Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Flights for Easter 2009  (Read 4136 times)

grockle

Flights for Easter 2009
« on: September 12, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • Following on from the doom and gloom of the sudden demise of XL I thought I would have an early look at prices for next year's school hols dates around Easter for 3 of us.
    easyJet's prices not yet released and others kicking about in the ?300 to ?400 per person bracket so I thought I'd have a look at one of those comparison websites....
    the best deal I could find on one, which I must share with you, was admittedly a one-stop at Madrid on the way flight taking a total of eleven and three quarter hours to get there. Dates 04/04/09 to 18/04/09 and "economy class".
    The total price for all 3 is shown as ?4606.80p !!!! - but this does helpfully include "all taxes"

The question that caused me to ponder on this for just under one nanosecond was - should I go ahead and book ? The answer was "No"

This is all a bit silly but why would they advertise flights at these sorts of prices if no-one actually purchased them ?

amunette

Re: Flights for Easter 2009
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • I think ?300 just for flights is scandalous :-[  You can get a last minute deal in somewhere posh for that!!

Offline janey

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • the prices are inflated at the moment due to XL, leave it a few weeks.... it will settle down. 
    although - i hadnt noticed the huge increase in prices mentioned....

orange

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • XL was not a small operator. The void it leaves is larger
    than many other collaspes - 90,000 to fly back with another
    220,000 on lost Flights.

If this void is left then it will only ensure that average
    prices will rachet up.

There is a certain amount of playing down on this situation
    and the figures keep going up. Hence the edit.
    « Last Edit: September 14, 2008 by orange »

POOKYBLUE

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • EASY JET will be bringing their flights out between November and December so check back every day. No way pay that amount, I'm sick of being ripped off and I just will not pay it.

Offline linda

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • Wait and see you have a new flight called kiss and also some other possibilities> just check everyday we did well as hubby 50 end oct got tickets ?30 each on easyjet because it was end of summer programme winter came ou t 2 months later got returns for ?20 each same tickets now ?400 each return.Be brave

grockle

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • You can occasionally get lucky and bag a bargain - but very rarely during peak times. Those school hols are always marked up at full price and I'm not aware that flight prices will drop at the last minute ?
    As it is, of course, with a family you have to plan ahead and book together to make sure you can all travel together on the required dates.
    This is where the airlines have us completely and utterly at their mercy and we pay for the 'privilege'.
    Back next year............I hope ?

Offline janey

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • i think you need to book early to grab a bargain. we come out in early january, ?125 each, the seats now are ?260.  mind you i look at the prices from gatwick and i am so jealous, they are really cheap!!  but i suppose my local airport is regional!  dublin is very, very cheap too - i sometimes think it would be worth flying there to fly out to tenerife......

linda - who are kiss?

grockle

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • Hi Janey,
    We travel out of Gatwick or Luton seeking cheap fares but I can assure you they don't exist in school hols so don't feel too despondent out in the regions !
    I haven't heard of kiss yet except in the context of 'kiss your money goodbye when booking air fares'. They are all as bad as each other !!

swede

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • Hi, i have been looking at flights for next august (as now got a child in school and i'm a teacher so we wil never ever get a cheap holiday again!). We always go with Monarch and as usual they are the cheapest - 3 seats + 1 baby, return flights from manchester with taxes for 770 quid. Not too bad for high season we thought.

grockle

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • No, that doesn't sound too bad, still a lot of money just to get to Tenerife though. I have just looked again at monarch prices for my dates and still the best price for 3 seats out of Gatwick is ?1011.45 or ?337.15 per head.
    Who said it was cheaper flying out of the bigger airports in the south / south east ??? It is less distance than Manchester too !!  ::)
    Still saving up.  :D

Offline janey

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • Hi, i have been looking at flights for next august (as now got a child in school and i'm a teacher so we wil never ever get a cheap holiday again!). We always go with Monarch and as usual they are the cheapest - 3 seats + 1 baby, return flights from manchester with taxes for 770 quid. Not too bad for high season we thought.

i think that is a great price!  it is a 4 hour flight after all, and, monarch were always very good.  enjoy your holiday, make the most of it as the baby will soon be 2 and then its 4 seats....... ouch!!

Offline maps

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008 »
  • Publish
  • Monarch are always very good !! ?my backside? only just flown with them once never again, two and a half hour delay going out and a six hour delay coming back no leg room, no entertainment and the food! well don?t get me started on that one, but at least they got us there unlike X L

I suggest you stick to a  regional airport just had a look for march from Cardiff ?181 each with Thomas cook fantastic I would say
    EVERYDAY WHEN I WAKE UP, I THANK THE LORD I'M WELSH