Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Carnival Dates and PROGRAM OF EVENTS FEB 2013  (Read 13817 times)

Offline Dolly Diver

Carnival dates for 2013

21st - 25th February

The theme is CINEMA

Carnaval program in Spanish, English and German http://www.losgigantes.com/news/

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013 by Dolly Diver »

Gooner1

Re: Carnival Dates 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • Dolly,
    Can yoy please confirm 2013 Carnival dates. I am sure that you are correct but Old Dogs New Tricks band website says that they are playing in the square for LG carnival on 5th March!

Offline dablar

• Old Hand
    « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012 »
  • Publish
  • 21 to 25 Feb correct, 10 days after Shrove Tuesday. Looks like Carnaval has been spared Old Dogs New Tricks then.

kirktonlass

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • great to hear that as we are coming out on Feb 23rd for a week so will catch 3 days of it!!   Any idea where we can find a programme of events?

Offline Dolly Diver

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • I will post the program of events when it is available - generally around 1 week before.

In past years:-
    Thursday evening - election of Carnaval Queen
    Friday evening- band/dancing
    Sat afternoon - kids activies and in the evening band/dancing until the wee small hours, if you can keep up!
    Sunday afternoon - grand parade (sometimes band/dancing in the evenings but sometimes a quiet night)
    Monday evening - Sardine and fireworks followed by band/dancing

Offline Dolly Diver

Re: Carnival Dates and PROGRAM OF EVENTS FEB 2013
    « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Carnaval program in Spanish, English and German http://www.losgigantes.com/news/

OldGigantes

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Can someone please explain the merits of holding this carnival in LG. Talking with local residents there appears to be a certain amount of trepidation about this years event due to previous years experience of vandalism and the constant disgusting practice of drunken people urinating in residents gardens and terraces (despite the organisers providing toilet facilities), not to mention the noise nuisance to the village. Local bars and restaurants are requested to contribute towards the cost of holding this event but the places that I frequent say they get little or no benefit from this event. I'm not sure if this is correct but I have been told that this is the last year the current organiser will be involved with the Carnival and, unless some good samaritan comes forward, it may not happen in future years. I am sure many people would be disappointed if that were to be the case, but I'm also sure that many of the local residents, me included, would say good riddance!

Offline linda

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Los gigantes carnival has been going for many years and is a locals event that tourists are welcome to partake in.It has bought revenue to LG and is enjoyed by many the sad thing is the problems are usually caused by the tourists.

Offline Dolly Diver

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • In thes tough times it is so nice to see so many people, both residents and tourists letting their hair down and putting all their troubles and woes to one side for a day or two to enjoying carnaval. 

The square will be packed for these events. So for the few who don't like carnaval please don't try to spoil it for those who put in all the hard work and look forward to the events.  if it is really a problem take a few days away from Los Gigantes.

As for any mess, the ayuntamiento send in the clean up team at 7am each morning, by 8am the place ls clean and tidy again.

Los Gigantes is a tourist destination and needs events like this.

Offline linda

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Well said Dolly.

magsnmike

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • We were in Los Gigantes for last years Carnival and had an amazing time.

We were staying in LG and did not witness any problems at all.  Everyone we came across was in great humour and the locals and tourists had great times together.

Wish we could be there this time.  Have a great time.

Offline amibovvered

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Can someone please explain the merits of holding this carnival in LG. Talking with local residents there appears to be a certain amount of trepidation about this years event due to previous years experience of vandalism and the constant disgusting practice of drunken people urinating in residents gardens and terraces (despite the organisers providing toilet facilities), not to mention the noise nuisance to the village. Local bars and restaurants are requested to contribute towards the cost of holding this event but the places that I frequent say they get little or no benefit from this event. I'm not sure if this is correct but I have been told that this is the last year the current organiser will be involved with the Carnival and, unless some good samaritan comes forward, it may not happen in future years. I am sure many people would be disappointed if that were to be the case, but I'm also sure that many of the local residents, me included, would say good riddance!

Some village in the UK must be missing an idiot ;-)

OldGigantes

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013 »
  • Publish
  •  Amibovered, you are quite right, I've heard you are being sorely missed ! Maybe you should take your telly back home with you to sell as you are unable to make a constructive comment to my post. Obviously you are not a resident of LG.

Offline pilgrim

• Doing Gods Work
    « Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Well 'OldGigantes' maybe time to hang up the old boots, and get a retirement home on top of the hill. My neighbours have done just that back here, a beautiful apartment in a 'McCarthy & Stone' complex. It is really a great concept, purchase within a similar aged and minded community. When my wife are older and all being well it is certainly something that we would consider. Would be great in LG.

Offline janey

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • hear hear to all of you except old gigantes.  think the top of the hill still wouldnt be right for him!

Offline Dolly Diver

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • View the photosof Los Gigantes Carnival 2013 http://www.losgigantes.com/PhotoGallery/

stevejclark

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for the great photos, Dolly. Looks like a fun time was had by all and trust that there was no untoward behaviour which some were worried about. Looking forward to coming out on Thursday, assuming flights from Gatwick aren't affected by the snow here!

Offline will

• regular contributor
    « Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013 »
  • Publish
  • I was told turtle linda had to call for help at 5.30am on the Saturday night sunday morning.Also in Calle Tamara there was a football game being played in the early hours not by tourists or local residents but by canarian drunken youths,how they found an area to play is beyond me as this area is now a pavement car park and used as a public toilet behind the skips on a regular basis.

It is about time the local council looked into this area as it is an eyesore since the arrival of the SIX skips
    and since the parking charge at the marina you cannot walk on the path.