complain to the Mayor and the council, get them all to shut up at 12 pm. Ahh! bliss!...hold on a minute, where have all the tourists gone? Why are all our bars and shops closing down? Blame everything except the 12 pm curfew.
    Los Gigantes really needed to decide whether they cater for holidaymakers or local residents. Unfortunately for the bars, restaurants and shops they chose residents.  :(

Caroline

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • A bit concerned reading this thread.  I have visited and loved Los Gigantes 4 times previously and am booked to go again for my 5th visit this August.  I haven't been for 12 years now and this is going to be the first visit for my husband and son.  The thing I loved most about LG was that it had a 'bit' of life, all be it very low key and subdued - I'm not a loud music, drinking until dawn type of person, if I was I'd stay elsewhere on the island (and I think we all know where!).  I have raved and raved about LG to my family for a few years now and I finally won them this year and got my wish to return.  I really hope it hasn't changed too much - that would be a real shame.  At least the beautiful view won't have changed I guess - I have wonderful memories of that view, one of the best I've ever seen and I've travelled a lot. 

orange

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • Your observations after a 12 year gap will be very interesting to read Caroline.
    It hasn't quite reached the point of walking zombies and tolling bells...

amunette

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • Ooooer, in for a bit of a shock methinks :o!!! sometimes things are best left as just memories, I think this is one of those times sorry!! I hope you have a lovely holiday, the view is indeed superb, that at least remains unchanged!!

Caroline

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • Oh no, what a shame.  I actually imagined that it would have been spoilt by getting noisier and busier as people might have discovered it in my 12 year gap - it seems from what you've all said that the opposite might be true!  I will make a point of posting my observations when I get back for your interest.  I'm sure I'll enjoy my holiday anyway and am looking forward to a well earned rest lounging around in the sun for a couple of weeks and of course gazing at the amazing view that won't have altered.  We're hoping to hire a car for a week of our hol and visit the places on the island that I (a) want to see again and (b) haven't seen yet.  Any recommendations of places (other than the norms ie Teide etc) would be much appreciated.

wags

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • Not to much as changed over the last 12years, yes visitor numbers are down ?you can get a seat in a bar now?. the main change you will see the bus stop is now up the top by the sports centre ONLY buses going to the council flats going though the village, good thing

Have a nice holiday Caroline and don?t leave it 12years to return again