Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: gym  (Read 4204 times)

sun

gym
« on: August 21, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • we are coming over near the losgigantes area for 4months and we are looking for a good gym or a trainer to help us train when we are there ..could anyone let us know   thanks

Offline Dolly Diver

Re: gym
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • There is a very nice gym at the Playa Arena hotel.  They used to have private trainers (English speaking), probably still do.  It will be worth popping in to see them when you arrive.

Alternatively there is the Pangracias Sports Centre (run by the council and not expensive). It's  only a couple of hundred metres further up the road from the entrance to the Playa Arena hotel.  They do have personal trainers but probably not English speaking.

Offline chocoholic

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • Hiya Sun,  I come over to Tenerife for two months in January and February (and lots of times in between) and always use the Council run gym at the top of the hill from Play Arena Hotel  (the one that Dolly mentioned)  It's brilliant - there are two large rooms, one containing all weights etc., and the other with all the cardio machines (they are very good).  During the winter months lots of swallows use this gym and it's really friendly.  There is also a massive swimming pool (I can't swim unfortunately)  The staff, although Spanish all speak English and are very helpful.  They will show you how to use machines etc.  They will also create a training programme for you.  Every morning and evening they also run classes such as spinning, Pilate's etc.  It costs 4 euro per day Monday to Friday and 3 euro on a Saturday and Sunday.  However, it would be much cheaper if you paid for a 4 monthly pass.  You can do this at the reception - it only takes 10 minutes.  One word of warning though - for some VERY strange reason, the monthly passes seem to run from the 1st of every month, so if you are coming over say in the middle of September, it may be cheaper to just get a 3 monthly pass, and pay the daily rate up until then (hope that makes sense)!

I'm actually coming over on Sunday for 3 weeks so if you are there and see a little chubby woman pounding away that's me!!!

Offline Davymar

• Old Hand
    « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • I have to ask out of idle curiosity, why would you want to come on holiday and go to a gym?
    Surely you should be helping the local economy by quafing large amounts of local Vino and cervasa.
    You can then exercise by walking the many delightful routes around the surrounding countryside, even stoping for the occasional ciggy and light refreshment on the way.
    It is a fact of life that each and every one of us only has so many breaths in our lifetime, a bit like a car engine, so why waste it by going to a gym.

confused of keynsham.

Offline chocoholic

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • Hiya Confused of Keynsham!

Well I will try and explain why I need to go to the gym:-  I most certainly do support the local economy and this is where the problem lies - the restaurants in our area are just so good I have to eat in them most nights.  Now you can't enjoy a good meal (well I can't)  without a bottle (or two) of local wine.  Do you see where I'm coming from?????  Then onto the Ice Cream parlour in Playa Arena - can I go and just order one flavour?  Of course I can't - I have to have the Passion Fruit, the Rosce (which is ferrer  rocher) and absolutely gorgeous and a scoop of caramel - are you getting the picture yet?  Well, in case you still don't understand  - all I can tell you is that I'm a greedy little bug...  so I need to go to the gym to work off all the calories I consume!!!

Offline Davymar

• Old Hand
    « Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • What an exellent reply! I can now understand why. I find myself doing all of the above, so at least we can console ourselves with the fact that we contribute a considerable amount toward the local economy.
    However I am basicly a lazy person (although I enjoy walking) so would not share your enthusiasm for the gym. I read somewhere that if you swallow a small Tapeworm, it does a very good job of controlling exess weight. I shall research this lazy persons weightloss on a rainy day, there could be money in it! :)

enlightened of Keynsham.

Offline jackngill

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011 »
  • Publish
  • just to add to the very informative previous answer,the council run pancracio is indeed excellent, we always join when we are out there, another good point is the tennis court cost comes free with membership, and speaking of membership they will do half monthly memberships if you can prove that you are flying home by showihg flight info.