Media Player Los Gigantes!

Author Topic: Carnaval 2011  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
Carnaval 2011
« on: December 26, 2009 »
  • Publish
  • Yes, I do mean 2011 -  I'm trying to do some long term planning.  Does anyone know the dates or remember the formula for calculating them?  Thanks.

redflash2

Re: Carnaval 2011
    « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009 »
  • Publish
  • Carnaval in Los Gigantes is usally as follows!  On Shrove Tuesday there is thd huge parade in Santa Cruz and then that following weekend is the end of Carnaval for Santa Cruz.  The Los Gigantes carnval starts in the following week on either the Thursday or Friday and lasts until the Monday night with the Burial of the Sardine!  If you are coming out dont forget your costumes for the Saturday night competitions (theme will not be known until September time) and the Monday night for the Sardine when men dress as women and women as men all weeping and wailing at their beloved loss of the Sardine!!!  Usually at the beginning of Carnaval there is the election of the Queen night and it makes an enjoyable night to dine in the square and enjoy the show - that would be either the Thursday or the Friday dependant on the funds!!!  Saturday is the fancy dress ball and Sunday usually at 5ish there is the grand procession and dont forget afterwards to follow it down and watch the various groups performing for several hours.  The groups are usually ones which have won various categories in the Santa Cruz carnaval and therefore prestigious!  If you want to know more I shall try to help being the Big Star here for more than 20 years!!  Best wishes to my fan club for the new year and the forthcoming Carnaval starting 26th February and with the African theme!

Offline Tanemera

• Juan Tanemera
    « Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009 »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Redflash!  Using your information I have calculated the following...

2010: 26 Feb - 1 Mar (correct)
    2011: 18 Mar - 21 Mar
    2012: 2 Mar - 5 Mar
    2013: 22 Feb - 25 Feb
    2014: 14 Mar - 17 Mar

Do you agree?

redflash2

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009 »
  • Publish
  •  hello again! 

If these are your calculations based on Shrove Tuesday then they should be correct - but you must be mindful of the fact that we are in
    Spain.......... and anything can happen!!!

On the bright side I have been participating in Carnaval for more than 20 years and I can actually only recall this formula being changed on one occasion so the odds are pretty good that it should be as I explained!!!

The Carnaval dates are usually announced around September and this site will publish them promptly!  Sometimes the theme seems to be decided later for some reason!

I hope you come to join us in forthcoming Carnavals here in Los Gigantes as it is the highlight of the year!!  If I can be of assistance to you on any query you can always email me and I shall be happy to help!